Bruno's grocery stores

Chris322

Many Bruno's stores (Food World, Bruno's, Food Fair, Food Max) throughout the Southeast have been sold and converted to Southern Family Markets. Rumors are spreading that the Food Max store in Anniston, where I am employed, will soon become SFM. Does anyone have a comment about the already converted stores? What private label do they carry in the place of Southern Home? Do they still use the Bonus Value Card or any kind of loyalty card in any of the former Food World locations?

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many Bruno's stores (Food World, Bruno's, Food Fair, Food Max) throughout the Southeast have been sold and converted to Southern Family Markets. Rumors are spreading that the Food Max store in Anniston, where I am employed, will soon become SFM. Does anyone have a comment about the already converted stores? What private label do they carry in the place of Southern Home? Do they still use the Bonus Value Card or any kind of loyalty card in any of the former Food World locations?

Chris your store will not be converted to a SFM. The Anniston stores (FoodWorld, Foodmax) were not on the sold list . Our private label is Best Yet. So far we do not have a Bonus Card or Loyalty Card. I know that SFM is taking over 25-30 Bi-lo in TN. I could be wrong about what I told you.

Thanks,

pkrikard01

Chris your store will not be converted to a SFM. The Anniston stores (FoodWorld, Foodmax) were not on the sold list . Our private label is Best Yet. So far we do not have a Bonus Card or Loyalty Card. I know that SFM is taking over 25-30 Bi-lo in TN. I could be wrong about what I told you.

Thanks,

pkrikard01

Thanks for the info. Our management has been told to expect major changes in January. My guess now is that we may become a Food World, since only about 3 Foodmax stores still exist (#240, 241, 243). Our one and only Food World (#40) is about 20 feet away from a new Wal-Mart Supercenter. It is rumored that it will either move or close. Within the past two weeks, I have seen several Best Yet items come into our store. Most have been canned tomatoes, cat food, and frozen food. I guess it is just a mistaken shipment, since it all comes from the C&S warehouse.

Thanks for the info. Our management has been told to expect major changes in January. My guess now is that we may become a Food World, since only about 3 Foodmax stores still exist (#240, 241, 243). Our one and only Food World (#40) is about 20 feet away from a new Wal-Mart Supercenter. It is rumored that it will either move or close. Within the past two weeks, I have seen several Best Yet items come into our store. Most have been canned tomatoes, cat food, and frozen food. I guess it is just a mistaken shipment, since it all comes from the C&S warehouse.

Chris Keep in touch with whats going on in the Bi-Lo/Bruno's Co. SFM has already as closed 3 stores(former Bi-Lo's) in GA. and I'm looking for 1 or 2 more to close in AL. I will let you know if hear anything about your store. I hope SFM buys rest of the Bruno's Co. I have not seen any cat food in the Best Yet brand.

Thanks,

pkrikard01

We've been told that each Bruno's store will be closing for 24 hours in order to do a total reset. By what we have heard, this is starting with store 53 in Pelham. It has been thought that since the stores are actually closing for this reset, that they may re-open under the Bi-Lo name. Since we haven't settled a new contract yet, this would be a way for Bi-Lo to bust the union. Any opinions?

We've been told that each Bruno's store will be closing for 24 hours in order to do a total reset. By what we have heard, this is starting with store 53 in Pelham. It has been thought that since the stores are actually closing for this reset, that they may re-open under the Bi-Lo name. Since we haven't settled a new contract yet, this would be a way for Bi-Lo to bust the union. Any opinions?

I think they have to stayed closed longer than 24hrs to change to Bi-Lo to bust the union. Goodluck

thanks,

pkrikard

I felt a little sad today when I got my 2005 W-2 forms. under block c for Employer, it had "

BRUNO'S SUPERMARKETS, INC.

P.O. BOX 99

MAULDIN, SC 29662

It seems as if Bruno's has finally been stripped of all its Alabama ties and fully integrated with BI-LO. I still say it's just a matter of time before Southern Family Markets buys what's left of the once great company or eiter they will all be renamed BI-LO. :angry:

I felt a little sad today when I got my 2005 W-2 forms. under block c for Employer, it had "

BRUNO'S SUPERMARKETS, INC.

