Lafayette

bigboyz05

Wonder what might be built at this prime location in downtown Lafayette?? A nice mixed-use project might work well!

Lafayette Works On Courthouse Demolition Plan

A plan to demolish the Old Federal Courthouse is moving forward in Downtown Lafayette. The idea is to make way for new development. The Lafayette Economic Development Authority is working on an agreement to take ownership of the property, demolish it, and redevelop the site. The building has been vacant since 1999

http://www.katc.com/Global/story.asp?S=10933646

Wow! Lafayette is really doing a lot! Lafayette is probably the fastest growing city in the state.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to see Parkview Towers never got off the ground...but the smaller projects is a nice start

MISSING PIECE... A lack of residential development leaves downtown Lafayette with plenty to offer, except living space

Once a blighted eyesore, downtown Lafayette now boasts an eclectic blend of shops, bars, restaurants and parks. It is home to many of the city’s cultural and entertainment attractions, including the Festival International de Louisiane, which last year drew 350,000 visitors over five days. “Downtown, to me, is the heart and soul of Acadiana,” said Jaci Russo, owner of the Russo Ad Group, a downtown business. “It is truly the center of the Hub City, which is the center of Acadiana.”

But one element is largely missing — residential development, which many real estate and planning experts consider key to sustaining a vibrant downtown.

Renovations are being made to the main branch of the Lafayette Parish Library. The Acadiana Center for the Arts theater — a $15 million, state-funded 300-seat venue on West Vermilion Street — is slated to open in October Such attractions, coupled with the city’s push to be a technology hub, are needed to help transform the city into the next “cool” urban destination.

The “missing piece” is the residential component, Lafayette City-Parish President Joey Durel said.While city leaders have long recognized that need, decades have passed without any major residential construction. “Right now, (developers) are just waiting for that first one to take the big step and prove some success.”

Webre pointed to the lack of large, vacant buildings as a main reason residential development has never taken off. Without that inventory, developers face higher costs and risks because they must build a new structure in a dense setting, said Steve Oubre, of Architects Southwest. Those factors often make it easier and more attractive to build in the suburbs, he said. To reverse that, a city must offer tax breaks and other incentives to offset the costs of building downtown, Oubre said. Portland, Ore., and Chattanooga, Tenn., have had success with such measures, he said.

“Those are the kinds of things that we have to do if we’re going to be successful in attracting the kind of mixed use in downtown that we’re going to need,” Oubre said. With proper planning, downtown could become a dynamic mix of retail, office space and residences with a population that exceeds a thousand along Jefferson Street.

Wuestemann said that to attract and retain the “urban cool kids” and young professionals, the city must offer the infrastructure and amenities they desire. If not, they will inevitably leave for the Austins of the world, he said.“You have to plan for them now,”

He said the younger generation is looking for an urban life with walkable neighborhoods, nearby parks, cafes and live music.

Jefferson Street

jeffersonstreet041110.jpg

Lengthy article...

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/90550754.html?index=1&c=y

• 2 months later...

Area's growth soars

A wave of new construction, renovations and new business openings is drawing more attention to Lafayette's downtown area.

Two major projects — the Rosa Parks Transportation Center and the Acadiana Center for the Arts expansion — are well under way. Completion on the AcA is expected later this year, and city-parish officials hope to be able to move some staff members into the Rosa Parks center by late 2010 or early 2011.

Once completed, each location will become a hub of sorts. In addition to housing Lafayette Consolidated Government staffers, the Rosa Parks center also will include the city bus station, a post office and Acadiana Open Channel offices. The existing building will be demolished, allowing for more parking, and plans call for landscaping and a community-oriented feel around the facility.

"That's going to be a huge improvement for that end of downtown," said Cathy Webre, executive director of the Downtown Development Authority. "It will be transformative once the new building comes up. Once you add the additional parking and landscaping, it will make quite a difference."

Once completed, both projects are expected to become major showpieces for the downtown district and will eventually be joined by a total renovation of the Lafayette Public Library's main branch. This will be the first major refurbishment since the 1970s, and plans for that also are focused on creating a community gathering space for families and individuals.

