Lafayette

bigboyz05

It's good to see Lafayette being recognized like that with the larger cities, no doubt it is a special place. And all the festivals show just how rich the culture is. Already knew that! The fact that the Tech South Conference is scheduled in Lafayette says alot. It's a high-tech city. River Ranch looks very impressive! Good question, what's the latest on high Future of the I-49 corridor??

Yeah brresident you are right about the poor planning in BR. They lacked vision thinking BR would stay small forever. And BR is too dependant on an faulty Interstate system. At least some major surface streets are getting an extreme makeover to help ease the pain. The huge (500-acre?)undeveloped oasis Rural Life Plantation poses some problems. A major north-south street would be nice to connect Corporate and Perkins would help ease some congestion problems on Essen and College.

Sorry, about the BR rant.

Edited by richyb83

Good question, what's the latest on high Future of the I-49 corridor??

I think the I-49 corridor between Lafayette and New Orleans comes after the Shreveport to Arkansas segment.

I know they have meetings regularly to discuss and plan the Lafayette connector.

I remember reading a long time back that construction would begin in 2008, which probably means something more like 2012.

• 1 month later...

So are they going to make hwy 90 a freeway all the way to New Orleans? That probably needs to happen yesterday.

Oil and gas industries dominate that road from Lafayette all the way to Morgan City....lots of money there. I haven't been in town in a while, but I remember that road also being a bit bumpy, and very busy between I-10 and Broussard.

Cool. A Lafayette thread. I have recently moved here from Katy, TX and I went to college in LSU so I lived in BR for a while.

The city really has it's act together. I think it's the cleanest of the 4 or 5 largest cities in Louisiana. Not much crime, lots of very nice people, and relatively low traffic (compared to Baton Rouge at least) really attracted me to this place. There seems to be a lot more culture here that you don't see in Houston or Baton Rouge.

It's so strange how it's grown AWAY from the interstate. Lots of cities can take a page from Acadiana's book.

Anyways, I was wondering if or when the new courthouse was going to be built. I read a week or so ago that the I-49 connector will start within the next year or two.

Also, does anyone know if Verot School Road will be widened due to all of the growth in the area?

Welcome to the Louisiana forums, cajun!

It's so strange how it's grown AWAY from the interstate. Lots of cities can take a page from Acadiana's book.

I'm not quite sure I understand. One of the best things a city can do is build up next to an interstate highway, so I'm not sure what you meant there. Lafayette will soon grow up next to the interstate, though, as several projects are being discussed for that area.

Welcome to the Louisiana forums, cajun!

I'm not quite sure I understand. One of the best things a city can do is build up next to an interstate highway, so I'm not sure what you meant there. Lafayette will soon grow up next to the interstate, though, as several projects are being discussed for that area.

Thanks for the welcome.

I just think that the way it's growing out makes it seem more like a small town. It's got everything a larger city has, but everything is much closer to you.

The interstate and hwy 90 seems to have all of the truck stops and what not, but all the retail is closer to where people live. I just remember having to drive for miles in Houston just to get groceries. Lafayette is a welcome change.

I just think that the way it's growing out makes it seem more like a small town. It's got everything a larger city has, but everything is much closer to you.

The interstate and hwy 90 seems to have all of the truck stops and what not, but all the retail is closer to where people live. I just remember having to drive for miles in Houston just to get groceries. Lafayette is a welcome change.

Welcome to the forum, cajun! I agree with you about Lafayette, it can feel like a comforatable, small town, but it still delivers everything you'd find in a big city. There are many times where I find myself driving around Lafayette and thinking "wow, you'd never think this city had over 120,000 residents" and I really like that. I also love the atmosphere over in Lafayette, and I consider it to be more similar to what you find in New Orleans than any other city in the state. Which of course I also like. :thumbsup:

Welcome the the Louisiana forum cajun. Good to actually see somebody moving away from Texas into Louisiana.

I have lived in Baton Rouge all of my life. With so many relatives living in the Lafayette area, I feel if I were to have ever lived anywhere else, it would have probably been Lafayette. So many trips there as a kid I guess? Lafayette has really become a progressive place and it's good to see. Other Louisiana cities should take notice.