P.O. BOX 99

MAULDIN, SC 29662

It seems as if Bruno's has finally been stripped of all its Alabama ties and fully integrated with BI-LO. I still say it's just a matter of time before Southern Family Markets buys what's left of the once great company or eiter they will all be renamed BI-LO. :angry:

Hi Chris,

I am glad I don't work for Bi-Lo/Bruno's any more. I got W-2 from Bruno the other day after I got the one from SFM a wek ago. :sick:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Chris,

I am glad I don't work for Bi-Lo/Bruno's any more. I got W-2 from Bruno the other day after I got the one from SFM a wek ago. :sick:

The latest from the "Rumor Mill"

I'm beginning to think all these are just rumors that someone makes up to have something to talk about, but the latest from our UFCW rep. is that BI-LO has a list of 22 stores that will be either sold or closed. Our Food World is located about 20 feet from a new Wal-Mart Supercenter, and is rumored to be closing in the very near future. Some of those employees have over 25 years with Bruno's. Rumor is that BI-LO wants the "Red Circle" employees to take a cut in pay with the new contract. If they agree, the current Food Max stores will be renamed Food World, allowing them to transfer. If they do not agree, the store will simply close, leaving them without a job and us under the Food Max banner for another month or so, then we'll still become a Food World. Have you heard anything from the SFM point of view? The Union rep seems to think that if any other BI-LO stores are sold, that they will go to SFM.

The latest from the "Rumor Mill"

I'm beginning to think all these are just rumors that someone makes up to have something to talk about, but the latest from our UFCW rep. is that BI-LO has a list of 22 stores that will be either sold or closed. Our Food World is located about 20 feet from a new Wal-Mart Supercenter, and is rumored to be closing in the very near future. Some of those employees have over 25 years with Bruno's. Rumor is that BI-LO wants the "Red Circle" employees to take a cut in pay with the new contract. If they agree, the current Food Max stores will be renamed Food World, allowing them to transfer. If they do not agree, the store will simply close, leaving them without a job and us under the Food Max banner for another month or so, then we'll still become a Food World. Have you heard anything from the SFM point of view? The Union rep seems to think that if any other BI-LO stores are sold, that they will go to SFM.

Hi Chris,

Sorry I have not heard a thing lately. The posting I made I told you about SFM taking over about 30 Bi-Lo stores in TN. SFM has until March 30 to get rid of all Southern Home stuff. We are getting lot of Best Yest stuff. I think Best Yet carries more product then Southern Home. I will let you know if I hear something at the rumor mill.

Thanks,

Paul

Hi Chris,

Sorry I have not heard a thing lately. The posting I made I told you about SFM taking over about 30 Bi-Lo stores in TN. SFM has until March 30 to get rid of all Southern Home stuff. We are getting lot of Best Yest stuff. I think Best Yet carries more product then Southern Home. I will let you know if I hear something at the rumor mill.

Thanks,

Paul

I am still seeing a lot of Best Yet, too. I know we have cheese, a few canned goods, and some frozen foods. It is frustrating because our system doesn't recongnize the Best Yet stuff. You just get that annoying beep and "Item Not Found" on the register. I don't know how much you know about the front end, but are the registers and office procedures any easier with SFM? It seems since we went to the Bi-Lo system, everything is harder and it takes longer. For instance, when we used to do WIC orders, all we did was ring the stuff up, then put the WIC slip in like a check. Now, we have to key in "14 sign-on, enter date begin, enter date end, then sometimes repeat the date entering at the end. To cash a Western Union now, we have to scan the override thing twice and hit override on the register twice just to get it to take. And don't even think about trying to do anything under regular cashier numbers. The register screams at you immediately!

Hi Chris,

Thanks,

Paul

Hi Chris,

I saw on the internet that Bi-Lo and SFM is selling the 8 stores in Knoxville, TN. to Food City Markets (it might be supermarket) that has has about 28 stores in Knoxville, TN. Some of the stores have already converted over to SFM.

Thanks,

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Chris,

I saw on the internet that Bi-Lo and SFM is selling the 8 stores in Knoxville, TN. to Food City Markets (it might be supermarket) that has has about 28 stores in Knoxville, TN. Some of the stores have already converted over to SFM.

Thanks,

Paul

Chris

I saw on the internet that Bruno's is closing 20 stores. Can you email me list of the closing stores. email me at [email protected]

Thanks,

Paul

Chris

I saw on the internet that Bruno's is closing 20 stores. Can you email me list of the closing stores. email me at [email protected]

Thanks,

Paul

Paul,

If I knew which stores were closing I would be glad to tell you. However, we have not yet been told anything, nor can I find anything on the internet about it. Where did you find that? As of last Sunday, the only store that they have told us about is the closing of Food World #66 in Talladega. However, we have all been on an extremely strict review lately, so I wouldn't be surprised. I'll let you know if I hear anything.