The revitalization began in earnest last year and included the Southwest Group's renovation of the Tribune building on Vermilion Street, which led to the opening of Recycled Cycles of Acadiana, Philippe's Wine Cellar and The French Press, all directly across from Parc Sans Souci. In addition, Abell & Crozier Architects has purchased the building at 115 E. Main St. and has begun renovations on it, Collage Cafe opened in April at 423 Jefferson St. and A Spot for Tea and the barber spa Refinery also are open.

"A lot of the time, people looking at what's happening on the street," Webre said, "but there's also been a lot of business development in the major office towers."

The Chase Tower in particular has welcomed several new tenants during the past few months, including Westco Energy Services and Legal Reporting, Superior Construction, Gaubert and Smith Attorneys at Law and Omni Artiste Productions.

Danny Nugier, a broker for Southwest Real Estate, said the company has been pleased with its office space in the building at 100 Central St. and plans to begin marketing space on the building's third floor in the future.

"I think it's been a snowball effect," Nugier said of downtown's growth. "Once you start doing some development, people see the improvements and they want to jump in and enjoy the successes. We're doing what we can to continue trying to make it better."

http://www.theadvertiser.com/article/20100706/NEWS01/7060316/Area-s-growth-soars

• 5 months later...

Construction has begun on the University of Louisiana at Lafayette's largest-ever student housing project

Financing was approved last month and bonds have been issued to build the $100 million project. Atlanta-based Carter has been hired as project manager. The multi-phased project consists of renovation, design, construction and expansion of the University's existing student housing inventory in the Rose Garden and Taft/Tulane communities. The facility is designed to provide 2,000 new beds and approximately 1,000 spaces of structured parking. All phases are scheduled to be completed by August 2012. Currently, UL Lafayette only has the ability to house 11% of the student body, as opposed to peer institutions, which typically house 20% or more of their respective student body. Together, the new Rose Garden and Taft/Tulane communities will create individual neighborhoods on campus for freshmen and sophomore students, with close proximity to classes, dining facilities, the new student union and other campus services and amenities. The new projects will address both current waiting lists as well as recruitment and retention objectives for the University.

http://www.1012corridor.com/archives/1012-corridor-weekly/latest/

• 3 weeks later...

well, right now, off of Kaliste Saloom acvross from River Ranch is a rather large scale construction of a 5 star hotel and retail buildings in a somewhat greco-roman design which will retain the very old oak trees on location. Also, several other retail/mixed use projects are going on near the Super Target complex and office space on Energy Parkway. There is the addition to River Ranch near the river and several other things I cant quite remember but have seen around the city. Its definitely pretty busy lately around here. News of construction of those projects seems to have slowed though.

• 3 months later...

Lafayette Parc(across from River Ranch) was looking for a special TIF for the convention center hotel; still no word...I came away fairly impressed with my first trip to River Ranch a few weeks back..was pressed for time; would like to see more!

Lafayette already had 10 round-abouts...possibly 60 more interesections are possible??

New Roundabouts for Lafayette

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/Roundabout-numbers-climb.html

traffic050911.jpg

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The Lafayette metropolitan area now consists of Lafayette, Vermillion, St. Martin, Iberia, and Acadia Parishes. At least that's what estimates say. According to these numbers the Laffy MSA is now larger than Shreveport MSA. Maybe by 2020 St. Landry Parish will be added.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/omb/bulletins/2013/b13-01.pdf

Lots of different towns(city qualifies as 5,000+ pop.?) including New Iberia, Crowley & Abbeville, St.Martinville...Surprised St. Landry Parish is not in Lafayette MSA...that would add Opelousas & Eunice...

I-10 could use widening/extra-lanes from Louisiana Ave(east) to at least Ambassador Caffery Pkwy(west)..or even Scott!

Lots of different towns(city qualifies as 5,000+ pop.?) including New Iberia, Crowley & Abbeville, St.Martinville...Surprised St. Landry Parish is not in Lafayette MSA...that would add Opelousas & Eunice...