Edited by richyb83

Anyways, I was wondering if or when the new courthouse was going to be built. I read a week or so ago that the I-49 connector will start within the next year or two.

Also, does anyone know if Verot School Road will be widened due to all of the growth in the area?

The new courthouse is on hold. The people of Lafayette voted it down, largely because there is a wierd attitude that we're overtaxed and the city government is awash with funds, which they are squandering. Lafayette's sales tax (an increase in the sales tax was going to pay for a huge roads initiative and the new courthouse) is below average for Louisiana cities, but the people decided they didn't want to pay. Verot will be widened, but don't hold your breath.

We need a new courthouse in a bad way, but most people don't realize it. I can't tell you how many times I heard, "Why should I pay for a new courthouse, I haven't been there in ten years?"

Where did you read that the I-49 Connector would start soon? I've been eagerly awaiting this getting underway, but haven't read anything about it in a long time except for piecemeal funding here and there.

The new courthouse is on hold. The people of Lafayette voted it down, largely because there is a wierd attitude that we're overtaxed and the city government is awash with fun

ds, which they are squandering. Lafayette's sales tax (an increase in the sales tax was going to pay for a huge roads initiative and the new courthouse) is below average for Louisiana cities, but the people decided they didn't want to pay. Verot will be widened, but don't hold your breath.

We need a new courthouse in a bad way, but most people don't realize it. I can't tell you how many times I heard, "Why should I pay for a new courthouse, I haven't been there in ten years?"

Where did you read that the I-49 Connector would start soon? I've been eagerly awaiting this getting underway, but haven't read anything about it in a long time except for piecemeal funding here and there.

That's upsetting. Lafayette is growing so fast, and it's pretty obvious that a new, larger courthouse is needed. I guess it's a good thing when people never "use" the courthouse.

I saw some utility work on Verot, so I assumed they were doing something like widening it....guess it's on hold.

I really don't remember the link about the I 49. I'll try to find it. I sure hope that I wasn't getting all excited about an old article. It seems like this project has been looming for a long time.

If they widen I-12 through Livingston Parish before I49 then I am going to be upset. This has been an issue for at least twenty five years. There is no reason they can't do both...they have all this surplus this year that's going to fund these damned pet projects. I think from now on, everytime I see an article where a mis use of state funds is going, I will post it here...but that's a bit political. I had read that some representatives were funding their churches, unnecessary projects that the state shouldn't be funding (business incubators for example). Between the interstate loop in Baton Rouge, I 49 connector in Lafayette, the I49 route in shreveport, and those damned Time projects, I think our state government should be more concerned with transportation than funding their home churches or trying to get Shreveport or Minden some funds from the coastal conservation set asides.

That's upsetting. Lafayette is growing so fast, and it's pretty obvious that a new, larger courthouse is needed. I guess it's a good thing when people never "use" the courthouse.

I saw some utility work on Verot, so I assumed they were doing something like widening it....guess it's on hold.

I really don't remember the link about the I 49. I'll try to find it. I sure hope that I wasn't getting all excited about an old article. It seems like this project has been looming for a long time.

If they widen I-12 through Livingston Parish before I49 then I am going to be upset. This has been an issue for at least twenty five years. There is no reason they can't do both...they have all this surplus this year that's going to fund these damned pet projects. I think from now on, everytime I see an article where a mis use of state funds is going, I will post it here...but that's a bit political. I had read that some representatives were funding their churches, unnecessary projects that the state shouldn't be funding (business incubators for example). Between the interstate loop in Baton Rouge, I 49 connector in Lafayette, the I49 route in shreveport, and those damned Time projects, I think our state government should be more concerned with transportation than funding their home churches or trying to get Shreveport or Minden some funds from the coastal conservation set asides.

You're right. Of course it's the same with every state, unfortunately, but I do believe there are a lot of things our state funds that do not warrant state funding. Face it, Louisiana, our largest cities are all growing and if we want that to continue we have to invest in our freeways. We have Shreveport-Lafayette on I-49 now, but we need Lafayette-New Orleans mainly as another hurricane evacuation route, but also for commerce. We also need to connect to I-49 in Arkansas (which work is already underway on, thank goodness) so that we can have more commerce coming INTO our state from outside. And purely from a traffic control standpoint with the possibility for future growth, Baton Rouge needs their loop!