Chris

• 2 months later...

BI-LO/Bruno's is supposed to be done with their restructuring process. The company, officially known as BI-LO, LLC, has about 330 stores in AL, FL,GA,TN,NC, and SC. BI-LO format stores and Food World stores are now running on the same platform while BI-LO Supercenters and Bruno's stores are on a separate upscale format. As BI-LO continues to align its Alabama stores with their counterparts in other states, Bruno's continues to lose business to the likes of Wal-Mart. The Talladega Food World, which had been open since about 1980, closed in March. Rumors continue to fly that the Anniston Food World, which opened in 1972, will close soon. In the case of Talladega, the Wal-Mart Supercenter was just across the street. In Anniston, a new Supercenter is literally next door, with no more that 15-20 feet between the two buildings. Does anyone in the Birmingham Metro, Anniston, Gadsden, or other surrounding areas have anything to say about their local Food World or Bruno's Stores? Without some help, Bruno's is on a steady course toward closure. I urge the people of Alabama to give up the few dollars of savings they gain by shopping at Wal-Mart in order to try to boost Bruno's back to the great company it once was.

BI-LO/Bruno's is supposed to be done with their restructuring process. The company, officially known as BI-LO, LLC, has about 330 stores in AL, FL,GA,TN,NC, and SC. BI-LO format stores and Food World stores are now running on the same platform while BI-LO Supercenters and Bruno's stores are on a separate upscale format. As BI-LO continues to align its Alabama stores with their counterparts in other states, Bruno's continues to lose business to the likes of Wal-Mart. The Talladega Food World, which had been open since about 1980, closed in March. Rumors continue to fly that the Anniston Food World, which opened in 1972, will close soon. In the case of Talladega, the Wal-Mart Supercenter was just across the street. In Anniston, a new Supercenter is literally next door, with no more that 15-20 feet between the two buildings. Does anyone in the Birmingham Metro, Anniston, Gadsden, or other surrounding areas have anything to say about their local Food World or Bruno's Stores? Without some help, Bruno's is on a steady course toward closure. I urge the people of Alabama to give up the few dollars of savings they gain by shopping at Wal-Mart in order to try to boost Bruno's back to the great company it once was.

The problem is Bruno's is no longer a company, it is just a name. Bi-Lo's kept the name trying to retain the local loyalty of long time Bruno's customers. Bi-Lo's has spent very little money on any of the local Bruno's stores. After they bought the Bruno's/Food World they bought a group of Winn-Dixie stores in TN, GA, and NC from the bankruptcy. The money that was planned for the local Bruno's renovations was diverted to the Winn-Dixie stores. Now the outdated Bruno's stores are having a hard time competing with the newer Publix and larger Wal-Marts.

The problem is Bruno's is no longer a company, it is just a name. Bi-Lo's kept the name trying to retain the local loyalty of long time Bruno's customers. Bi-Lo's has spent very little money on any of the local Bruno's stores. After they bought the Bruno's/Food World they bought a group of Winn-Dixie stores in TN, GA, and NC from the bankruptcy. The money that was planned for the local Bruno's renovations was diverted to the Winn-Dixie stores. Now the outdated Bruno's stores are having a hard time competing with the newer Publix and larger Wal-Marts.

You are absolutely correct. BI-LO announced today that Food World #40 in Anniston will close June 10. The store dates back to 1972, but it is actually one of the nicer stores. When Bruno's emerged from bankrupcy in 1999, they immediatley did a total remodel of the store.

You are absolutely correct. BI-LO announced today that Food World #40 in Anniston will close June 10. The store dates back to 1972, but it is actually one of the nicer stores. When Bruno's emerged from bankrupcy in 1999, they immediatley did a total remodel of the store.

Hi Chris,

The store I use to work at in Florence FoodMax/Foodworld(#78) was remodel after the bankrupcy but was closed later on. Then I went to #54 in B'ham. That was 7 yrs ago now I'm in #136 Muscle Shoals store a Southern Family Markets. We are geting a Aldi store in Florence, AL.

Thanks,

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Rumors:

The latest rumors circulating about the Bi-Lo/Bruno's company report a death of the Bruno's company. According to RUMOR, Publix has purchased most of the high volume stores, including Food World 68 in Sylacauga, 50 in Pell City, 49 in Rainbow City, and several more Bruno's stores in Birmingham. Rumor also states that stores doing less than $160,000 per week will be sold to Southern Family Markets or closed. Store 40 in Anniston closed last week, and Store 35 in East Gadsden is rumored to be closing. Can anyone within Bruno's, Publix or C&S/Southern Family Markets confirm of deny this rumor?

Hi Chris,

That is a new rumor to me. I will be surprised if Publix buys stores that are union.

Thanks again,

Paul from SFM

Latest Rumors:

The latest rumors circulating about the Bi-Lo/Bruno's company report a death of the Bruno's company. According to RUMOR, Publix has purchased most of the high volume stores, including Food World 68 in Sylacauga, 50 in Pell City, 49 in Rainbow City, and several more Bruno's stores in Birmingham. Rumor also states that stores doing less than $160,000 per week will be sold to Southern Family Markets or closed. Store 40 in Anniston closed last week, and Store 35 in East Gadsden is rumored to be closing. Can anyone within Bruno's, Publix or C&S/Southern Family Markets confirm of deny this rumor?

Hi Wartime,

Thanks for asking about SFM. SFM has lost lots of customers due to being the new kid on the block, but we are gaining our customers back with HUGE SALES. We just started are Price Freeze this morinig for the next 6 weeks. I know I had to work 2 midnight shifts the last 2 nights(only got 2 to 4 hrs of sleep in 2 days). SFM won't sit down and give a union contract that we both can live with (union and C&S.). C&S just got rid of 2 of the BIG BOYS in SFM. They hired Bill White who ran Bruno's before KKR took over and ran us into the ground(bankrupt us). SFM bought 104 stores now they only have little over 90 stores left (they closed about 3 or 4 and sold 8 to Food City in Knoxville,TN).

Thanks,

Paul

PS.

If I think or hear of anything else I will let you know

What about Southern Family? Is it going under as well?

Wartime

Bruno's is having the same issue with the union contract. Bi-Lo is non-union, and they don't want to negotiate a decent contract. Ours was up in May 2005. Bruno's is no where near the company it once was. We currently run 47 Food World stores, 5 Food Max stores, and 24 Bruno's stores. There may be a couple Food Fair stores left, but I think most of them went to SFM. There are no more that 80 Bruno's stores left. Most of our company is made up of Bi-Lo stores. I think there are about 329 stores in the entire Bi-Lo/Bruno's company.

Hi Chris,

SFM is split right down the middle. One half is Union( former Bruno's stores) other half non-union stores(former Bi-Lo and Winn-Dixie store) SFM split the company into regions-all the union are in the southern region and all non-union stores are in the northern region. Then regions start at the TN-AL state line and thats including the 3 former WD located in north AL is part of the northern region. I was told we are going to have SFM Bonus cards but that was 3-5 months ago. By the way Chris I don't think there is any Food Fair left. Like you said they have been changed to SFM.

Take care all,

Paul

Bruno's is having the same issue with the union contract. Bi-Lo is non-union, and they don't want to negotiate a decent contract. Ours was up in May 2005. Bruno's is no where near the company it once was. We currently run 47 Food World stores, 5 Food Max stores, and 24 Bruno's stores. There may be a couple Food Fair stores left, but I think most of them went to SFM. There are no more that 80 Bruno's stores left. Most of our company is made up of Bi-Lo stores. I think there are about 329 stores in the entire Bi-Lo/Bruno's company.

Thanks. The SFM where I am is not doing good at all and I cannot imagine C & S will hang on to all of the old Bi-Lo stores.

Wartime

Hi Wartime,

Thanks for asking about SFM. SFM has lost lots of customers due to being the new kid on the block, but we are gaining our customers back with HUGE SALES. We just started are Price Freeze this morinig for the next 6 weeks. I know I had to work 2 midnight shifts the last 2 nights(only got 2 to 4 hrs of sleep in 2 days). SFM won't sit down and give a union contract that we both can live with (union and C&S.). C&S just got rid of 2 of the BIG BOYS in SFM. They hired Bill White who ran Bruno's before KKR took over and ran us into the ground(bankrupt us). SFM bought 104 stores now they only have little over 90 stores left (they closed about 3 or 4 and sold 8 to Food City in Knoxville,TN).

Thanks,

Paul

PS.

If I think or hear of anything else I will let you know

Archived