Baton Rouge Growth and Development

NCB

The news in Downtown BR was that 3 buildings were sold ! "This shows the vitality that is going on in BR",he says. The developer will renovate them . *The 7-story Hotel King, was opened in the 20's . It had operated as an office bldg. from 1973 til 2004 . The bldg. is located across from the Shaw Arts Center and Capitol House which is scheduled to open in late Aug. as a 296-room Hilton hotel.

*The Lyceum Dean is used for receptions and special events.

*Dean Plaza...all 3 bldgs. are just a couple of blocks from each other.

This is the same developer that bought Kress/Welsh & Levy bldg. in Nov. The historic fascade will remain , then add-on to it ,as of now it will become a 10-story mixed-use,w/ 40-50 residentail units at the top.

Downtown continues it's forward momentum !!!

Edited by richyb83

One of the largest undeveloped areas left in the BR city limits will become a TND . Known as the Ford pasture, at 120-acres looks the part of a rural area , but not for long. It will connect Southdowns to the west and Pollard Estates to the east . Currently in the planning stages , the front green space intigrated into a village feel of office and retail anchored by a library. And Coldwater Creek will act as a boundry between residential,including single-family,townhomes,and condos .

http://fordneighbors.com

Edited by richyb83

An experimental continuous-flow intersection at very busy Airline Hwy/Siegen,So.Sherwood was opened yesterday in BR. There are 40 intersections like this in Mexico and only two in the U.S. in rural areas. I hope it works ? It looks chaotic to me. It's supposed to trim waits 30 seconds.

To view demonstration of how it works , go to

http://www.abmb.com/cfi-testdrive.html

An experimental continuous-flow intersection at very busy Airline Hwy/Siegen,So.Sherwood was opened yesterday in BR. There are 40 intersections like this in Mexico and only two in the U.S. in rural areas. I hope it works ? It looks chaotic to me. It's supposed to trim waits 30 seconds.

To view demonstration of how it works , go to

http://www.abmb.com/cfi-testdrive.html

It looks VERY chaotic to me. Are those red "stoppers" in the traffic lanes supposed to represent stoplights?

The trend toward "Lifestyle Centers" alive and well in BR. Creekstone of Houston is the developer.

The Towne Center at Cedar Lodge is located in the affluent area of Jefferson Hwy. at Corporate Blvd. The Omni Bank will soon begin construction and Phase I at 440,000 sq.ft will be complete ! Anchored by WholeFoods Market that opened in 2005,Town Center is an upscale blend over 40 local,regional, and national retailers ,9 restuarants, and over 300 condo units called Reserve at Cedar Lodge.

Phase II will soon begin ; it will include an additional 300 condo units, 90-room hotel,business park and some retail . When all is complete,it will include 760,000sq.ft of space . It the nicest development BR has seen in a long time !

I have had a hard time finding a good pic with it's Mediterranean architecture...this pic does it no justice

http://www.kurzhebert.com/property_sale_detail.cfm?id=159

The trend toward "Lifestyle Centers" alive and well in BR. Creekstone of Houston is the developer.

The Towne Center at Cedar Lodge is located in the affluent area of Jefferson Hwy. at Corporate Blvd. The Omni Bank will soon begin construction and Phase I at 440,000 sq.ft will be complete ! Anchored by WholeFoods Market that opened in 2005,Town Center is an upscale blend over 40 local,regional, and national retailers ,9 restuarants, and over 300 condo units called Reserve at Cedar Lodge.

Phase II will soon begin ; it will include an additional 300 condo units, 90-room hotel,business park and some retail . When all is complete,it will include 760,000sq.ft of space . It the nicest development BR has seen in a long time !

I have had a hard time finding a good pic with it's Mediterranean architecture...this pic does it no justice

http://www.kurzhebert.com/property_sale_detail.cfm?id=159

Sounds very cool. I like the Mediterranean style, so I think that's a big bonus to that center. Looks good from the picture you showed, but I can tell it obviously doesn't do it any justice.

The Towne Center website was to cheezy for me to post . And the pic I have shows only part of the development.

