The West End

gs3

Melvin does indeed own a barbecue place in Charleston. It's on Folly Road on James Island. I believe Maurice does too. I have seen a Bessenger's in West Ashley not too far from I-526.

A little late on the reply here... but there is also a Melvin's BBQ on Mount Pleasant on Northcutt Rd.

There is a "Bessinger's BBQ" or something to the effect (with a different name than Melvin's) on Savannah Hwy, but I am not sure what the story is with that one.

Some upcoming things to look forward to in the West End:

The City of Greenville Design & Preservation Commission (DPC) will hold a Public Hearing on Thursday, March 2, 2006, at 4:00 p.m. in the 1st floor meeting room at City Hall, for the purpose of considering the following applications. (Note: Items are listed in the order they will appear on the agenda.)

CA 06-14 A request by Elliot Fowler of Oyster's LLC for a certificate of appropriateness to make exterior changes to two buildings and install a rooftop deck at 11 West Camperdown Way in the Central Business District.

CA 06-15 A request by Steve Mack of STM Acquisition & Development for a Certificate of Appropriateness to demolish historic buildings at 702 and 708 S. Main Street in the West End Preservation Overlay District and listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

CA 06-16 A request by Tim Shellenberger of DLR Group for a Certificate of Appropriateness to install a pylon sign at the new municipal baseball stadium located at 945 S. Main Street in the West End Preservation Overlay District.

The rooftop deck will be at the new Oyster Bar across from RiverPlace.

702 South Main is the big green building on the corner of South Main Street and River Street. 708 is the one just to the left of 702, both shown in this photo posted previously by SC Smitty:

96404196_b5bce09dc2_o.jpg

I'm not so sure I like the idea of a Pylon sign at the West End Ballpark. Maybe a low monument-style sign? I suppose it depends on what the sign will look like and how large it will be.

Edited by RestedTraveler

Ugh, hope it's not one of those flashy distracting signs. To much frill for this area after all the work that has been done to blend it in with the older style.

The deck sounds positively inviting!

I read somewhere about the tour of the ballfield but couldn't ask at the time, how can I join in on that? Is it over?

Maybe someone can call me at work today and let me know? 233-2661

Thanks,

Suzanne

Ugh, hope it's not one of those flashy distracting signs. To much frill for this area after all the work that has been done to blend it in with the older style.

I read somewhere about the tour of the ballfield but couldn't ask at the time, how can I join in on that? Is it over?

Maybe someone can call me at work today and let me know? 233-2661

Thanks,

Suzanne

I hope it's not one of those flashy signs similar to that at the old municipal stadium, too. That thing is horrible. I'd simply like to see the name of the ballpark attached to the outside of the building along the South Main/South Markley side, along the Field Street side, and on the corner of South Markley and Field.

As for the tour, I'm meeting with Nate Lipscomb from the G-Drive this weekend to discuss the final plan and date/time. I had given him a somewhat inflated number considering that there may be late additions, so I'll mark you down and keep you in the loop. It does sound like the tour will have to be on a Sunday Afternoon and it will have to be 2-3 weeks prior to opening night, so there may be some construction that we'll have to work around and we'll probably have to wear hard-hats.

Edited by RestedTraveler

I hope it's not one of those flashy signs similar to that at the old municipal stadium, too. That thing is horrible. I'd simply like to see the name of the ballpark attached to the outside of the building along the South Main/South Markley side, along the Field Street side, and on the corner of South Markley and Field.

As for the tour, I'm meeting with Nate Lipscomb from the G-Drive this weekend to discuss the final plan and date/time. I had given him a somewhat inflated number considering that there may be late additions, so I'll mark you down and keep you in the loop. It does sound like the tour will have to be on a Sunday Afternoon and it will have to be 2-3 weeks prior to opening night, so there may be some construction that we'll have to work around and we'll probably have to wear hard-hats.

I like your idea. Something kind of non disdescript almost. :thumbsup:

Now this does not seem to fit the area to me. Or is it just me. Two two storey buildings for two one storey buildings. Now come on.

Don't get this confused with 702 and 708 South Main. :lol:

These renderings are of this building, if I'm not mistaken:

92210062_4ce99d8fcd.jpg

westend.jpg

I'd say this is one fine improvement, myself! :thumbsup:

Edited by RestedTraveler

there is going to be a pylon sign for the new ballpark (if it gets permitted) with (as i have seen) a full color led message center, like the Bilo Center. The design that i saw was tasteful and not over done, I actually kinda liked the design--its's not to old fashioned and not too modern, it will look good if it is built properly. I don't think they have made a decision on who is building or installing the signage yet.

And yes a pylon sign is similar to the one at the Bilo Center...it is a sign that is mounted to a pole(s) rather than a brick, stone or metal base. But other than the message center this one looks nothing like the Bilo Center.

Edited by charlie swords

I must say that, after spending some time with Nate Lipscomb yesterday, I trust the owners of the Greenville Drive. It certainly does seem that they are considering every possible attention to detail to make sure the ballpark fits into the neighborhood as much as possible. I'm certain the sign will be tasteful; however, I'd rather see the pole enclosed in brick something, I think? Not entirely sure since I've not seen it.