I-10 could use widening/extra-lanes from Louisiana Ave(east) to at least Ambassador Caffery Pkwy(west)..or even Scott!

Cities are incorporated, census designated places are the others (like Gardere or Oak Hills Place). I'm not surprised, St. Landry has it's own employment centers where enough of it's residents work within the parish for it to remain on it's own, for now. I believe it will be added in the 2020 census. I don't think I-10 needs widening in Lafayette, I've never run into traffic unless there was a wreck on the Atchafalaya Bridge. If anything, they need I-49 and a loop. Like we in Baton Rouge need.

• 2 months later...

Looks like the plans for the I-49 eastern Bypass are on hold(permanently?)...the $billion elevated expressway thru the heart of Lafayette does not look like an option either. For me... seeing I-10 remain only 4-lanes is not adequate for a place that size.

Could this be Lafayette's next big development (north of I-10/west of I-49)...

North Lafayette’s Couret Farms development under construction

The first homes are now going up in a River Ranch-style development on roughly 125 acres in north Lafayette, and residents are expected to begin settling in there this fall.

Couret Farms, developed by the same team behind River Ranch in Lafayette and Sugar Mill Pond in Youngsville, is introducing an idea that has not been seen north of Interstate 10 in Lafayette Parish. The entire 125-acre development could be built out in five to six years.

The plan is to build a dense, walkable community with parks, ponds, an integrated commercial area and housing that ranges from apartments to estate homes. The concept, known as a “traditional neighborhood development,” seems to have attracted attention. Couret Farms has sold 19 lots since sales began last month, and more are under contract, said Prescott Bailey, an associate developer on the project. “The reaction has been stronger than we expected,” he said. Oubre said he envisions a mix of retail shops, restaurants and offices, possibly a bank and a hotel.

Plans for the development call for 621 housing units — a mix of various home sizes and apartments — and 115,786 square feet of commercial space. The Lafayette City-Parish Planning Commission approved the general layout for Couret Farms earlier this month. Couret Farms is on the site of a similar planned community proposed by a different group of developers that was scrapped seven years ago because of financing problems.

http://theadvocate.com/home/6066638-125/north-lafayettes-couret-farms-development

master-plat-small.jpg 

Where did you get this information about I-49?

I wonder if they will try to wrap I-49 around the east side of LFT and meet up with Hwy 90 near Broussard. Possibly a full loop with the exception of I-49 through the core of the city and resuming back south of the city.

They mentioned it at state legislative meetings recently...it's just not moving

Pretty close to that Antrell...The proposed Teche Ridge bypass would begin north of Lafayette, breaking away from I-49 near Carencro and then reconnect with U.S. 90 south of Youngsville.

Here is the article :thumbsup:

http://www.theadvertiser.com/viewart/20130524/NEWS01/305240029/Study-tabled-49-South-alternative-route

• 4 months later...

Whole Foods coming to ever growing SW Lafayette...

Construction underway on Lafayette Whole Foods

Construction has begun on the Ambassador Crossing Shopping Center in Lafayette that will count a Whole Foods Market among its tenants.

The Ainbinder Co. said Thursday it broke ground on the 12-acre site at Ambassador Caffery Parkway and Settlers Trace Boulevard for the 108,000-square-foot retail center.Whole Foods will anchor the shopping center with a 36,200-square foot store, set to open in late 2014.

Other retailers who have committed to Ambassador Crossing include J. Crew, Carter’s Babies & Kids/Osh Kosh B’Gosh, Lee Michaels Jewelers, Massage Envy, Chipotle Mexican Grill, Which Wich and Superior Nails.

Ainbinder, of Houston, said it is negotiating with several upscale fashion and furnishings retailers along with restaurants to take up the remaining space.

“Leasing activity has been very brisk, and the strong economy and retail sales in Lafayette have attracted a lot of tenant interest,”

*rest of article*

http://theadvocate.com/news/business/7287014-123/construction-underway-on-lafayette-whole

• 6 months later...

New tech center coming to Lafayette, will employ 400

Information technology company CGI will open a technology center in the University of Louisiana at Lafayette’s Research Park, a facility that will eventually employ 400 with an annual payroll of $22 million, the company announced Monday.