BR has more large open,undeveloped land than most cities it's size. The Towne Center is built on a huge horse farm that family kept for years, til recently, now Cedar Lodge horse farm is alot smaller. Towne Center is in the middle of the city surrounded by affluent neigborhoods . Years ago they connected Corporate Blvd. with Old Hammond Hwy.thru that property. And chunk,by chunk, the developments keep coming.The area is refered to by BRBusiness Report as the new"Golden-Mile" and the "Diamond District", due to very many jewelry retailers in such a small radius !

I found much better pics for Towne Center at Cedar Lodge

http://www.hermesarchitects.com/homepage.html

>click on portfolio(top); retail/lifestyle centers(left) ;Town Center at Cedar Lodge (and click on small boxes below site plan to enlarge)

Site Plan shows four Phases ; not shown is Residential + New phases with business park.

I found much better pics for Towne Center at Cedar Lodge

http://www.hermesarchitects.com/homepage.html

>click on portfolio(top); retail/lifestyle centers(left) ;Town Center at Cedar Lodge (and click on small boxes below site plan to enlarge)

Site Plan shows four Phases ; not shown is Residential + New phases with business park.

Wow, those are VERY good pictures. Looks like a cool center.

"Business Planners Urban Utopia" Major -Infil Project on 200 acres on of greenspace on east side of Mid-City. The plan is to take a swing at suburban sprawl, and merge cultures, classes, and races. This is the same group that got Bonne Carre Business Park started, renovating the CapitolHouse Hilton hotel downtown, and proposing the Laurel Tower and Acadiana Village ! They are innovative , most people hope they continue the projects !

http://2theadvocate.com/news/2524401.html

Can't wait to see site plan and pics !

Edited by richyb83

They said it could not be done, but the developer took a gamble anyway ! North BR has been stagnant or declining for many years . A 200-acre tract of unused acreage is being transformed into a multi-use business park . Howell Place is located on Harding Blvd.across from the Airport@ I-110 near US 190 and US 61 (2 miles from Southern Univ.)

This continues to enjoy success with signifigant new activity ! It is currently anchored by Hilton Garden Inn , Surgical Center that is run by minority doctors and several restaurants . Many more projects are on the board .

http://howellplace.com

This same developer is also Co-developer of the approved River Place Condo Tower to begin soon !

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/business/...y&hid=968013711

A plan for Old South Baton Rouge Neighborhood btwn. Downtown/LSU.

Hard part still ahead , making it reality. This ia a major redevelopment plan. Recommendations on attracting businesses, building parks, fixing streets and sidewalks and improving housing.. Like replacing rows of blighted apartments with new owner-occupied homes. Also amphitheaters and festival marketplace. Talks of a minor-league stadium near the old dock , but this is such a LSU town , I am not so sure ?

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/business/...y&hid=968013711

A plan for Old South Baton Rouge Neighborhood btwn. Downtown/LSU.

Hard part still ahead , making it reality. This ia a major redevelopment plan. Recommendations on attracting businesses, building parks, fixing streets and sidewalks and improving housing.. Like replacing rows of blighted apartments with new owner-occupied homes. Also amphitheaters and festival marketplace. Talks of a minor-league stadium near the old dock , but this is such a LSU town , I am not so sure ?

Baton Rouge may be an "LSU town," but that also means that the people of Baton Rouge love sports... so who knows!? Surely there are transplants in Baton Rouge who don't like LSU and would love to have something different to do?

The Howell Place development has been slow to unfold, but I think it will be successful. North Baton Rouge, Baker, Zachary and Central pass this area on on a daily basis. I would love to see a few more restaurants like Raising Canes, a Coffee Shop, even something new to the region like a Boston Market. They would all do well at Howell Place.

Howell Place is at a great location ! Most cities have growth like that near their airports . North Baton Rouge has been forgotten with projects like this til now. For many years every new major development has been in the southern-half of BR. I am glad to see someone taking the chance somewhere different for a change . I think Canes would do well up there too.

