Baton Rouge Growth and Development

NCB

True...that area is way too dangerous for bikes...like much of BR. A trail along the Bayou Duplantier watershed from University Lake to Perkins Road X'treme Sports Park is badly needed.

Glad I could fool somebody :lol:

Thought about using this one as well... The proposed Lofts at Mid City on the periphery of downtown...not thinking anyone would pay close enough attention to the skyline in the background :whistling:

742pic1.gif

You think you're funny. But you are not. :cry:

• Like 1

Funny how the articles stresses mumbo jumbo about 10 bicycles spots, but that stretch of Perkins doesn't have a sidewalk nor a lane for bikes. Plus 200 yards down Perkins is where a bicyclist was killed in February.

They recently did work on the property where they strengthened the Dawson creek canal. From the road it's doesn't really look to be 11 acres.

The Planning Commission has updated the UDC. I know for commercial if you have over 50 parking stalls they require a bicycle rack. I would imagine they have a similar requirement for multifamily residential. I do agree however that it is silly to require bike racks in suburbia, where biking is dangerous.

• 2 weeks later...

333 Lofts on East Boyd near Burbank just East of LSU nearing completion

april2012012.jpg

april2012013.jpg

Maybe they can straighten the pole before Hurricane Season starts up

april2012014.jpg

It would be nice if they could get the (older) proposed Stadium Club (adjacent to this) started up...

Another request would be to see them finally get started on the next phase of the Southgate Towers

Edited by richyb83

The advocate is reporting that the developer of Acadian Village has attracted a "15,000 square foot specialty grocery store". The store had no locations in Louisiana yet.

I'm thinking Trader Joe's- which would be awesome. Any other ideas?

Has to be a niche speciality store given the proximity to Bet-R and the college drive super center. Too small of a footprint for an organic- only store to make money....and I know it isn't a Kroger.

The advocate is reporting that the developer of Acadian Village has attracted a "15,000 square foot specialty grocery store". The store had no locations in Louisiana yet.

I'm thinking Trader Joe's- which would be awesome. Any other ideas?

Has to be a niche speciality store given the proximity to Bet-R and the college drive super center. Too small of a footprint for an organic- only store to make money....and I know it isn't a Kroger.

Since they are making a big deal about it I'd suggest Trader Joes. Plus TJs has been pushing east and are building stores in Texas.

And Cajun, TJ and Walmart grocery shoppers aren't exactly the same. TJ would do fine there.

And Cajun, TJ and Walmart grocery shoppers aren't exactly the same. TJ would do fine there.

I meant with the nature of the local competiton, that location wouldnt lend itself to an HEB or ALDI.

TJ wouldn't be in direct competiton with the super center or Bet-R. It makes complete sense for a store like TJ's to be there.

I don't know how big they are but it could be a Rouses.

The article states this is a grocer that doesn't have a store in Louisiana. That rules out Rouses.

What about Associated Grocers? I know that have a distribution hub on Perkins, but dunno if that have a actual store in the state. Either way it's good news. Can't believe that area has been so dead before now.

The article states this is a grocer that doesn't have a store in Louisiana. That rules out Rouses.

What about Associated Grocers? I know that have a distribution hub on Perkins, but dunno if that have a actual store in the state. Either way it's good news. Can't believe that area has been so dead before now.

AG is the wholesaler that services the local independent stores and chains like Bet-R and Calandro's. Don't think they have retail locations...based on their website. Tons of independent brands though.

Has to be a Trader Joe's or something similar. Only thing that small that doesn't compete directly with anything nearby.

Winn Dixie passed on a location across the street near the former Caterie site. Those stores are 30,000 square feet (for reference). By comparison, a Barnes and Noble is about 20,000 square feet.

15,000 square feet is smaller than most groceries, but larger than most C-stores. It probably won't be the main anchor for the shopping center.

Probably looking at a furniture store, a jeweler, a gym, and a couple of restaurants to round out the shopping center with this specialty food store.

Rouses would be awesome, but they have locations in La already and tend to be larger than 15,000 sf. I'm sure we'll see one in BR soon, though.

Edited by cajun

AG is the wholesaler that services the local independent stores and chains like Bet-R and Calandro's. Don't think they have retail locations...based on their website. Tons of independent brands though.

Has to be a Trader Joe's or something similar. Only thing that small that doesn't compete directly with anything nearby.

Winn Dixie passed on a location across the street near the former Caterie site. Those stores are 30,000 square feet (for reference). By comparison, a Barnes and Noble is about 20,000 square feet.

15,000 square feet is smaller than most groceries, but larger than most C-stores. It probably won't be the main anchor for the shopping center.

Probably looking at a furniture store, a jeweler, a gym, and a couple of restaurants to round out the shopping center with this specialty food store.

Rouses would be awesome, but they have locations in La already and tend to be larger than 15,000 sf. I'm sure we'll see one in BR soon, though.

I think you were missing when this was posted or maybe it was another forum but Rouses is looking at a location along I-10 unfortuately.

• 4 weeks later...

DMC Carter Chambers to build new headquarters in B.R.

Gov. Bobby Jindal joined officials from DMC Carter Chambers today to announce the company's plans to spend $10 million to build a new 90,000-square-foot headquarters facility on a lot next to the company's current headquarters at 19151 Highland Road. The project will include consolidating the existing headquarters with its Gonzales and Prairieville operations, and is expected to create 80 new jobs over the next nine years, as well as retain 128 existing jobs. Louisiana Economic Development—which is providing DMC with a performance-based $600,000 Economic Development Loan Program award and a $400,000 Modernization Tax Credit, along with customized job screening, hiring, and training services through its FastStart program—estimates the project will also create 155 new indirect jobs. DMC is also expected to utilize the state's Quality Jobs and Industrial Tax Exemption programs, LED says. "The company looked at relocating the Baton Rouge headquarters to Houston, where its parent company is based," Jindal says in news release. "Ultimately, the company decided to not only stay in Baton Rouge, but to expand their operations because of their strong and dedicated workforce and the tremendous support of our local and state economic development allies." Construction of the new facility will begin this year and be completed by next fall. In addition to corporate offices, the new headquarters will be home to 17 employees moving from the company's Gonzales distribution center and 12 employees moving from its Prairieville filtration center. Altogether, DMC Carter Chambers—a subsidiary of Pon Holdings BV of The Netherlands—oversees 486 employees in multiple states.

from businessreport.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Probably not worth mentioning...but Costco is moving to the old Coca-Cola plant site on Airline at interstate 12.

They'll make bank in that location. One of the best places in town for that type of retail. .

Probably not worth mentioning...but Costco is moving to the old Coca-Cola plant site on Airline at interstate 12.

They'll make bank in that location. One of the best places in town for that type of retail. .

Costco, as in the direct competitor to Sam's Club?

Exactly what Baton Rouge needs. Another huge retailer at the intersection of two busy arteries that will make a cluster **** at that intersection.

Other than that, cool.

Edited by Antrell Williams