The work you saw on Verot was probably where Camellia Blvd. is going to be extended. In the short term, I can't help but think this will further clog Verot School Rd., with a new major arterial essentially terminating at Verot. Hopefully the widening won't be far off.

Also in the news is that the Ambassador Caffery extension from Verot School Rd. to Hwy. 90 is going ahead. This will be great, as the main routes for many getting from Broussard and Youngsville into Lafayette are La Neuville and Fortune Rd., both two lanes. This new Boulevard will hopefully alleviate a lot of the traffic in that area without further clogging the current Ambassador roadway.

There was also a story on the proposed toll loop getting shafted on funding. Hopefully the Legislature will throw us a bone on that one before it's all said and done.

They are available at Acadiananow.com.

Third Holiday Inn Express Planned for Lafayette:

Holiday Inn Express going up on Kaliste Saloom Road

Dirt is being cleared on Kaliste Saloom Road next to the long-vacant First National Bank building for what Lafayette Consolidated Government's records indicate is a Holiday Inn Express. The site is just south of Silverbell Road, across from Saloom Office Park. The hotel will be constructed on 2.9 acres, according to LCG's Department of Planning, Zoning & Codes.

http://www.theind.com/blog/2007/06/holiday...-on-kaliste.asp

Edited by mc361210

Commission plans budget

Proposal aims to save millions for City-Parish

Bob Moser

[email protected]

With a $1.4 million budget in 2007-08, City-Parish Planning Manager Mike Hollier believes five planning programs could save the city - and taxpayers - at least $9 million. Hollier proposed the budget to the Planning Commission on Monday night, the first of its kind proposed for Lafayette In a Century plans.

More...

LINC-Lafayette In a Century Web Site

The work you saw on Verot was probably where Camellia Blvd. is going to be extended. In the short term, I can't help but think this will further clog Verot School Rd., with a new major arterial essentially terminating at Verot. Hopefully the widening won't be far off.

The last thing I read about the Verot project is that it is planned to go out for bid in late 2008. There is some controversy about the plan. The road is to be four laned from Pinhook to Vincent Road only. The portion from Hwy 90 to Pinhook will be left up to the City-Parish government (they do not have the money for it). And ending the project at Vincent would not help with traffic in the Hwy 92-Verot area (currently a four-way stop with a very high traffic count).

As far as other major road projects, besides Ambassador Caffery, the S. College Road and bridge crossing is the last major project to get state funding, unless the state finds more money. That leaves the Kaliste Saloom upgrade without a way to pay for it.

Here is the latest capital project update that I could find.

Welcome to the Louisiana Forums mc361210 :thumbsup: Thanks for the updates in Lafayette. This forum needs to hear more over in that region. I like to get the latest scoop; alot is happening in Cajun country. Southwest Lafayette development has really been impressive!!!

Nice looking addition the the Ambassador Caffery corridor. Thanks for posting this.

How is construction going on the Town Center just past the Mall of Acadiana?? I really want to check out River Ranch too.

Welcome to the Louisiana Forums mc361210 :thumbsup: Thanks for the updates in Lafayette. This forum needs to hear more over in that region. I like to get the latest scoop; alot is happening in Cajun country. Southwest Lafayette development has really been impressive!!!

Nice looking addition the the Ambassador Caffery corridor. Thanks for posting this.

How is construction going on the Town Center just past the Mall of Acadiana?? I really want to check out River Ranch too.

Are you referring to the 400 home golf-course subdivision? I think it's back on after being sidelined over a dispute as to who would have to build certain roads and implement drainage. If I'm not mistaken a compromise has been worked out.

As for River Ranch, all I can say is 'wow'. Every time I drive down Camellia Blvd. they have a new building going up. I wonder about the quality of the construction over there, but I guess it's the same everywhere nowadays. It's a sight to see, not unlike Perkins Rowe, the progress of which I find to be similar to River Ranch although the developments aren't exactly alike.

Things are blowing and going.

Thanks for the welcome.

Not sure about Town Center. Is that the development with the golf course, or the T.N.D. called Stonehaven. There are so many new developments coming on line it is hard to keep up.

