Norfolk Arts and Entertainment

skylinefan

This is a shot of the Wells....

7179_wellstheatre.jpg

I have been attending Virginia Stage Company productions at the Wells Theater for over 20 years. The theater is a true jewel and equivalent in style, grace and beauty to any on Broadway. The plays are performed by talented, national actors and are well done. While they are not the big and best Broadway musicals like Lion King or Phantom, they are high calibre and worth the experience.

Virginia Stage Company

Edited by Chesapeake Pirate

• 2 weeks later...

I have been attending Virginia Stage Company productions at the Wells Theater for over 20 years. The theater is a true jewel and equivalent in style, grace and beauty to any on Broadway. The plays are performed by talented, national actors and are well done. While they are not the big and best Broadway musicals like Lion King or Phantom, they are high calibre and worth the experience.

Virginia Stage Company

Yeah, I love the Wells as well (no pun intended). I've been to 3 or 4 shows there in the last couple of years before I left. Very very solid performances and they typically choose good acts, though they have to tend to more mainstream in order to attract a crowd, but that's not bad thing.Lion King did so well because it is such a well known story and a family friendly piece. Phantom did equally as well because it was also so well known, and because during its first run in Norfolk it really was the first major broadway show to hit the area in years.

I predict Rent will do well, but not nearly as well as Lion King. If they could get Beauty and the Beast, then that would be a smash hit. I saw that on broadway about 3 months after it opened and really enjoyed it.

• 4 weeks later...

If they want piece and quiet don't live in the city! They are morons!

In related news, Club will be forced to close. <_<

Station 2, recently voted the best small club in Hampton Roads for live music, ceased staging shows this week and may have to close altogether after this weekend....

Station 2 is a popular venue for live music on Granby Street downtown. Its eclectic lineup includes national acts such as James Blood Ulmer , Stanley Jordan and Bio Ritmo . It has also created a niche for local entertainment with a weekly jam by the Fuzz Band.....

several residents have complained about excessive noise from the club. At least three lawsuits have been filed by condominium owners seeking relief from the loud music......

So let me see if I get this straight. This club has been in existence for years. Last year the rooms above the club were converted to condos. The people who moved into to this building, i would presume in order to be closer to the excitement of downtown living, knew full well there was a club in this building before they signed their contracts. Now this staple of the downtown entertainment district will be forced to close it's doors because these people have the nerve to complain about noise? :angry: It's idiots like this that make me fear for the future of downtowns revitalization if their attitude takes hold. It's like Nimbyism in reverse and I just hate to see the type of venue that actually draws crowds to DT forced out because of a few people who didn't fully think out their decision to move in the first place.

I don't think it's as cut and dry as everyone seems to think it is. The owner of the Station 2 building should have ensured that sound-proofing was installed. I have stayed in hotels above a pub and I can tell you that is one mistake I will not make again...

The people moving in may or may not have been aware of Station 2 and how loud it is. It's not been around for "years and years" as it was the Aroma Cafe not too long ago. Realtors are not the most open people when it comes to potential problems, so they may not have pointed out that there was a concert venue under the condos. The company renovating the condos should have done some more soundproofing as well.

Finally, this highlights the problem of suburban people moving to the urban. They want the urban lifestyle but they ar enot happy with communal living. It is a give and take situation and hopefully it is sorted out in the best interest of both parties.

I don't think labeling people who are investing $300,000-$400,000 or more in downtown condominiums as morons or idiots is fair. There are a lot of issues and unanswered questions here. Folks buying a home at that price level generally have not just fallen off the turnip truck.

As JPN indicated, Station 2 has not been there for years and years. I am not sure they have even been there a year. The location was empty for a while after the predecessor Aroma Cafe closed.

We don't know what was in that location when these folks signed contracts and eventually moved in. Nor do we know what disclosures or commitments were made to them about noise.

Certainly the developers of the condominium should have been aware and addressed that issue with their proposed buyers and then during construction. Perhaps they did and what was promised is not what was delivered. Also, the owner of the first floor (do we know if these are one and the same or two different entities?) had a responsibility to provide proper soundproofing when renting the spot out as a concert venue.

What we do apparently know is that the noise being generated is violating what Norfolk city guidelines permit, so may be we should blame the city. This is really not the same as an Oceana situation as no homeowner can say that the Oceana jets violate a city sound ordinance and have Virginia Beach issue a summons to the Navy.

It sounds like there has been some communication problems here, and it seems like to me the landlord and tenant on the first floor need to work out some soundproofing arrangements to provide some reasonable living conditions for the condo owners. Perhaps the developer of the condo's (assuming they are not the same as the Station 2 landlord) need to participate in the corrective action. All these questions need to be properly addressed.

If the condo owners have gotten so fed up that they felt compelled to go through the time, trouble and expense of legal action, there is a good chance they have valid issues. On the other hand, if everything regarding soundproofing and the existence of a loud concert venue below them was disclosed, and such noise is legal per the city, then they will have to get used to it or sell, likely at a loss, to someone else.

Edited by Chesapeake Pirate

• 3 months later...

The best festival in the area is this weekend in Norfolk. The Bayou Boogaloo has great entertainment (Neville Brothers, Dr. John, Radiators, Subdudes, etc. etc.) and awesome food from Louisiana and beyond. You can even get square donuts. I'll be the guy by the Pepper Lovers Club tent with an Abita in my hand. Gator on a Stick, anyone?

http://www.festeventsva.org/events.php?event=9

:alc:

• 1 month later...

This article about the Virginia arts festival came out in April in the Washington Post but I don't remember seeing anyone post about it. It's a really good article though.

Tidewater Tanglewood

I especially like this quote:

The expansion of the Virginia Arts Festival has paralleled the explosive growth and development of Hampton Roads -- a thriving metropolis of 1.6 million -- as a popular tourist center. While Norfolk remains the home of the world's largest naval base, it has long since shed its reputation as a rough-edged Navy town of bars, brothels and tattoo parlors. Today it's more about skyscrapers, hotels, shops and museums.

I was listening to Jack Ankerson on the Tony Mecurio radio show and he believes that the city should construct a 20,000 seat arena and that the NBA would be our best shot at professional sports and that would probably also be a team relocationing instead of expansion which should come as no surprise. I am wondering if the city ever received the results of the study done to determine whether to build a new arena and where it should be located. I believe that they paid a company(HOK) or something like that, in Kansas City for the service. The city has been using tax revenue from hotels and other functions specifically for that purpose.