Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

What's the latest on the National Folk Festival scheduled for Richmond in '05, '06 and '07?  I have a feeling it's going to be a really big deal.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know it will be on browns island and near the canal walk, drawing thousands upond thousands of people to the area. I'll see what I can find out.

GREAT NEWS from the mayor about Richmond's population...its growing! In 2002, Richmond's population had increased from 197,000 in 2000 to about 200,000. I'd bet my bottom dollar it's substantially higher today.

From richmond.com's ask the mayor:

"Has the City of Richmond experienced population growth in recent years? If so, where has the growth come from and in what areas of the City is it found? What are the obstacles to growth? What is the outlook for further population growth?

F. E. (Pat) Patterson

2511 W. Grace Street

I am pleased to report that City of Richmond's population is growing, with an estimated 200,038 people as of December 31, 2002 (the City's most recent estimate), which is up from 197,790 people as surveyed by the Census Bureau in 2000. The most growth is occurring in Downtown (Jackson Ward, Shockoe Slip, Shockoe Bottom and Monroe Ward) and along the City's southern boundary near Chippenham Parkway. Aside from that latter area, Richmond is basically "built out" and the opportunity for growth in housing and population lies in adaptive reuse, redevelopment and infill.

While no formal data is available since 2000 to document the origin of new residents, one can surmise that recent growth in VCU's undergraduate and graduate programs has added population as well as the growing number of young professionals now residing in Downtown. The popularity of urban living has fueled many Downtown residential conversions, while the availability of land for new single-family developments has brought growth along the City's southern boundary."

"The CapTech Classic is an international cycling event and festival featuring some of the best male and female professional cyclists from all over the world, competing for their share of $27,500 in prize money on a grueling course in the heart of downtown Richmond.

when: Thursday, May 26, 2005

schedule:

Corporate Challenge (Relay) - 5:15pm

Women's Open (50km) - 5:45pm

Men's Invitational (100km) - 7:30pm

where: Richmond, Virginia

format: Invitational Road (circuit) Race

sanction: USA Cycling, Inc.

prize money: $27,500 ($20,000, men / $7,500, women)

course description:

Competitors at the CapTech Classic will encounter a demanding course, featuring lung bursting climbs, screaming descents, and requiring superior bike-handling skills. The course will start and finish on Cary Street in front of the James Center, the same finish line that was used for the Tour DuPont for many years."

It will be broadcast on FoxSportsNet which reaches more than 81 million people

for more info

GREAT NEWS from the mayor about Richmond's population...its growing! In 2002, Richmond's population had increased from 197,000 in 2000 to about 200,000. I'd bet my bottom dollar it's substantially higher today.

"Has the City of Richmond experienced population growth in recent years? If so, where has the growth come from and in what areas of the City is it found? What are the obstacles to growth? What is the outlook for further population growth?

F. E. (Pat) Patterson

2511 W. Grace Street

I am pleased to report that City of Richmond's population is growing, with an estimated 200,038 people as of December 31, 2002 (the City's most recent estimate), which is up from 197,790 people as surveyed by the Census Bureau in 2000. The most growth is occurring in Downtown (Jackson Ward, Shockoe Slip, Shockoe Bottom and Monroe Ward) and along the City's southern boundary near Chippenham Parkway. Aside from that latter area, Richmond is basically "built out" and the opportunity for growth in housing and population lies in adaptive reuse, redevelopment and infill.

While no formal data is available since 2000 to document the origin of new residents, one can surmise that recent growth in VCU's undergraduate and graduate programs has added population as well as the growing number of young professionals now residing in Downtown. The popularity of urban living has fueled many Downtown residential conversions, while the availability of land for new single-family developments has brought growth along the City's southern boundary."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats great news Coupe. Appears that Richmond is definately on it's way back :thumbsup: .

F. E. (Pat) Patterson

2511 W. Grace Street

While no formal data is available since 2000 to document the origin of new residents, one can surmise that recent growth in VCU's undergraduate and graduate programs has added population as well as the growing number of young professionals now residing in Downtown. The popularity of urban living has fueled many Downtown residential conversions, while the availability of land for new single-family developments has brought growth along the City's southern boundary."Damn, Coupe, you beat me to this one.  I was just getting ready to post it under Richmond Developments (never quite sure where to post things).  Anyway, it's great news, especially when I had seen elsewhere that the city had LOST over 3000 people sinced the 2000 census.  If the newly reported increase is true, I'll bet it has increased that much again since 2002.

By the way, why do you suppose there is such a variance in populatiion estimates?  Wilder's is over 200,000 while outside sources put it at about 194,000.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

HOLLYWOOD WILL BE BACK IN RICHMOND FOR AN EXTENDED STAY - or so goes the actors' scuttlebutt.

A new series starring Geena Davis as America's first female president has been picked up by ABC for next fall and most episodes will be filmed in Richmond. The pilot was shot in Richmond a couple of months ago and ABC liked it.