River Ranch is worth the time to pass through when in town. Here are some photos that I found. The Main Street complex is close to finished. River Ranch is almost completely built out now. There are rumors that the developers are trying to buy the land across from Kaliste Saloom, but nothing solid yet. They have started a new TND in Youngsville called Sugar Mill Pond. This is going to be a large 2,000 acre development. The first phase (500 acres) is under construction now.

Thanks for those pics and links, the next best thing to actually going to RiverRanch in person. It looks very impressive for sure. Nice architectual variety and some dense development too! Live, work, and play is the going trend.

Check out my post#70 way back from Feb. 11th. I have Sugar Mill Pond posted, it too looks very impressive.

In yesterday's BR newspaper "The Advocate", the Census is different than the one posted here on the other thread for some reason. The title was "More people are moving to towns,villages. It has Youngsville #1 municipality in La. with "highest" % gains since 2000. Youngsville grew +43% with a 2006 pop. of 5,922. And Broussard was ranked #8, with +21% now 7,344

Your are right breaux, they are going! It's all good to see! I am looking forward to seeing Perkins Rowe when it's complete.

Ambassador Metroplex Phase II Rendering:

Image shows the new office building and a planned hotel.

http://www.loopnet.com/xNet/MainSite/Listi...px?LID=14700936

7D0B3D05-DBB4-423A-9090-08FC9B0F4F24_or.jpg

Oil is about $70 per bbl of crude and looks to stay higher than $60 a bbl for the next ten years at least...of course, now Lafayette starts booming again like it was in the 1970s. I asked a friend of mine who works for Schlumberger in Lafayette when he thinks oil will be affordable again. His response was "Gee, I hope not for a long time." That just goes to show you how Louisiana's economy works. We had major bust in the 1980s when the energy industry busted and oil was $12 a bbl.

That whole town is oil and gas, and oil and gas service industries. Everyone eats very well there....lots of money, and lots of new young people moving into town.

There are a number of very big, high income businesses in town with helicopter pads.....oil and gas, of course. There is this one building off HWY 90 that looks like a giant oil rig. Next time I go out in that direction, I'll have to snap a pic.

That whole town is oil and gas, and oil and gas service industries. Everyone eats very well there....lots of money, and lots of new young people moving into town.

There are a number of very big, high income businesses in town with helicopter pads.....oil and gas, of course. There is this one building off HWY 90 that looks like a giant oil rig. Next time I go out in that direction, I'll have to snap a pic.

While oil and gas were major factors in the economy during the 80's, Lafayette has changed since then. While there is no doubt that the increase in the gulf activity has had some effect, the industry no longer is the largest employer in the parish like during the bust. Even during the late 90's, when gas was $0.99 per gallon, Lafayette was growing.

The medical industry has grown here since the 80's and is one of the major employers in the parish. In fact Our Lady of Lourdes is about to start construction on a new $20,000,000 facility on Ambassador Caffery and Women's and Children's Hospital (also on Ambassador Caff.) is about to expand for the second time this decade.

The tech industry has also started to locate here and will increase in the near future when the fiber to the home project is complete. Construction, the retail industry, and manufacturing all play larger parts in the economy than during any time in the history of the city.

^^Yeah, you are right. There are a lot of different businesses jumping up here. Medical is growing, but nothing like what Baton Rouge or Houston is going through...but I do see more non-oil and gas related businesses showing up.

It just seems like everyone here is in oil and gas to me. My girlfriend and I work for big oil companies.....pretty much everyone I know is an engineer, lawyer, banker, accountant, auditor, supplier, or manager of oil or oil services companies. Even the folks without degrees are making a killing with an oil company. Why not? They pay more than any other non-energy/oil offers you may get. People are attracted to Lafayette because if it's culture, but they live here because the jobs pay more than anywhere else....just like Houston, except Houston is ugly as hell. Lafayette is appealing because of the money and upward mobility. It's Oil and Gas that made that happen.

Even if the town is an oil and gas town (like Detroit is automotive), I don't see oil being less than 50 bucks a bbl for the next ten to fifteen years. India and China is still industrializing and they are going to demand more oil. This can go on for hundreds of years....and we haven't even gotten to industrialize Africa yet. Lafayette is going to boom and there is no stopping it. As it gets bigger, more services will be needed. Construction, education, medical, legal, and government will have to grow.

Edited by cajun

• 2 weeks later...