The Rumor Mill

btoy

• 1 month later...

I'm wondering if the Humane Society and Greenville County worked out a deal. All the want ads for animal care employees were suddenly and prematurely yanked from the Greenville County web site. But if you Google one of the job titles (e.g., "Lead Animal Care Technician") you'll find the cache for the Greenville site as well as other job listing services that still have the jobs posted. They didn't just pull one job listing. They pulled all of them. At once. I suspect there's a deal in the works with the Humane Society -- based on no more information other than what I've spelled out right here.

i've heard there looking at the corner of Cleveland St. and Pleasantburg also....

That is a retail graveyard- EVERY business that locates there has failed.

I'm assuming I'll get a reply such as "mallguy, you don't know anything" (as I've gotten for my Greenville Mall post), but I grew up less than a mile from that location and saw gas station after dry cleaner after gas station fail in that location over the past few decades. There isn't enough traffic there.

That is a retail graveyard- EVERY business that locates there has failed.

I'm assuming I'll get a reply such as "mallguy, you don't know anything" (as I've gotten for my Greenville Mall post), but I grew up less than a mile from that location and saw gas station after dry cleaner after gas station fail in that location over the past few decades. There isn't enough traffic there.

Maybe you understimate the power of a yummy Blackberry (or other Monin Syrup) Slushin' Joe. :P

PCJ is opening three new locations, from what I've been told: Augusta Road, Field House at West End, Cherrydale.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: Great to see Port City opening so many locations in Greenville. They are taking on Starbucks head on. :thumbsup:

Someone posted a few days ago about Greenville and it's cell phone usage rankings. I'd be curious where we stand as a coffee city. I'd venture to say that per capita, coffee consumption here is pretty high (at least for a Southern warm weather town).

• 3 weeks later...

Even though it is several blocks off of the main hub of activity on Main Street, Main at McBee would be my preferred choice location-wise simply because you have so much right there - Publix, Staples, etc. That would be so great to just walk to and from the supermarket! :thumbsup:

I agree! Maybe a highrise residential development will occur in the Suntrust Parking lot just on the other side of the bridge... :rolleyes:

Okay GvilleSC, is this a dream of yours or have you heard rumors of something?

On that note, are we still waiting to hear the big announcement you hinted at over a week ago?

This is most definitely a dream.

On another side note.... Developer is taking proposal for the Woolworth Building... I saw one that looked awesome. It was a 27 story tower. Almost twice as tall as the Bank of America building that would be next to it.... ANYWAY, before yall make this out to be something, I was specifically told that it was HIGHLY UNLIKELY to be picked because it was almost unrealistic considering some details, but it's a cool idea to throw around! AND it's nice to know that they are making progress in developing that site!

Edited by GvilleSC

I wonder just what is so unrealistic about a 27 floor tower on that site? To me, that'd be ideal, especially if it were a mixed use of residential, office space, and retail. I'd love to see what this proposal looks like.

27 stories in G'ville? It would be awesome. It would be unprecedented. It would be the talk of the town. It would get it's own thread on urban planet! :D

I don't know if it's unrealistic, but it's definitely a stretch at this point. If there is a corporate office moving to town that would take a considerable portion of the building, then I'd say it's a good stretch. If it's a spec building trying to rent one floor at a time... I don't know.

The only thing I like less than NOT building is new buildings that stay empty. I've lived in plenty of cities that overbuilt and it really hurts momentum.

Edited by interestedexpat

I think the unrealistic thing was the 13 story parking garage that i didn't mention... It would be almost as tall as Bank of America :shok:

I don't know. I mean of course there's always a chance! By the way, it looked awesome!

I'm sure it would mean a new state tallest... and what could be better than it being right in the middle of our current skyline. I'd like to see what other people are proposing...

Well, if it where built, it would have to be stepped back from Main St, because there is a height restriction directly on Main. 40' or something close to that.

Considering there were like 9 mid-to-high rises that were proposed less than a year ago, and none of them have been built, I would say you can forgot about seeing a 27-story building.

I just want SOMETHING to go up on the Woolworth's site. Hopefully to include a major retail anchor to complement Mast General. The whole BofA/Young Fashions/Woolworth area has been in 'rendering-land' for too long. Let's see something there.

P.S. So GvilleSC, what is the status of the 'about to break' announcement/project you mentioned previously. Can you get a timetable on when we will hear something?

I can definitely see this tower being built, if it includes a wide range of mixed uses, including affordable residential. I don't think it would be too difficult to incorporatate plenty of retail, entertainment, hotel, office, and residential into a decent-sized tower that works in downtown Greenville. Imagine the pedestrian activity it would spill out into the center of Main Street. It would help to strengthen the economy in many different ways, in my opinion.

Could you describe the design of the proposed 27-story high-rise in as much detail as possible, GvilleSC? PLEASE?

I can definitely see this tower being built, if it includes a wide range of mixed uses, including affordable residential. I don't think it would be too difficult to incorporatate plenty of retail, entertainment, hotel, office, and residential into a decent-sized tower that works in downtown Greenville. Imagine the pedestrian activity it would spill out into the center of Main Street. It would help to strengthen the economy in many different ways, in my opinion.

Could you describe the design of the proposed 27-story high-rise in as much detail as possible, GvilleSC? PLEASE?

It would be mixed use, including residential.

Describe... well, it wasn't just a box :) . I really can't, because It wasn't a detailed but just more conceptual shell with no windows... etc. Maybe before the proposal is ready to go out, it will have been beefed up with a little detail. If so, I'll inform yall. It wasn't just a square, but I can't tell about signature or not for Greenville. I'll be sure to keep yall posted!

OK GvilleSC, if it is "highly unlikely" then why is a proposal going to go out? They wouldn't go to the trouble if there weren'some likelihood. As for a 27 story building, this would really be awesome for out DT, and even the 13 story parking garage could be really cool if done right (or think if the building were built on top of it how tall it would be!) But I am a little skeptical like vicupstate, if none of the others have broken ground, why would this one?

BTW GvilleSC, telling us about a proposal like this and then saying it is highly unlikely is almost more cruel than just teasing about it! :P

I didn't know they would build 13-story parking buildings - ESPECIALLY all above the ground. Isn't it more practical to build all or part of the parking underground? Oh well, hopefully the 13 stories of parking would have real windows and look like an occupied office building rather than a traditional parking garage. I am trying not to get my hopes up about this, but it is hard not to! Although vicupstate makes a great point that something of this magnitude is unlikely given Greenville's recent penchant for delayed and cancelled highrise proposals. :(