Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

Certainly, you contribute more than I do...I just add some information every once in a while (though I come here all the time to read what you and some others have posted). I actually really like this little site so that those of us (like you and I) who are enthusiastic about development in our fair city can brag (probably not the best word to use) and show others how Richmond has become/is becoming the latest Cinderella story! Sometimes RCW drives me crazy because there are a bunch of naysayers and people who are actually against everything and anything that is announced as far as new development is concerned...(Scottb). Here, I am free of all of that and I only see and focus, mostly, on the positive! I can get depressed sometimes reading some of the posts over there! :cry: So, I hope some of those folk do NOT make it over here to taint what we have going over here, know what I mean? Don't get me wrong I will always be loyal to RCW, I just wish some of those folks would go away!

Edited by eandslee

Certainly, you contribute more than I do...I just add some information every once in a while (though I come here all the time to read what you and some others have posted).  I actually really like this little site so that those of us (like you and I) who are enthusiastic about development in our fair city can brag (probably not the best word to use) and show others how Richmond has become/is becoming the latest Cinderella story!  Sometimes RCW drives me crazy because there are a bunch of naysayers and people who are actually against everything and anything that is announced as far as new development is concerned...(Scottb).  Here, I am free of all of that and I only see and focus, mostly, on the positive!  I can get depressed sometimes reading some of the posts over there!  :cry:  So, I hope some of those folk do NOT make it over here to taint what we have going over here, know what I mean?  Don't get me wrong I will always be loyal to RCW, I just wish some of those folks would go away!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree man, RCW is a great site with a lot of resources but many times the forum just turns into stupid arguments. (scottB) does provoke quite a bit of it too. I fall into the arguments from time to time as well unfortunately. I like it here for mainly the same reasons you do. I just wish people that knew more about what was going on (more than you or I) could contribute. I prefer this site as an optimistic outlet for Richmond...

I didn't know where to put this article, so I just put it here. Anyway, this article talks about the new urban, mixed use project that will be placed inside innsbrook. Construction is to begin soon (the first of many phases, that is). All of the phases should be complete within 3 to 5 years. Here's the article. I wish there were renderings available. I'll do some searching to see what I can find.

I couldn't find any renderings of this "beast" anywhere. I know they have a plan, I'm just not sure they've made what it will look like public yet.

YES! we are tied with d.c. for the best jobless rate of the top 50 metro areas in the country!!!!

Richmond tops in joblessness

Richmond Times-Dispatch May 3, 2005

The Richmond area ranks high in its jobless rate and that's a good thing.

Among the 50 largest U.S. metropolitan areas, the Richmond area tied with the Washington, D.C., area for the lowest jobless rate -- 3.6 percent -- in March, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported.

The Virginia Beach/Norfolk/Newport News area and the Las Vegas area tied for second lowest with unemployment rates of 3.9 percent.

Seasonally-adjusted statistics indicate that Hawaii had the lowest unemployment among the states at 2.8 percent, Wyoming was the second lowest at 3.1 percent, and Virginia and North Dakota were tied for third at 3.4 percent.

Look for more on this economic story, and the Fed's decision to raise interest rates, in tomorrow's Times-Dispatch.

wow I didn't know that MCV was the 4th largest medical center in the country....it also has like 780 beds. Damn.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I'm still waiting for an episode of Trauma, Life in the ER to air about MCV and Richmond. It's strange that they haven't done one in Richmond yet considering how large MCV is. I didn't realize that it was the 4th largest in the nation though. Wow!

Yeah, I'm still waiting for an episode of Trauma, Life in the ER to air about MCV and Richmond.  It's strange that they haven't done one in Richmond yet considering how large MCV is.  I didn't realize that it was the 4th largest in the nation though.  Wow!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You know I think it would be a pretty goot setting for a sitcom too.

I'd like to point out that I'm a proud graduate of Monacan HS in Chesterfield..... :)

"Cannaday receives top Va. honors

Chesterfield official is named state group's superintendent of year

BY HOLLY PRESTIDGE

TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER

May 4, 2005

Chesterfield County School Superintendent Billy K. Cannaday Jr. was named the Virginia Superintendent of the Year last night by the Virginia Association of School Superintendents.

Cannaday was selected from eight regional superintendents of the year. The award came during the association's annual conference in Roanoke.

He will be eligible for the National Superintendent of the Year award, which will be presented next February by the American Association of School Administrators.

Cannaday came to Chesterfield in 2000 after six years as superintendent of Hampton city schools. When he arrived in Chesterfield, fewer than half of the county's 59 schools were fully accredited by the state. This year, 100 percent of the county's comprehensive schools are fully accredited........

.....On hearing of the award yesterday, school officials and parents said Cannaday is an exemplary leader who is happiest when he's engaged in the lives of the more than 56,000 county students.

"What you see is really what you get every time," said James River High School Principal John Titus. "He has high expectations of us and he communicates that so well that you really want to work hard not to disappoint him."

He added that Cannaday is "the most personal, professional, child-oriented educator - and the best-dressed."

Cannaday is known for his impeccable taste in suits and ties......."

read the rest

hey this is great news about a great Richmond company! They have realllllly cool furniture:

Retailer honored

LaDifference International Home Furnishings picked up a big award recently.

The eclectic-style home furnishings retailer in downtown Richmond was named the best regional furniture store for the East Coast by the Accessories Resource Team and the Dallas Merchandise Mart.

