Welcome!

Mith242

Agreed! :thumbsup:

With all the reconstruction on the Ms Gulf Coast, and probable development just inland, this will be the perfect place to discuss.

Also, I'm sure there's plenty of development in the northern part of the state, just across the border from Memphis.

I imagine that NCB or Rural King will start moving over some of the Mississippi topics over in the Louisiana forum once they notice this forum exists.

Has anyone got ideas about how they would like the forum arranged? Without a doubt, the construction on thew Coast is the most compelling activity in the state. Other areas might well be addressed, however. I'm sure that Nate will get things in order very soon.

I went ahead and moved most of the threads over here. Since we did not have a MS forum before, there could be other threads scattered around... So, if there are any other threads that you come accross anywhere on the forums, please let us know so that they can be moved here. :shades:

Congrats on the forum guys! :thumbsup:

My internet was out this moring so I was not online to move the threads over here from the LA forum, thanks Spartan!

If you have any problems, questions, or ideas for the arrangement of the forum, please PM Rural King or myself. :)

Wow, I had no idea that we had this many MS threads going on here. :shades:

Yea it suprised me too. I guess I hadn't realized how many Mississippi threads were over in the Tennessee forum. I'm very happy a MS forum was created, there is definately plenty to talk about. :thumbsup:

I don't think there are too many exciting developments in the Memphis area of Mississippi other than the Myriad, Riverbend, and the megasite, but the new interstates may change that. Mostly typical suburban sprawl in Desoto :( but keep your eye on Tunica because it could still develop into something special. Anyone keep track of developments in the Tupelo area?

If there are any viewers here who are not members, please do consider joining us at Urban Planet. Membership is free, by the way. I'm hoping to initiate more discussion of Mississippi topics here.

To join, click the link at the top of the page.

Edited by tombarnes

I don't think there are too many exciting developments in the Memphis area of Mississippi other than the Myriad, Riverbend, and the megasite, but the new interstates may change that. Mostly typical suburban sprawl in Desoto :( but keep your eye on Tunica because it could still develop into something special. Anyone keep track of developments in the Tupelo area?

Even if that's all there was going on, I think those developments are pretty exciting in their own right. Then, you've got the Tunica airport which I believe is now flying in 737's.

And, too, DeSoto County is something on the order of the 35th fastest growing county in the US, and you have Tunica as the 3rd largest gambling center.

So, I think with all that, there will be a lot of new development going on in the Memphis/Mississippi metro area.

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Has anyone got ideas about how they would like the forum arranged? Without a doubt, the construction on thew Coast is the most compelling activity in the state. Other areas might well be addressed, however. I'm sure that Nate will get things in order very soon.

Divide it into Mississippi, then your major cities, and then the coast, sort of the way North Carolina, South Carolina , and Georgia are with a extra coffee shop for "whatever talk", or any subject talk. It works well on Georgia's site. Just a suggestion from someone who had many relatives in Mississippi. And I miss Mississippi!!!!!!!

If Nate sees more postings in the Mississippi forum, I think we could expect a rearrangement into more sub-categories. I'd love to have more detailed sub-forums. For the moment, though, keep the postings and ideas flowing! I'd like to banish the stupid name I chose for the coffee house. Maybe we can get this changed soon. :rolleyes:

• 4 years later...

I have decided that I am going to give the Mississippi forum more attention. I usually only post in the Atlanta Forum and two of our second tier cities in Georgia which are Macon and Savannah. I also occassionally post in the Charlotte Forum. I have been buried lately in projects ranging from a shopping complex in Savannah to new "Welcome" signage on all of Atlanta's Freeways.

But for some reason I can not get the wonderful memories of the summers I spent in Mississippi with my grandparents from the age of 5 up into my teenage years. My Grandfather was born in Forest MS, and my Grandmother from France. My mom was born in Forest MS, and we had these huge family reunions unlike anything I had ever experienced. Mississippi may not be the same now, but back then the people were warm, freindly, easy to talk to, and so close nit. They would even wave at us in the car as we passed by. This was unheard of in Atlanta, where if you accidentally cut in front of someone on the freeway or some other perceived error, instead of the person waving at you, you were more than likely to get the finger, and some loud profanity!

I just do not know what it is, but I very much miss Mississippi and her people. I miss the closeness, the freindliness, and even a hug or two. I was telling my mom this and she reminded me that 40% percent of my blood is Atlanta, but the other 50% of my blood, with the 10% French blood, is Mississippi blood running through my veins, and I guess she was right. Atlanta has a MSA of 5.5 million and a CSA of over 6 million and is a Alpha- World City. I never as a 13 year old thought I would be living in this. There is even Smog Season that runs from April through September. April starts out with Code Yellow, then in May Code Orange, but then June, July, August, and part of September are Code Red every day 24/7. In October it is finally over and we go to Code Yellow, then the cold weather takes Atlanta out of smog season, And OMG!!, 24- lane wide freeways at major freeway interchanges that are 5 levels. The next one will be an 8 stack and possibly outrank L.A. in its interchange size. I have only related this information to show you the madness I live in and I can not take it anymore. I want what I had and miss so much and I am in tears right now as I try to finish typing this. Maybe I need to come to my second home, where I know I was always welcomed and I am a half Mississippian, and maybe I have always remained in my Mississippi relatives hearts.

Thank you so much for letting me share and cry, I love Mississippi and I always will.

Kenneth Disraili-Jean Benoit

The memories were wonderful in Mississippi and it will alway be like a second home to me, and she will remain in my heart forever.

The End

Edited by Kenneth Disraili-Jean