Baton Rouge Growth and Development

NCB

Mid city and the Cortana area are both critical to a viable Baton Rouge. The preservation and redeveoplment around a 1 mile radius from the Florida and Foster intersection should be higher priority than any other redevelopment project in the parish.....and at this point, that includes downtown, which is on strong enough footing to sustain itself for a while.

The surface arteries should be safe, smooth routes with high enough traffic to sustain retail. Currently that's not happening on Florida.

Edited by cajun

Well, yeah, I just wish when something closed down, if it didn't get redeveloped, it would magically turn back into a field or something. But I was thinking, wouldn't it be something if Cortana got turned into an outlet mall, I think that would be neat. Like if Tanger moved to Cortana and the former Tanger became like Towne Center.

Well, yeah, I just wish when something closed down, if it didn't get redeveloped, it would magically turn back into a field or something. But I was thinking, wouldn't it be something if Cortana got turned into an outlet mall, I think that would be neat. Like if Tanger moved to Cortana and the former Tanger became like Towne Center.

Outlet malls tend to develop at interstate interchanges. Don't ever look for anything to happen to Cortana except the same thing that happened to Bon Marche. Unfortunately its very hard to find any company of substance that wants to sink alot of money into a venture that's located so close to high crime areas. Baton Rouge is no exception. 

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="dan326" data-cid="1249506" data-time="1357064346"><p>

Well, yeah, I just wish when something closed down, if it didn't get redeveloped, it would magically turn back into a field or something. But I was thinking, wouldn't it be something if Cortana got turned into an outlet mall, I think that would be neat. Like if Tanger moved to Cortana and the former Tanger became like Towne Center.</p></blockquote>

An outlet mall? There's a reason people don't go to Cortana and there's a reason why good businesses avoid the area. Making it a outlet mall won't change anything.

CATS bus riders now can track buses via GPS.

Baton Rouge's transit system won't be getting more buses or adding new routes anytime soon. But beginning this month, CATS riders will be better able to estimate their notoriously long waits, thanks to an app that will enable passengers to hone in—in real time—on the exact location of their bus and determine when it will arrive at the stop. The new system, which is technically up and running but will not be officially rolled out until later this month, is made possible by GPS devices that were recently installed in all 57 CATS buses. Riders will be able to download an app to their mobile devices that will show them where their buses are and how long until they pass. "It isn't a silver bullet," says CATS board Chairman Jared Loftus. "But it will make the system more efficient. It opens up a lot of possibilities for us." Loftus says the GPS system will be as useful for CATS management as it is for riders. Previously, there was no precise way to measure the locations and travel times of buses or to estimate wait times. "I'm of the opinion that what gets measured gets done," he says. "Now we'll have data that we can measure so we can make improvements." CATS directors approved a $1.4 million contract to purchase and install the GPS system on buses last spring, and Loftus says it was paid for with federal grant money. The costs associated with operating the system, however, will come out of the CATS operating budget, which is funded in part by the controversial 10.6-mill property tax approved by voters in Baton Rouge and Baker last year.

Good to know that fares couldn't be raised on the poor riders, yet CATS expects their poor riders to all have iPhones. Typical.

Brightside Lane development could break ground in spring

Construction on Myrtle Grove Townhomes, a 24-unit development at 3757 Brightside Lane, won't begin for at least another four months, says developer Loret Fremin. She and her husband, Francis Fremin, are next set to meet with the city-parish Department of Public Works to go over street-design plans for the development. Myrtle Grove is planned as a gated community on a 2.66-acre tract of land on the south side of Brightside Lane, between the Riverbend subdivision and River Road, but closer to the levee than the adjacent neighborhood. The development will consist of two- and three-bedroom townhomes, Fremin says. It had no design plans or name in October, when Fremin Construction gained approval from the Planning Commission board to rezone the property for development. —Adam Pearson

Businessreport.com

CATS bus riders now can track buses via GPS.

Baton Rouge's transit system won't be getting more buses or adding new routes anytime soon. But beginning this month, CATS riders will be better able to estimate their notoriously long waits, thanks to an app that will enable passengers to hone in—in real time—on the exact location of their bus and determine when it will arrive at the stop. The new system, which is technically up and running but will not be officially rolled out until later this month, is made possible by GPS devices that were recently installed in all 57 CATS buses. Riders will be able to download an app to their mobile devices that will show them where their buses are and how long until they pass. "It isn't a silver bullet," says CATS board Chairman Jared Loftus. "But it will make the system more efficient. It opens up a lot of possibilities for us." Loftus says the GPS system will be as useful for CATS management as it is for riders. Previously, there was no precise way to measure the locations and travel times of buses or to estimate wait times. "I'm of the opinion that what gets measured gets done," he says. "Now we'll have data that we can measure so we can make improvements." CATS directors approved a $1.4 million contract to purchase and install the GPS system on buses last spring, and Loftus says it was paid for with federal grant money. The costs associated with operating the system, however, will come out of the CATS operating budget, which is funded in part by the controversial 10.6-mill property tax approved by voters in Baton Rouge and Baker last year.

Good to know that fares couldn't be raised on the poor riders, yet CATS expects their poor riders to all have iPhones. Typical.

There are free phones with GPS capabilities, you know.

I'm sure he does concerning the capitalist phone companies who goal is to make lots of money and the government who want more taxes and the poor/ uneducated's modern "need" to have electronic devices like everyone else. I think the Gps feature was meant to attract people who don't fool with CATS because of what they've heard about the the wait times.

I'm sure he does concerning the capitalist phone companies who goal is to make lots of money and the government who want more taxes and the poor/ uneducated's modern "need" to have electronic devices like everyone else. I think the Gps feature was meant to attract people who don't fool with CATS because of what they've heard about the the wait times.

Exactly. All decent PT systems have GPS tracking.

I think the Gps feature was meant to attract people who don't fool with CATS because of what they've heard about the the wait times.

Agreed!

Tiger Trails also has a GPS app. It made taking the bus from Spanish Town to LSU very convenient. I most likely would have not taken the bus if they didnt provide the app, waiting at the bus stop for 30 min doesn't appeal to me, however the app allowed me to efficently manage my time and walk to the bus stop 2 min before the bus would arrive. 

• Like 1

This is potentially exciting! 500 jobs is very significant, and could lead the way for more business growth downtown. IBM has a HUGE brand awareness. If they move, what message does that give to other large businesses?

• Like 1

Cool Byrde!! This would be big for BR & the entire Metro area! For sure a game changer for downtown!

Imploding the hideous old 8-story Capital One Bank ??  Wonder how much square feet of office space would be needed?? Would the offices go on top of the new parking garage??

Or possibly locating at the old Advocate site?? Man that sure would be nice too!

Edited by richyb83

Part of the taxes in phone bills are to subsidize cell phones for poor people.

This is true, unfortunately.

Back to the IBM thing.....anyone see the job projections on that? That's a sizable impact. We should be very excited.

Edited by cajun