The award is one of the most prestigious in the home furnishings retail industry. The organization honored two other retailers -- in the Midwest and for the West Coast.

article

Every second counts when someone has a heart attack. Because of that, the American Heart Association is putting automated external defibrillators in every high school in the area. The machines can be used to revive someone who's in cardiac arrest. A total of 125 machines will be put in place in Henrico, Hanover, Chesterfield, Goochland and Powhatan counties, as well as schools in Richmond, Colonial Heights, Petersburg and Hopewell. An annoucement into exactly where the defibrillators will be placed will be made public on Thursday.

Pretty cool. Richmond is only one of 3 cities in the world involved in this testing program. London and Sydney are the others.

"Nurses to aid in Richmond ambulance dispatch center

By Mike Garrity

NBC12 News

Tuesday, May 10, 2005

If you call 9-1-1 in Richmond, you may not be talking to just a dispatcher. Richmond is the only city in the U.S, where you may be talking to a nurse. Richmond has experienced nurses on staff in the city's 9-1-1 dispatch center.

The four part-time nurses are part of an international pilot health program. The idea is to use nurses

Great news for the Bottom!

City Council allocates $1.9 million for Shockoe Bottom drainage repairs

Matthew Philips

Richmond.com

Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Richmond City Council has approved an ordinance appropriating $1.9 million in infrastructural drainage improvements to the Shockoe Valley Drainage Basin and its sub-basins. The measure, which originally called for the allocation of $2 million, had been delayed for the past month as council members debated whether or not to earmark $100,000 for residential damage inflicted last year by flooding from Tropical Storm Gaston.

After multiple trips through the finance committee and several continuances, the ordinance was successfully amended by council two weeks ago and approved at Monday night's meeting.....

read the rest

Homeland security degree set for VCU

Richmond Times-Dispatch

May 12, 2005

The words "homeland security" have become part of the national vocabulary since the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

Now, Virginia Commonwealth University will become the first major research university to offer a bachelor of arts degree in homeland security and emergency preparedness, according to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

The State Council of Higher Education for Virginia approved the undergraduate degree program for VCU on Tuesday.

William H. Parrish, a former national homeland security official, will head the program.

article

So I just checked out that skyscrapepage site for the first time. I wish some of those people like that Richmondopoly person and others would give me a hand over here. damn. Only creepy thing is that his signature was identical to the one I used to have here and the one I have over on RCW. I wish they would come over here. Forums are sooo much better organized.

Good recognition for some Richmond companies:

"In its 2005 listing of the Top 20 Agency Community Service Initiatives, The Holmes Report has recognized Richmond-based Carter Ryley Thomas Public Relations and Marketing Counsel (CRT) as being second among public relations firms nationwide.

Ukrops Super Markets received a Neighborhood Partnership Award from the Food Marketing Institute for its Share a Holiday Meal program. Ukrops is one of only five supermarkets in the country to receive the honor."

article

More jobs!!!! great news for Richmond!!!

"Infineon's hiring push rolls on

Expansion at its Henrico semiconductor plant is progressing, official says

BY JEFFREY KELLEY

TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER

May 14, 2005

Officials at Infineon Technologies Richmond said they expect to hire 300 workers by Dec. 31, on top of the more than 300 recruited in the past year.

Infineon, one of the area's top 20 nongovernment employers, announced in April 2004 that it would build a $1 billion expansion to its Henrico County semiconductor plant, increasing employment by at least 800 workers......

......Infineon, whose parent company is in Munich, Germany, produces dynamic random access memory chips, or DRAM, which are used in computer hardware and other electronics. The older plant makes the tiny computer chips on 200-millimeter, or 8-inch, silicon wafers. The new plant will produce 300mm wafers, which will cut production costs by 30 percent.

The expansion will allow Infineon to remain competitive in the industry and take advantage of cost savings associated with larger wafers. By the fall, the company expects to be manufacturing 25,000 of the 12-inch silicon wafers a month.

From the wafers, the chips are cut.

Becker did not give a date for the company's full build-out -- which will double production to 50,000 wafers each month. "That depends on market conditions."

Since the expansion announcement, more than 300 workers have been hired, increasing employment to about 2,050. Becker expects an additional 200 employees to be hired by the end of September and 100 more by Dec. 31.

The company said that about 60 percent of the new hires will be from the Richmond area, while more specialized help may come from out of state........."

read the whole article

Richmond picked up 6 whole employees at the Defense Supply Center on southside!!!!!  :rofl:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You've gotta like that! I'm just glad it wasn't on the "chopping block". That defense supply center has been around as long as I can remember and it would really put an dent into Chesterfield if it were cut. It was a huge releif to see that it was staying!

Yeah, I love days like this where tons of economic development news comes forth!  Sure makes reading the RTD lots of fun!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The pilot gets that way too sometimes. We'll go for a whole month with no development news and then bam! They lay like 20 articles on us :lol: . I can always tell when those days are because my inbox just overflows with topic reply notifications :D .

So I just checked out that skyscrapepage site for the first time. I wish some of those people like that Richmondopoly person and others would give me a hand over here. damn. Only creepy thing is that his signature was identical to the one I used to have here and the one I have over on RCW. I wish they would come over here. Forums are sooo much better organized.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you will check out a posting regarding city densities in the Southeast segment of the Skycraper website, you'll see that Richmond is topped only by Atlanta and Miami in the southeast for population within 1 mile of its center - something like 32,000. Norfolk, I believe, has something like 19,000 in that category, while your favorite city Charlotte (LOL) lags far behind.