There are rumblings that a one hundred million dollar eleven-part miniseries about John Adams may be shot in Virginia. Tom Hanks is producer on this one. :):):)

HOLLYWOOD WILL BE BACK IN RICHMOND FOR AN EXTENDED STAY - or so goes the actors' scuttlebutt.

A new series starring Geena Davis as America's first female president has been picked up by ABC for next fall and most episodes will be filmed in Richmond.  The pilot was shot in Richmond a couple of months ago and ABC liked it.

There are rumblings that a one hundred million dollar eleven-part miniseries about John Adams may be shot in Virginia.  Tom Hanks is producer on this one. :)  :)  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

AWESOME NEWS burt! Richmond has been a favorite city to represent D.C. in hollywood films and shows. Do you know of the areas of Richmond which will be used for production of these shows? BTW, my girlfriend's uncle is works on major films and creates sets and backdrops for major films and shows. I know he worked on building the sets for the film THe New World coming out soon (about Jamestown etc...). Perhaps I can get some inside info on this kind of stuff. I want to say he even built a replica white house in the area....

Hey, WOW! I sure hope gf's Mom is right. If the John Adams project is approved, it will be the largest film investment in Virginia's history bringing millions of dollars to commercial coffers in the region. Imagine - an 11-part miniseries costing $100 million! It takes a long time to film 11 episodes - they'll probably be there for at least a year.

Keep pumping for details, Coupe.

I was fortunate enough to be warm up in one of the VIP boxes when the NCAA Soccer Championships were in Richmond. I hope it comes back, this town is a fairly strong place for soccer support:

A return of NCAA soccer?

Past fan support should be helpful in new bid to bring College Cup back to area

BY MIKE HARRIS

TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER Jun 10, 2005

The men's Division I college soccer championship could be returning to University of Richmond Stadium.

Jon Lugbill, executive director of the Greater Richmond Sports Backers, confirmed yesterday that his organization is putting together a bid for the 2006 College Cup - soccer's version of the Final Four. The soccer championship was decided at UR Stadium from 1995 to 1998.

"We're trying to get it back," Lugbill said....

......"Richmond still holds all the records for attendance," Lugbill said. "If you look at the championship history, everything went downhill after it left here. We definitely have some opportunities to make it a 'community' thing again here. . . . That's something we have to offer that we think sells tickets and also builds excitement for the championships."

The inaugural championship game in Richmond drew 21,319 fans. Attendance for the final was 20,874 the next year, 20,143 the next and 15,202 the next.

From here, the College Cup went to Charlotte, N.C., for two years, where the finals drew 15,439 and 11,421. It was in Columbus, Ohio, in 2001, where only 7,113 fans attended. The championship game drew 8,498 in Dallas in 2002 and 5,300 back in Columbus in 2003. Last year in Carson, the final drew 13,601.......

........."History will show that the best attended events with the most enthusiasm were here in Virginia and in North Carolina," Cupps said. "The location is great, the weather is good, the interest in soccer is probably higher in this region than anywhere in the country."..........

http://timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite...d=1031783206248

we did okay on this one...thought I'd just post it anyways:

Richmond ranked 39th by Intel's "Most Unwired Cities" study

Thursday, June 09, 2005

The Washington, D.C., metro area ranked 14th in Intel's third annual "Most Unwired Cities" ranking of the 100 largest cities and regions for wireless accessibility. Seattle, San Francisco and Austin topped the list.

Richmond-Petersburg scored in the middle of the pack at No. 39, while Norfolk-Virginia Beach dragged in at No. 63. The rock bottom losers? Bakerfield, Calif., Scranton, Pa., and McAllen, Tex.

The survey was sponsored by Intel Corp., and conducted by Bert Sperling, a researcher who specializes in conducting and analyzing data for the nationally known "Best Places" surveys.

Survey findings were based on the number of commercial and public or "free" wireless Internet access points (hotspots), airports with wireless Internet access, and broadband availability. The survey also included community wireless Internet access points, local wireless networks and wireless e-mail devices.....

whole article

Eandslee.... are you talking about the west end like henrico county? That is a good question. I've never heard of that, but all of the office buildings are very suburban in height and nature there. I wonder where you could find out for sure? henrico planning department maybe? I don't think there would be a height restriction in the city towards the west end, though I may be wrong.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Henrico has had, in my memory, an eight-story limit on all buildings. :huh:

By-the-way, I set up a signature for my posts on RCW (one that refers people to here...except scottb  :rofl: ), and it doesn't seem to be working.  Any advise?  I think I did it correctly, but I'm not 100% sure.  Anyway, any directions for that would be greatly appreciated (you can PM me for that if you wish).  Also, I'm looking for an awesome avatar for this site.  I have a geocities/yahoo web page I could host it on, but I understand that they won't let you do that...question is, where do you host your avatar?  Thanks in advance.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Betcha a lot of our RCW cohorts visit this site - like window shoppers. :thumbsup: