Bruno's grocery stores

Chris322

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard about the others, but what is going on in Georgia? How sure are you the Georgia stors are closing?

Just saw a press release: 4 stores in Alabama, 1 in Mississippi and 8 in Georgia announced by Mr. White to be closing. Alabama stores, were Meridianville, Dothan, Moulton and Clanton.

Just saw a press release: 4 stores in Alabama, 1 in Mississippi and 8 in Georgia announced by Mr. White to be closing. Alabama stores, were Meridianville, Dothan, Moulton and Clanton.

The Meridianville store may not make it through the weekend, stock is nearly depleted.

I think they will regret closing this store since there are at least 300-500 homes planned

for this area. Publix will be keeping a close eye on this you can bet.

You will see on August 9th, they will be annonuncing 9 stores to close as part of phase 1 and the remaining 8 will be sold in a second phase, therefore there will be no more triad district (5). I would tell you how I know but I cant compromise any confidentiality agreements.

You will see on August 9th, they will be annonuncing 9 stores to close as part of phase 1 and the remaining 8 will be sold in a second phase, therefore there will be no more triad district (5). I would tell you how I know but I cant compromise any confidentiality agreements.

Is this all that SFM is announcing on Aug. 9? Rumors still float that they are buying the rest of the Food World/Food Max stores in Alabama.

Far as I know all purchasing and acquisitions are on hold and the entire Northern region is being divested.

I'm surprised it's not the Southern region that they're getting rid of. The Northern is mostly non-union former Bi-Lo stores while the Southern region is mostly union former Bruno's stores.

I'm surprised it's not the Southern region that they're getting rid of. The Northern is mostly non-union former Bi-Lo stores while the Southern region is mostly union former Bruno's stores.

How many stores does that leave currently in the SFM portion of C & S? Also, I have seen the union brought up several times in this thread; did SFM or C & S and the union ever reach a deal after the several Bruno's/Foodworlds were purchased? If not, what does that mean to you guys in the know about union negotiations?

How many stores does that leave currently in the SFM portion of C & S? Also, I have seen the union brought up several times in this thread; did SFM or C & S and the union ever reach a deal after the several Bruno's/Foodworlds were purchased? If not, what does that mean to you guys in the know about union negotiations?

I do not know if the union and SFM ever reached an agreement. I do know that the Bruno's has never made a new agreement.

I do not know if the union and SFM ever reached an agreement. I do know that the Bruno's has never made a new agreement.

Sorry I am so ignorant abount union issues but your last post leads me to a new question. If Bruno's has not reached a new agreement with the union, does that have any affect on whther SFM will buy the remaining Bruno's stores? Or, does that indicate anything to you guys who know how this stuff works?

Sorry I am so ignorant abount union issues but your last post leads me to a new question. If Bruno's has not reached a new agreement with the union, does that have any affect on whther SFM will buy the remaining Bruno's stores? Or, does that indicate anything to you guys who know how this stuff works?

I know this gets confusing. I'll try to break it down.

*Bruno's union contract expired in May of 2005. However, stores still operate under that contract until another contract is agreed upon.

*C&S purchased 104 stores from Bi-Lo in May 2005. Bi-Lo stores in northern region, Bruno's in Southern region.

*Southern region SFM stores operate under the same contract as before (Bruno's contract) because of a clause in the contract that forces any new owner to honor the contract.

So basically, any new stores SFM acquires from Bruno's will be the same as what they have now. They will just continue under their Bruno's contract until SFM and the union agree on a new contract, in which case, the contract will simply be applied to more stores. This should not cause SFM to not want the rest of the stores.

*Bruno's union contract expired in May of 2005. However, stores still operate under that contract until another contract is agreed upon.

*C&S purchased 104 stores from Bi-Lo in May 2005. Bi-Lo stores in northern region, Bruno's in Southern region.

*Southern region SFM stores operate under the same contract as before (Bruno's contract) because of a clause in the contract that forces any new owner to honor the contract.

So basically, any new stores SFM acquires from Bruno's will be the same as what they have now. They will just continue under their Bruno's contract until SFM and the union agree on a new contract, in which case, the contract will simply be applied to more stores. This should not cause SFM to not want the rest of the stores.

Thanks for the explaination. The reason I thought the union would make SFM recluctant was the comment made earleir that SFM would have released the southern stores instead of the northern stores because of the union. That made be think the union was undesirable to SFM or C & S.

Hi all,

Bruno's and Food World stores do have a union contract now. FoodMax (I could be wrong) and SFM (former Bruno's, Food Worlds, Food Fair, and FoodMax) do not have a contract yet. The two former Winn-Dixie's in AL. are NOT in the union yet.

Paul

[/quot

SFMD

The former Winn-Dixie(Florence, Athens) in AL. is part of the Northern Region. Do you know if SFM is going to Close or sell those 2 stores too? SFM is doing the same thing that C&S did to Grand Union after they bought the stores.

Paul

They are for sale.. If not sold by the first of September, the stores will be closed.

Pretty sad----just opened them in March.

SFMD

The former Winn-Dixie(Florence, Athens) in AL. is part of the Northern Region. Do you know if SFM is going to Close or sell those 2 stores too? SFM is doing the same thing that C&S did to Grand Union after they bought the stores.

Paul

How many grand union stores did they keep?

How many grand union stores did they keep?

I would suspect that they end up closing them. The Athens store is supposedly doing less volume than some of the ones that they just closed. Those would be the last 2 non-union stores left in north Alabama. Also, been hearing rumors that the Birmingham distribution center is for sale. If that is true, then the whole SFM chain is done.

Archived