Lenox Square/Phipps Plaza

Temeteron

It still amazes me that we are missing quite a few of the upper crust boutiques here in Atlanta. .... Why the others have shunned us, I don't know.

Can't you buy all that stuff in the department stores? I'm not much of a shopper but it seems like I've seen those brands in places like Sak's and Neiman Marcus.

Can't you buy all that stuff in the department stores? I'm not much of a shopper but it seems like I've seen those brands in places like Sak's and Neiman Marcus.

Department stores have a limited selection.

Atlanta has a wide variety of retail, but it still isn't near the top tier nationwide. Atlanta lacks many more upper-crest retailers than just those listed. European designers and american designers open in many places before Atlanta and over-expansion is always a consideration. So looking at that, many of the labels you picked right there have very few stores nationwide and wouldn't choose Atlanta in its first couple american expansions.

Department stores have a limited selection.

Atlanta has a wide variety of retail, but it still isn't near the top tier nationwide. Atlanta lacks many more upper-crest retailers than just those listed. European designers and american designers open in many places before Atlanta and over-expansion is always a consideration. So looking at that, many of the labels you picked right there have very few stores nationwide and wouldn't choose Atlanta in its first couple american expansions.

Hopefully the new "Buckhead Village" development will solve this problem.

Businesses don't operate with some sort of city pecking order whether they're in Atlanta or not. If the market is there, a desirable space is available, and the retailer is actually seeking to expand, then there would be no reason those retailers wouldn't choose to locate in Phipps or Lenox.

Edited by Martinman

Actually Manolos, Jimmy Choo opened its Atlanta boutique before it opened its Copley Place boutique in Boston....and furthermore, Kate Spade opened its Charlotte boutique before the Atlanta one, and Charlotte has a Puma store and ATL doesnt, i think it has to do with mall space and positioning and timing.....

Edited by Temeteron

Puma isnt a luxury store so it doesnt really follow the same trend.

But, concerning kate spade, kate spade underwent a national expansion pretty quickly opening close to 15 stores within the first year and a half they expanded. They had made lease agreements with a good majority of their stores so the individual openings just depended on the mall agreement. Katespade is also more of affordable luxury than on scale of say Oscar de la Renta, Chloe, Prada, etc.

Yes Jimmy Choo opened in Atlanta before Boston, almost a year before, but Jimmy Choo had also been debating between Copley and Newbury for sometime and been scouting Boston for close to two years.

When certain brands plan to expand they usually have a certain tier or so. Priority cities over others. Certainly there will be a few that stray from this "order", but the upper-crest stores that Perimeter mentioned definitely have priority cities over others.

Obviously market/demographics/luxury saturation are other key ideas to follow but mall space isn't a huge problem for many markets. If Valentino wanted to open at Phipps, I'm sure Simon isn't going to stop them. Many malls also weed out certain stores, terminating their leases after some time to make room for a higher-valued tenant (Short Hills, Am. Manhasset, White Plains, Santana Row, and Somerset all do this.) With Bal Harbour Shops and Forum Shops in LV as exceptions since they have ridiculously long wait-lists.

Edited by Manolos

There is only so much retail space in Atlanta. There's even less at the mall, which where retailers almost always want to locate. Expanding costs money. Money which some of those companies either do not have or should not spend.

There was a Dior boutique in Atlanta years ago. It closed in the late 90's. IIRC, the woman who owned the boutique still retains the rights to Dior Atlanta.

ETA: Valentino is opening a store in Atlanta as are a few other retailers. I can't remember any of them at the moment. :(

Edited by charlotte_bon_vivant

Valentino hasn't confirmed yet, at least not in any formal press release. Most recently in early jan, I heard they were looking to open 10 more US locations (they currently have 7) with San Fran, Chicago, Dallas and Atlanta as possible locations.

Also, WWD says there is a high possibility for M Missoni to come to Atlanta (a much more affordable version of the Valentino brand, Missoni, but they are avoiding major shopping areas so maybe somewhere outside of Phipps?) But they are scouting in Atlanta and New Orleans!

And Dior mustve been before I relocated to Atlanta in 98, never heard anything about a Dior ever being there. But hopefully Dior gets over that and decides to reopen again!

Edited by Manolos

AFAIK, Valentino has an agreement with Simon. I didn't get that info from WWD. I posted about Missoni in the Charlotte forum several months ago. I cannot recall, but they might be the first retailer for the planned Lenox expansion. Or maybe that was another store...

As I said, Dior closed in the late 90's. I think we've discussed it on this forum previously. There was once an YSL as well. Closed in the late 80's or early 90s. My apologies for such a vague response. I'm pregnant and my brain is very cloudy right now.

• 2 weeks later...

There shouldn't be anything in Houston's Galleria that Atlanta doesn't have.

Currently, Galleria has YSL, Dior, Fendi, Bvlgari, Swatch, Chanel, Emporio Armani

We don't.

Galleria is an amazing mall. Houston is the 4th Biggest city in America. They should have everything..

The 5th biggest. Philadelphia has the King of Prussia Mall. Another Elite mall.

There shouldn't be anything in Houston's Galleria that Atlanta doesn't have.

Currently, Galleria has YSL, Dior, Fendi, Bvlgari, Swatch, Chanel, Emporio Armani

We don't.

Houston's Galleria has long been a shopping mecca since it first opened. Houston has gets more international visitors (especially from Mexico) who come down here to shop. A lot of the elite and rich Mexicans plan weekend trips down here just to go to the Galleria. The Galleria has been in Houston since 1960 and about 24 million people a year go there.

So, I don't really agree with the thread title. I don't think this area is the shopping empire of the South.

Edited by Trae

Houston's Galleria has long been a shopping mecca since it first opened. Houston has gets more international visitors (especially from Mexico) who come down here to shop. A lot of the elite and rich Mexicans plan weekend trips down here just to go to the Galleria. The Galleria has been in Houston since 1960 and about 24 million people a year go there.

So, I don't really agree with the thread title. I don't think this area is the shopping empire of the South.

It really isn't. Maybe the South East, minus Florida.

Probably not even the southeast. Just the states around GA, again minus Florida.

• 3 weeks later...
Do any of you know what Lenox's policy is on cameras in the mall? Our Crabtree Valley Mall here in Raleigh doesn't allow them. I've actually seen security guards shut down some teens taking photos of each other.
And mallgeeks capturing history too. :( Don't get me started on Crabtree's photo policy...