The company will begin operations at a temporary location later this year and plans to grow to 400 jobs within four years, according to a news release from Gov. Bobby Jindal’s office.

http://theadvocate.com/home/9026996-125/new-tech-center-coming-to

• 3 weeks later...

Not at all. Lafayette is booming, Shreveport has been stagnant for decades.

Bossier Parish and Desoto Parishes are growing at a very nice pace. Shreveport City and Caddo Parish have been stagnant for decades. I'm not pulling the "my city is better than your city" stuff here, BUT I do have to say that Lafayette doesn't have a "city" vibe to me; it feels like a small, yet fun, college town that suddenly had a growth spurt, and has experienced some major growing pains such as traffic. That's just the feel I always get when I drive through it. That said, I'm not surprised Lafayette will be getting both of those before Shreveport, but Shreveport will have Whole Foods by next year, as the site has been chosen and construction is supposed to start later this year. Bossier City is getting a J. Crew next year as well. And to be honest, for a stagnant city (which I'm not denying it is), Shreveport is growing quite a bit in the retail sector all of a sudden. And if you drove around south Shreveport, you wouldn't think it hadn't experienced any real population growth in decades.

I had to chime in, but I don't want to make this a Lafayette vs. Shreveport thread. So I'll check out of this thread before I do... that wasn't my intention.

• Like 2

Neat, I guess Lafayette is really coming in to its own too. I wonder when they'll start offering jobs for that tech center.

Its kinda crazy to think Lafayette will be getting a Whole Foods and J. Crew before Shreveport.

I'm thinking that these chain retailers are moving where demand is...the demand in Lafayette includes wealthy southerners and college freshmen without basic economic knowledge. I find the Shreveport lacks a major draw, growth or not, the city lacks the wealthy crowd and young kids crowd, two vital crowds needed to spur this styled development. 

Bossier Parish and Desoto Parishes are growing at a very nice pace. Shreveport City and Caddo Parish have been stagnant for decades. I'm not pulling the "my city is better than your city" stuff here, BUT I do have to say that Lafayette doesn't have a "city" vibe to me; it feels like a small, yet fun, college town that suddenly had a growth spurt, and has experienced some major growing pains such as traffic. That's just the feel I always get when I drive through it. That said, I'm not surprised Lafayette will be getting both of those before Shreveport, but Shreveport will have Whole Foods by next year, as the site has been chosen and construction is supposed to start later this year. Bossier City is getting a J. Crew next year as well. And to be honest, for a stagnant city (which I'm not denying it is), Shreveport is growing quite a bit in the retail sector all of a sudden. And if you drove around south Shreveport, you wouldn't think it hadn't experienced any real population growth in decades.

I had to chime in, but I don't want to make this a Lafayette vs. Shreveport thread. So I'll check out of this thread before I do... that wasn't my intention.

I will admit the city has seen some nice growth in the past...good job guys. I find that in terms of development Shreveport has tons of potential, Lafayette instead seems and feels very spread out, not unified like a city should be. 

I'm thinking that these chain retailers are moving where demand is...the demand in Lafayette includes wealthy southerners and college freshmen without basic economic knowledge. I find the Shreveport lacks a major draw, growth or not, the city lacks the wealthy crowd and young kids crowd, two vital crowds needed to spur this styled development. 

I will admit the city has seen some nice growth in the past...good job guys. I find that in terms of development Shreveport has tons of potential, Lafayette instead seems and feels very spread out, not unified like a city should be. 

Lafayette also has a great culture and atmosphere that certain young people love. It probably keeps more of it's graduates than any other city in Louisiana.

Shreveport lacks that culture, it lacks a major university that could help spur that growth, and lacks the necessary leadership and vision. 

What do you mean by Shreveport has potential? I believe every city has a bit of potential but where do you see potential?

I agree about Lafayette, it feels like a very small city on street level but it's larger than Shreveport and will soon be twice it's size. Lafayette really reminds me of an Austin, I just hope to God that it doesn't turn into what Austin is now.