I agree , something different would be nice, like a minor-league baseball team. The Kingfish Hockey team did well here for a few years before folding. The IceGators from Lafayette even folded finally,after having some major success. And Arena Football in BR was cool with the Bayou Beast , but that too , only lasted a few years.

Howell Place is at a great location ! Most cities have growth like that near their airports . North Baton Rouge has been forgotten with projects like this til now. For many years every new major development has been in the southern-half of BR. I am glad to see someone taking the chance somewhere different for a change . I think Canes would do well up there too.

I agree , something different would be nice, like a minor-league baseball team. The Kingfish Hockey team did well here for a few years before folding. The IceGators from Lafayette even folded finally,after having some major success. And Arena Football in BR was cool with the Bayou Beast , but that too , only lasted a few years.

Yeah the arena football thing is kind of different... I'm really not sure how many more years our team can hang on either, But I didn't realize Baton Rouge and Lafayette both lost their hockey teams!? I don't follow hockey, but I know our team does really well and I actually thought those teams down there were doing well too. I'm confused on that.

Now speaking of Cane's... that's one good restaurant. They finally made it up this way a couple years ago and have done well since. Now they have a second one going just a couple miles outside of downtown and they even have a location near the La. Tech campus in Ruston. They seem to be doing really well everywhere they build across the state. Them's some good chicken fingers. One of my co-workers travels to Baton Rouge at least once a week on business, and he told me back before they opened one here, that he ate there literally every single day he was down there. One week in particular, he was in Baton Rouge for 4 days straight, and he ate at Cane's every day. He loves the place.

Edited by supkof

One week in particular, he was in Baton Rouge for 4 days straight, and he ate at Cane's every day. He loves the place.

Now that's how I was when I had to spend a couple of weeks out in San Diego on business. There's a chain on the west coast called In and Out Burger. Mmmmmmgoooood. They do everything fresh like Raising Canes.

Take a look at this aticle on how Todd Graves, owner of Canes, got started.

http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/0,4621,311420-4,00.html

Now that's how I was when I had to spend a couple of weeks out in San Diego on business. There's a chain on the west coast called In and Out Burger. Mmmmmmgoooood. They do everything fresh like Raising Canes.

Take a look at this aticle on how Todd Graves, owner of Canes, got started.

http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/0,4621,311420-4,00.html

That's a good article. Mr. Graves' success is definitely well-deserved... that restaurant can make some chicken strips. Got to watch out, though, it's still my second favorite, behind Popeye's. My favorite chicken strips are the spicy ones from Popeye's.

But alas, my Dr. has put me on a diet, so I won't be eating any fried chicken for a while. :(

Baton Rouge Metro Population Stats

Baton Rouge CSA population in 2000- 600,000

Baton Rouge CSA population in 2004- 727,000 (estimate)

Projected Baton Rouge CS Population in 2010- 850,000-1.1 million

One interesting stat is that the Baton Rouge metro was one of the fastest growing metro's under 1 million people in the country from 2000-2004, and was expected to reach far over 1 million people in the 2010's. Now after Katrina, growth in the area will most likely contine at a much faster rate.

According to the 2000 census, the Baton Rouge CSA population was 729,361 (far higher than the 600,000 you quoted). According to 2004 estimates, the CSA population was 750,619 (a bit higher than your figure). According to 2005 estimates, the CSA population was 756,998.

So, population growth from April 1, 2000 thru July 1, 2005 was only 27,637, or 3.8%. That is far from being one of the fastest growing metros under 1 million people. In fact, out of the ten parishes comprising the CSA, six lost population and two others gained less than 100. Ascension Parish and Livingston Parish had phenomenal growth, however. At the 2000 thru 2005 growth rate, it wouldn't be until the 2040's or 2050's before the Baton Rouge CSA would reach 1 million in population.

