Baton Rouge Growth and Development

NCB

Green amphitheater proposed for downtown

amphitheater.jpg

The designers propose a greenspace with an amphitheater for the land. The greenspace would extend to the LaSalle Building, which is on Third Street. Lafayette Street, which curves through the space, could be closed for festivals. Davis Rhorer, DDD executive director, says his group will review the plans.

Thanks for being so up-to-date with these latest developments NCB !

I am happy to see new Amedisys HQ's replacing old Schweggman eye-sore. At one time , Amedisys talked of building a possible office tower,not sure if that meant 4 -stories,or 6, or what ? The term "tower" can be used loosely it seems like. I was a bit dissapionted to find out there would be no height increase.

To make greenspace/amphitheatre Downtown at that location, they will have to raze an old State Bldg.(A.Z.Young Bldg.) I guess they will move into one of the final two new State bldgs(Iberville or Beinville ?). set to be complete this Summer. I was not sure ?

I can't wait ! It seems like it's taking forever to get the condo's started. The empty lot on which it will stands now is full of large orange cable coils.The Riverfront area is getting Cable/Internet/Wi-Fi , latest technology .

At the next block, North from Riverplace is the Old Advocate Newspaper Bldg. TheAdvocate moved a few months ago and the asbestos-filled bldg will be razed/demolished . Some talk is that a "Signature Bldg." could one -day be built on the prime riverfront real estate ! Possibly a mixed-use High-Rise Tower ?

I will be curious to see just how close in height to the State Capitol the RiverPlace Condo's will TOP-OUT ? I still would probably give the State Capitol the edge , due to the higher-elevation it stands on. But RiverPlace will be a striking presence to the Skyline !

City Plaza II and Laurel Plaza at nearly 20-stories; + New Courthouse and the Kress/Levy Bldg. renovation/addtion will put some density into the urban-core ! And the lights on at the newly renovation Hilton Capitol Hotel will help too.

PROPOSED MID-RISE DOWNTOWN

Adding to the growing number of developers considering office-space in the city center, a property owner of a parking lot is currently looking for tenants for a 10-story office bldg. It is to be located on the block Sixth Street btwn. Covention St. and Florida St. No public renderings as of yet.

http://www.businessreport.com/dailyreport.cfm

Edited by richyb83

I must say I'm happy and jealous all at the same time. I'm happy, because I think it's time Baton Rouge got a new skyline... and a beautiful one at that. Those are some nice-looking buildings they have planned. At the same time, I'm jealous BECAUSE those are such nice-looking buildings. They'd look good on either the Shreveport or Bossier City skylines as well. ;)

Seriously, I do think it's due time Baton Rouge's skyline changed. Next time I'm down in the New Orleans or Baton Rouge area, I'll definitely have to take a look-see. It'll likely be a couple of years anyway, so that should be just enough time. :)

DRASTIC CHANGES HAPPENING TO DOWNTOWN

This article talks about a few of the impressive projects recently planned.

Originnaly City Plaza II was to be a 14-story office ; but modifications were made, and now the tower will stand on top of the parking garage. City Plaza II should top-out near 20-stories . Funding for the project is still going on . I have seen no new rendering as of yet.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/2397506.html

Edited by richyb83

DRASTIC CHANGES HAPPENING TO DOWNTOWN

This article talks about a few of the impressive projects recently planned.

Originnaly City Plaza II was to be a 14-story office ; but modifications were made, and now the tower will stand on top of the parking garage. City Plaza II should top-out near 20-stories . Funding for the project is still going on . I have seen no new rendering as of yet.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/2397506.html

That's awesome. It's not only about time for Baton Rouge, but for Louisiana in general. Our cities are finally starting to catch up to the rest of the country, the way it should have been 20-30 years ago! I can't wait to see Baton Rouge's new skyline in a few years.

^Thats great!

You gotta love this quote from the article: "Looking at the future of Baton Rouge is like looking at the future of Austin (Texas) 30 years ago," Moret said. "You're talking about a community that's really turning the corner." :D

New Mississippi River Bridge to be built north of Baton Rouge

Construction on a new $213 million Mississippi River bridge to link Saint Francisville to New Roads should begin by the end of the year. Consultant Ron Hartje told the state Bond Commission yesterday he hopes the bridge will open to traffic in 2009, a year ahead of schedule.

The bridge will bypass to the south of Saint Francisville, away from the town's historic district and the Cat Island swamp. It will connect Louisiana Highway Ten and U-S Highway 61. A bridge between West Feliciana and Pointe Coupee parishes has been under consideration for decades.The span will replace a ferry used to cross the river.

newbridge030306.jpg

New Mississippi River Bridge to be built north of Baton Rouge

Construction on a new $213 million Mississippi River bridge to link Saint Francisville to New Roads should begin by the end of the year. Consultant Ron Hartje told the state Bond Commission yesterday he hopes the bridge will open to traffic in 2009, a year ahead of schedule.

The bridge will bypass to the south of Saint Francisville, away from the town's historic district and the Cat Island swamp. It will connect Louisiana Highway Ten and U-S Highway 61. A bridge between West Feliciana and Pointe Coupee parishes has been under consideration for decades.The span will replace a ferry used to cross the river.

newbridge030306.jpg

Damn Louisiana... that's why we can't get a new twinspan built to the Jimmie Davis Bridge!!!

Seriously, though, that's one good-looking bridge, especially for Louisiana! Wow!

Edited by supkof

I was thinking the same thing when I first saw it! :D

Definitely a nice bridge.

So as to not hijack the Batron Rouge development thread with Shreveport matters, I believe very soon I will make a Shreveport-related post outlining the importance of the expansion of the Jimmie Davis Bridge. Be looking for that.

Sorry, one more thing: it's about time they replaced that ferry! While it's cool that you can still take the ferry across the river and all, the bridge REALLY needs to be built.

That St.Francisville Bridge has been talked about for a real long-time .

Debate has always been ; does Baton Rouge need a third bridge over the Mighty Mississippi ? Building across North America's largest river comes with a hefty $$price tag$$ ! Shreveport has a major advantage located on a smaller Red River , enabling them to have a couple extra-bridges , including a nice Interstate System and Loops..something very needed in Baton Rouge. Years ago BR talked of a third bridge south; btwn. LSU and Plaquemine near Brusly .