Baton Rouge Growth and Development

NCB

Paper and janitorial supplier plans warehouse on Sherwood Common    

Broussard Paper Inc. of Gonzales has submitted plans to the city-parish Planning Commission to build a 100,000-square-foot warehouse on the north end of Sherwood Common Boulevard near Coursey Boulevard, between Cody's Transportation System and Buckhead Business Center. The warehouse plans include a 10,000-square-foot office and showroom. The Planning Commission staff is recommending the board approve the site plans. The board next convenes for a regular meeting on Tuesday. Details on the exact use of the building are not yet clear. Messages left with the company were not returned. The company's website says Broussard Paper has been a provider of paper and janitorial needs in south Louisiana since 1987. —Adam Pearson

Businessreport.com

New neighborhood off Nicholson to include retailers

The population of south Baton Rouge along Nicholson Drive has grown a lot in recent years with the creation of new residential developments, but everyday necessities, such as gas and groceries, still remain far for most. That's why developer Greg Flores is planning to build retail and commercial office space for a 274-lot neighborhood, Lexington Park, to the south of Lexington Estates. "It'd be great to have a small, deli-style grocery there," Flores says. He also anticipates the possibility that a bank and other retailers, such as a dry cleaners store, could move to the Nicholson development. Lexington Park, which is technically a third phase of Lexington Estates, will bring the total number of homes Flores has built in the area to 442. The first phase was built in 2006. Before new homes are built, Flores says, he'll first build a clubhouse at the entrance to Lexington Park that will provide a pool, tennis courts and baseball field for the neighborhoods. The rear of Lexington Park will also include a 9-acre retention pond encircled by a walking path, complete with landscaping and lighting. "This will be part of the neighborhood," Flores says, rather than a backyard amenity for a select number of homes. Demand for residential housing has been strong in the area, Flores says, and he expects Lexington Park to kindle early pre-sales for lots. "I'm basically sold out of lots in Lexington Estates," he says. —Adam Pearson

Businessreport.com

New car dealerships being built off Airline

Two new car dealerships are breaking ground in coming weeks about a half-mile apart from one another on Airline Highway, south of Pecue Lane. Paretti Jaguar Land Rover Baton Rouge is building a new 26,500-square-foot facility at 13934 Airline Hwy., while brothers John and David Fabre—owners of Infiniti of Baton Rouge and Acura of Baton Rouge—are building a 7,800-square-foot facility for a Subaru dealership at 13399 Airline Hwy. "It's directly across the street from us," John Fabre says, of its proximity to the Infiniti and Acura dealerships. "We expect to have it open in about eight months." Subaru has never been represented well in Baton Rouge, Fabre says, and the brand will provide car buyers with a broader price range—that is, a less expensive option compared to the Infinity and Acura brands. Fabre says the Subaru dealership could initially employ 15 workers and sell 40 vehicles a month. In fact, the vehicles are already available on the Infiniti and Acura lots, Fabre says. Paretti Vice President Mike Rase says the Jaguar and Land Rover dealership, which opened in 1997, is moving from its currently leased facility to property it bought about five years ago. "The time has come for us to make a move," Rase says. The new Paretti facility will be half the size of its current facility but will have a "better flow to it," replete with a test track where car buyers can drive Land Rovers and a Jaguar performance center displaying the racing heritage of the vehicle brand. —Adam Pearson

Businessreport.com

• Like 1

Costco is proposing a 144,807-square-foot warehouse and 3,840-square-foot service station at the former Coca-Cola plant west of Airline Highway and south of Interstate12 in Baton Rouge.

Wholesale store to locate at old Coca-Cola bottling facility

*Also news on Mallard Trails, Myrtle Bluff & Cottages at Southfork

http://theadvocate.com/home/4984107-125/costco-could-be-in-br

• Like 1

I think they are building a new structure....just tearing out the bottling plant first. That intersection is close to the geographic center of the parish. It's far more valuable as a retail center than as an industrial site.

Looks like they are going to realign that intersection to improve traffic flow, as well as have an outlet to Bluebonnet, which means they'll essentially have their own traffic light right at the Airline/12 interchange.

I think this is probably the best location for a Costco if their plan is to address the Baton Rouge market with one store without cannabalizing future suburban stores to the south and east.

Sam's will be tough competition but I think Costco is a superior store and will have easier access.

If I were Costco, I'd buy plots off Juban in Livingston and somewhere in Gonzales near the interstate.

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1

D.R. Horton to buy Burbank development from Day

National homebuilder D.R. Horton has signed a purchase agreement with developer R.W. Day to acquire 69 acres of raw land at Pelican Lakes, Day's long-stalled planned unit development on Burbank Avenue. Day confirms the parcel is under contract and is expected to close "very soon." Though Day declines to provide a specific date or additional details, it appears the property transfer could take place in the next two weeks: D.R. Horton is listed as the owner of the property on the agenda for the Planning and Zoning Commission's Feb. 18 meeting, at which Horton will seek approval for Pelican Lakes' final development plan. "This was originally developed to be a PUD, and this is more or less in keeping with the PUD design," says Day, who began Pelican Lakes in the mid-2000s but completed only the first phase, the 60-unit Stonelake Condominiums. "They're just coming with an additional phase here, so they're not changing the zoning or anything," says Ryan Holcomb, a spokesman for the city-parish Planning Commission. The final development plan calls for 230 single-family homes on 32 acres, 93 townhomes on nearly 5 acres, a community recreational facility, ponds and green space. —Stephanie Riegel and Adam Pearson

Businessreport.com

• 2 weeks later...