Census    Census   Estimate  Estimate  Estimate  Estimate  Estimate  Estimate   Increase 00-05   
1-Apr-90 1-Apr-00 1-Jul-00 1-Jul-01 1-Jul-02 1-Jul-03 1-Jul-04 1-Jul-05 # %
Ascension P 58,214 76,627 77,358 79,526 81,728 84,410 87,019 90,501 13,874 18.1%
East Baton Rouge P 380,105 412,852 412,770 410,723 410,147 410,970 411,564 411,417 -1,435 -0.3%
East Feliciana P 19,211 21,360 21,382 21,247 21,108 21,030 20,870 20,823 -537 -2.5%
Iberville P 31,049 33,320 33,313 33,285 33,062 32,801 32,483 32,386 -934 -2.8%
Livingston P 70,523 91,814 92,581 95,538 98,945 102,126 105,758 109,206 17,392 18.9%
Pointe Coupee P 22,540 22,763 22,768 22,621 22,560 22,503 22,444 22,377 -386 -1.7%
St. Helena P 9,874 10,525 10,513 10,433 10,425 10,322 10,309 10,259 -266 -2.5%
West Baton Rouge P 19,419 21,601 21,566 21,644 21,694 21,685 21,855 21,634 33 0.2%
West Feliciana P 12,915 15,111 15,135 15,147 15,165 15,233 15,111 15,199 88 0.6%
Assumption P 22,753 23,388 23,384 23,232 23,208 23,229 23,206 23,196 -192 -0.8%
CSA 646,603 729,361 730,770 733,396 738,042 744,309 750,619 756,998 27,637 3.8%[/codebox]

Edited by Phizzy

According to the 2000 census, the Baton Rouge CSA population was 729,361 (far higher than the 600,000 you quoted). According to 2004 estimates, the CSA population was 750,619 (a bit higher than your figure). According to 2005 estimates, the CSA population was 756,998.

So, population growth from April 1, 2000 thru July 1, 2005 was only 27,637, or 3.8%. That is far from being one of the fastest growing metros under 1 million people. In fact, out of the ten parishes comprising the CSA, six lost population and two others gained less than 100. Ascension Parish and Livingston Parish had phenomenal growth, however. At the 2000 thru 2005 growth rate, it wouldn't be until the 2040's or 2050's before the Baton Rouge CSA would reach 1 million in population.

The info that I provided was a combination of what I found at a number of different sites.

From Wikipedia:

As of the 2000 census, its population was 227,818 and as of 2004, the latest U.S. Census Bureau estimate puts the city at 224,097. The Greater Baton Rouge area as of 2000 had a population of 602,894, but grew up to over 700,000 since the 2000 census making it the second largest metro area in the state after Greater New Orleans.
Baton Rouge was rated one of the largest mid-sized business cities, and was also a faster growing metropolitan area than metropolitan New Orleans. It was also one of the fastest growing metropolitan areas in the U.S. (under 1 million), with 600,000 in 2000 and 700,000 since 2000 (although the numbers are shifted since Katrina). It is projected that its metro population could increase far past 1 million in the 2010s.

From CensusScope.com:

Population, 1960-2000
1960 1970 1980 1990 2000
Total 299,755 375,628 494,151 528,264 602,894
Change 75,873 118,523 34,113 74,630
Percent Change 25.31% 31.55% 6.90% 14.13%
[/codebox]

From Emporis.com, which uses the 2005 estimate for Baton Rouge's metro population:

[b]Population[/b]

224,097 in city and 751,965 in metro

Perkins Palms condos proposed

Mar14Prop.jpg

Developer Donnie Jarreau has unveiled plans for new condos on Perkins Road and he says a separate project on Brightside Drive is underway. Jarreau will build Perkins Palms condos on Perkins next to a BREC park. The asking price for units is between $150,000 to $225,000, with the 21 condos ranging from 800 square feet to 1,000 square feet. Jarreau bought five acres for the project last year. A bank will build on the front of the property and the development will have 8,000 square feet of retail. A local restaurateur is in discussions to take some of the retail space.

Hilton Capitol Center

P1010022AA.jpg

The transformation of the old Heidelberg Hotel on Lafayette and Convention Streets into a 300-room Hilton Hotel is currently in progress. The windows are being installed and the interior is being framed out. The project completion is expected for late summer 2006. The architects for the project are Robert M. Coleman & Partners Architects.