Norfolk Arts and Entertainment

skylinefan

• 1 year later...

I have been calling for that area north of Brambleton to become the city's art district, it is good to see it might actually be starting to stick and something that could actually happen.  I think it is a great idea and could definitely see that area taking off with galleries, restaurants, and condos.

are you talking norfolk of brambleton heading NOrfolk on Granby?

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: at NoBra...

I wonder if there's plans to put a smaller theater in one of the spaces. Not so much a Naro, but something similar to the Little Theater in West Ghent, or Generic Theater that used to be on 21st. Something with, say 100-200 seats and a small stage.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: at NoBra...

I wonder if there's plans to put a smaller theater in one of the spaces. Not so much a Naro, but something similar to the Little Theater in West Ghent, or Generic Theater that used to be on 21st. Something with, say 100-200 seats and a small stage.

The Generic Theater that used to be in 21st Street is now located at Chrysler Hall, in the basement under the main building.  It's a pretty nice venue, but it can be difficult to find.  I don't know if they would consider relocating again.  It would probably depend on the rental rates.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

going to try and make it home that weekend and support...

Yeah it should be a great weekend.  There's been a ton of volunteers in the planning meetings.  We're running a paint drive to help our starving artists in the district in the old Zedd's lot.  They're also planning on creating a beer garden there.  Someone else is opening up a coffee shop/gallery for the weekend, and there are a few other pop-up shops you'll see.  And of course, there are some great art ideas that have been pitched.  Lots of great community involvement in this, including city leaders who have shown up at meetings to support it. 

Here's a small update:  http://norfolklive.blogspot.com/2013/03/arts-district-will-connect-downtown-to.html

• 1 month later...

The Arts District has officially been established via the ordinance change tonight.  This changes outdated regs and zoning in the area.  This will make it much more business friendly.  This ordinance is what has been holding that area back for some many years.  Huge win for development in that area.

Wish I could afford a photography studio down there. That seems like it would be cool.  Perhaps, have classes of different types, and do photography work all the same. Some of those buildings have exposed brick (which I love), and deep enough to support a studio of some type... If I didn't have a family, I could afford that easily, lol.