I-49 progress in Arkansas

NCB

I was originally just going to post my pictures of highway 549 in another thread, but I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread for overall progress of I-49. Pictures, articles, news, thoughts, etc. could be placed here. :D

Ok here are my pictures of highway 549 from Fouke-Texarkana, which will become part of I-49 once Arkansas finishes it down to the border, and Louisiana gets it completed.

I almost missed the exit to 549. My first thought was "hey, this is new!"

IMG_0367.jpg

IMG_0368.jpg

IMG_0371.jpg

Not much traffic on the highway

IMG_0372.jpg

IMG_0375.jpg

IMG_0378.jpg

IMG_0380.jpg

IMG_0382.jpg

IMG_0384.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That section in the Ouachitas will probably take a long time. But it may go quicker than we think...540 in NWA was completed relatively quickly, and it went through pretty rough terrain. The Ouachitas is a much longer stretch though. It'll be interesting to see which sections they work on first.

I've also heard that construction of the section between Texarkana and Ashdown may began soon.

Great!

My normal route to Foreman is highway 59 from Texarkana to Ashdown, and then highway 32 from Ashdown to Foreman. This year however, I took I-30 west from Texarkana over to New Boston, and headed up highway 41 to Foreman. Because of this, I missed Stateline Avenue and most of Texarkana, but it gave me a chance to see all of the new development along I-30. :D

Thanks for the pics Nate. Now how far does 549 extend? I'm not so sure I-540 was finished very quickly up here either Tim. Some areas were done for years and then sat there until the state got more money to build other sections. That will be the biggest problem, will the state have the money to pay for large sections going through the Ouachitas in a reasonable time period? I think part of it might depend on how they plan on going through the Ouachitas. Are they going to try to avoid most of the mountains and have the road weave through the mountain ridges or will they just try to blact their way through all of them?

^I can find many similarities and differences.

If I am comparing SE Louisiana to SW Arkansas, I can tell you that AW Arkansas is comprised much more farming and agriculture than SE Louisiana.

SE Louisiana is more populated than SW Arkansas, with around 2.3 million people living between Baton Rouge and New Orleans. For the most part, the land and terrain is different, and the industry is different. Much of the culture and history are very different as well.

One similarity is that there are many bayou's in both SW Arkansas and SE Louisiana. One interesting thing is that in SW Arkansas, bayou is pronounced "buy-o," while in SE Louisiana it is pronounced "buy-oo."

Central and NW Louisiana are very compatible to SW Arkansas in terms of industry, population, land and terrain, etc.

I love both SE Louisiana and SW Arkansas. SE Louisiana is where I was born and where I call home, but SW Arkansas is where my family has settled since the early-mid 1800's.. :D Thats why I try my best to get up there often.

One similarity is that there are many bayou's in both SW Arkansas and SE Louisiana. One interesting thing is that in SW Arkansas, bayou is pronounced "buy-o," while in SE Louisiana it is pronounced "buy-oo."

I think I've heard it pronounced both ways in SE Arkansas but I admit I've heard the buy-oh much more. I wonder what affects the pronunciation and how other southern states pronounce it.

I've noticed the Gulf Coastal Plain in southern Arkansas seems to have rolling hills. The Mississippi Alluvial Plain in eastern Arkansas is very flat with very few hills and most of those being rather slight. Except for Crowley's Ridge of course that pops up although that's consider a seperate land area.

I've noticed the Gulf Coastal Plain in southern Arkansas seems to have rolling hills. The Mississippi Alluvial Plain in eastern Arkansas is very flat with very few hills and most of those being rather slight. Except for Crowley's Ridge of course that pops up although that's consider a seperate land area.

Yes, Crowley's Ridge is a separate land area, which is why I hate when Jonesboro is lumped in with the delta.

I think I've heard it pronounced both ways in SE Arkansas but I admit I've heard the buy-oh much more. I wonder what affects the pronunciation and how other southern states pronounce it.

Other than in Arkansas, I have only heard it pronounced "buy-oo"

In East Texas around Houston(which is nicknamed "The Bayou City") it seems to mostly be pronounced "buy-oo"

Other than in Arkansas, I have only heard it pronounced "buy-oo"

In East Texas around Houston(which is nicknamed "The Bayou City") it seems to mostly be pronounced "buy-oo"

Interesting I wonder if it's possible that it's just an Arkansas thing. Although there's probably some other areas that also pronounce it buy-oh also. There's a number of French words used in georgraphical areas of Arkansas although many of the have been corrupted in the original pronounciation. One being Petit Jean, pronounced pet-it jeen. Then there's Smackover a corruption of the orginal Sumac Couvert.

NCB were you aware that the section of 549 between Fouke and Doddridge is now open. That only leaves 5 more miles to be built to the Louisiana border. In Louisiana north of Shreveport ground has recently broken for six miles of new freeway near Mira, Louisiana.

^I didn't know that 549 from Fouke down from Doddridge was open. Thanks for the info big boyz! I knew about I-49 breaking ground from Shreveport to Mira, but I haven't heard any estimates as to when it will be finished.

BTW, congrats on 100 posts!

^I didn't know that 549 from Fouke down from Doddridge was open. Thanks for the info big boyz! I knew about I-49 breaking ground from Shreveport to Mira, but I haven't heard any estimates as to when it will be finished.

BTW, congrats on 100 posts!

Thanks! As for 549 you have to really watch for the entrance especially at night because it's easy to miss since Hwy. 71 isn't lighted all that well.

Thanks! As for 549 you have to really watch for the entrance especially at night because it's easy to miss since Hwy. 71 isn't lighted all that well.

I'm going to be up in Arkansas next summer, I'm looking forward to seeing the progress on I-49 in both Louisiana and Arkansas. :D

Archived