I agree cajun. That site is easily accessible from everywhere. Any ideas on how they may create the outlet to Bluebonnet? Are they going to widen Celtic drive, perhaps? (I'm asking because I'm working on a deal that's in close proximity. This could affect it positively.

I answered my own question with the help of my buddy Google. (We go way back. :thumbsup: )

Looks like they are going to demolish the end of Dawnadale, diverting it closer to the store and curve it around the south side of the property to meet Celtic Drive. You'll be able to get to it from Bluebonnet by way of Celtic Drive, Airline, of course, or turn down Partridge off Jefferson and come in "the back way," beside the I-12 exit ramp. And, according to several sources, the plans have been approved.

Here's the site plan.

Edited by MykD
  • Like 1

Thanks for posting that link.

I like the new site plan, but now I'm concerned there will be parking issues if all those outparcles are developed for retail. Looks like they are planning plenty of landscaping..so there is some consolation for a box store. There was an initial plan a while ago with a soft link to Celtic through the parking area. This is a better setup for traffic flow.

It will be nice to not have an empty bottling plant there anymore.

I'd like to see Airline widened between Plank and Pecue. It's hard to believe that Baton Rouge had made due with such a narrow major artery. The traffic estimates that I've seen for that area looking forward are approaching what parts of west Houston sees on Westheimer within 20 years. They'll need up to 8 lanes and dual left turns at most intersections, which will take up most of the right of way, and make the current angles of the intersections like Interline and Dardale pretty useless.

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1

In a former life I traveled the Northeast doing live roadshows in Costco stores. Think infomercials, but live. :) My point is that I spent a lot of time in stores that were all in some of the nation's largest markets. These stores did the kind of volume that Baton Rouge could only dream about. Some of these stores had less parking than what's on the site plan for here, had fewer surface street outlets and there were no problems, even on weekends when volume spiked.

Edited by MykD

Thanks for posting that link.

I like the new site plan, but now I'm concerned there will be parking issues if all those outparcles are developed for retail. Looks like they are planning plenty of landscaping..so there is some consolation for a box store. There was an initial plan a while ago with a soft link to Celtic through the parking area. This is a better setup for traffic flow.

It will be nice to not have an empty bottling plant there anymore.

I'd like to see Airline widened between Plank and Pecue. It's hard to believe that Baton Rouge had made due with such a narrow major artery. The traffic estimates that I've seen for that area looking forward are approaching what parts of west Houston sees on Westheimer within 20 years. They'll need up to 8 lanes and dual left turns at most intersections, which will take up most of the right of way, and make the current angles of the intersections like Interline and Dardale pretty useless.

While I agree that Airline needs to be widened, that alone with do nothing to curb our traffic problems. After 3pm traffic will begin to accumulate and at each intersection there will be a hundred cars trying to make the light. We need to focus on connectivity rather than capacity.

I used to live on Westheimer and the difference with that is Airline has much less retail and residential along it's ROW, I always explained Westheimer as a really long Seigen Lane with a median.

Yeah it is...Houston is one giant vacuum!

This new set-up is a pain n the a***! Why the box pops up not allowing me to post pic 

Residential, commercial development improving...Contractors upbeat

http://theadvocate.com/news/business/5128701-123/contractors-upbeat

dtcommonstreamsstreamsei.jpg

Advocate staff photo by ARTHUR D. LAUCK -- The Elysian, a 100-unit apartment development now under construction on Spanish Town Road, was one of the major commercial projects permitted last year.

BR’s major commercial projects in 2012

http://theadvocate.com/news/business/5137727-123/brs-major-commercial-projects-in

• Like 1

Some possible infil development along the Florida Blvd corridor east of Sharp Road

Sherwood Forest neighborhood, developer discussing plan for residential project

The Sherwood Forest Citizens Association is not agreeable to a new rental apartment complex being proposed in the neighborhood, but would be comfortable with it if units were owner-occupied, says its former president, Gary Patureau. "That, of course, means fewer homes with a more traditional design," Patureau explains. As Daily Report reported Thursday, developer Eugene Ji has agreed to pare down the scope of Green Cottage Rental Community—which would be located on the grounds of the old aquatic club on Mollylea Drive—from 94 units to about 60. However, Patureau today clarifies that the neighborhood association will oppose the development unless it resembles owner-occupied complexes in the Old Hammond Highway area. Ji says he is willing to work with the neighborhood association. —Adam Pearson

Editor's note: An item appearing in Daily Report PM on Thursday incorrectly stated that the Sherwood Forest Citizens Association endorses the Green Cottage Rental Community. It will support the project only if the units are owner-occupied. Daily Report regrets the error.

Read more from Business Report here: http://www.businessreport.com/section/daily-reportPM#ixzz2LgfL2JXl
Edited by richyb83
  • Like 2

Yeah it is...Houston is one giant vacuum!

Texas has more favorable corporate tax rates than most states, including Louisiana. That has little to do with the Shaw situation last week, but I'm sick of Louisiana companies being picked of by Houston or Dallas.

Louisiana is head and shoulders more competitive than they were 10 years ago, but so is Texas. I think our corporate tax rates need to be revamped or replaced just to be competitive in attracting larger HQ back to the state.

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1

Texas has more favorable corporate tax rates than most states, including Louisiana. That has little to do with the Shaw situation last week, but I'm sick of Louisiana companies being picked of by Houston or Dallas.

Louisiana is head and shoulders more competitive than they were 10 years ago, but so is Texas. I think our corporate tax rates need to be revamped or replaced just to be competitive in attracting larger HQ back to the state.

That's why the governor is attempting to end all corporate taxes, which I cannot say I disagree with. It seemed to work for Texas.

It's a shame that we lost our only F500 company and I don't think we will see one anytime this decade.