ARCHIVE: Downtown Orlando Master List

bobliocatt

Largest employers from the Book of Lists.

Business Name Employees

Valencia Community College 2,938

Seminole Community College 1,658

There's something wrong with this list (me thinks). How can it contain TWO community colleges and yet UCF, the 5th largest university in the US, is not included?

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

had an acquaintance from NYC visit me yesterday. He saw my place in downtown orlando and couldn't believe the price I was paying. "for something like this you'd easily pay over $1 million in NYC".

He also couldn't believe how active downtown was on a tuesday night (went to the social & i bar), and raved about how cheap drinks were. Made me feel proud to be living in downtown and see just how good we have it here.

had an acquaintance from NYC visit me yesterday. He saw my place in downtown orlando and couldn't believe the price I was paying. "for something like this you'd easily pay over $1 million in NYC".

He also couldn't believe how active downtown was on a tuesday night (went to the social & i bar), and raved about how cheap drinks were. Made me feel proud to be living in downtown and see just how good we have it here.

I get the same reaction from relatives coming down from Chi-town...

Yes, but you also have to consider comparative average salaries and the overall lack of high paying jobs in Orlando. Check out the following data from PayScale.

Orlando:

Median-Salary-by-Years-Experience---City-Orlando-United-States_USD_20090312030001-v1.0.jpg

New York:

Median-Salary-by-Years-Experience---City-New-York-United-States_USD_20090303125548-v1.0.jpg

So the average young professional in career years 5-9 makes over $20k less per year in Orlando than in New York. By the time he/she reaches career maturity (with 20+ years experience) that gap has widened to over $30k.

Now by guestimation, that disparity doesn't equate to the straight-line COLA for living in a big city like NYC or Chicago. But also consider that many of those people simply don't need personal automobiles, whereas a LARGE number of Downtown Orlando residents work outside the immediate downtown area, and a large portion of those that do live and work downtown still own cars (look at all those parking decks!). There's no mass transit in Orlando (separate topic) so DT Orlando residents really DO need to own a car in order to have any life at all. Wish there was some comparative data on percentages of downtown residents who own cars in mid-size Florida cities like Orlando, Tampa, and Ft. Lauderdale vs. major cities, but I can't find any.

The other MAJOR intangible is old money. Can't cite any specific data, but the number of trust funds in a city like New York or Boston must be astronomically higher than in Orlando. And inherited $$$ go a looooong way.

There are sooo many things here that are like comparing apples to oranges. You can't compare Orlando and New York average salaries so generically. The New York incomes are skewed way higher by the large number of high level corporate, finance, and stock market related jobs. If you were comparing similar jobs, say a mid level IT person or junoir accountant the difference would probably not be $30,000, it would be much closer. The salary difference also does not show the fact it costs a couple hundred dollars more a month to keep a car in New York if you need one, or the fact it will cost you double every day to go out for lunch, unless you eat a hot dog from the dirty water dog carts.

There are too many variables to just look at salaries.

New Yorks governer said he is afraid to raise taxes in New York even tho the state is cash strapped. Currently somthing like 40,000 people already pay over %60 of the states taxes. And if taxes are raised he speculated some of the 40,000 might move out of the state.

But back on subject.... Cost of living in the North East is also MUCH higher than it is in Orlando. Another fact that hasn't been pointed out.

interesting tidbits

Condo sales/rentals seem to be picking up. I was looking at other places to live downtown, and decided to check out Paramount and Dynatech. Paramount was booked solid w/ prospective buyers/renters for almost a week, finally got to see some units & wasn't that impressed. However, it surprised me how many people are looking at buying or renting downtown in this horrible economy.

Checked out Dynatech. Seemingly not as busy, but the lease agent told me they did 7 leases just last week. That's pretty good. One was a man who owns a house in Windermere, got tired of being far away from everything and wanted to move downtown. Dynatech has absolutely GORGEOUS units, for around the same price as Paramount and much much nicer. I will probably be moving in w/i the next few months.

My point is, interest in downtown living seems to be picking up, despite the economic downturn. It's mostly bargain hunters now, but when things pick back up I easily see downtown being poised for more towers. The demand will be there.

interesting tidbits

Condo sales/rentals seem to be picking up. I was looking at other places to live downtown, and decided to check out Paramount and Dynatech. Paramount was booked solid w/ prospective buyers/renters for almost a week, finally got to see some units & wasn't that impressed. However, it surprised me how many people are looking at buying or renting downtown in this horrible economy.

Checked out Dynatech. Seemingly not as busy, but the lease agent told me they did 7 leases just last week. That's pretty good. One was a man who owns a house in Windermere, got tired of being far away from everything and wanted to move downtown. Dynatech has absolutely GORGEOUS units, for around the same price as Paramount and much much nicer. I will probably be moving in w/i the next few months.

My point is, interest in downtown living seems to be picking up, despite the economic downturn. It's mostly bargain hunters now, but when things pick back up I easily see downtown being poised for more towers. The demand will be there.

that's fascinating. I recently learned that one of Dynetech's PH renters uses it as a local residence for similar reasons-- doctor in Volusia with a clinic here as well; I think these two cases prove that there is money here and that there is somewhat of a demand for downtown residences.

I hope Lane Companies keeps track of this stuff...

They have a sales tax that is almost twice ours and a state income tax. And if you make over 90k I believe, you pay a City income tax.

As a former New Yorker I will help out a little on this one.

The state has something like a 4% sales tax, but each county sets their own rate as well. this leaves the rate as high as 9% around new York and Long Island.

We tax everything as well, from prepared food to clothes to anything that we could think of. I know some states do not tax clothes and others do not tax food. Most groceries in NY are not taxable, but anything that is processed can be taxed. so meat and produce no, hot pockets yes.

We generally have high property taxes that are levied by their local community.

City income taxes are only in certain counties. and It has or at leased used to have nothing to do with income, just location. If you live inside the boarders you pay the tax.

The 5 counties of New York City have a city tax as well as Yonkers and some other place I can not think of right now.

Something else to think about is that New York is so damn big that "city living" can be had is so many different towns outside of NYC, and can even be found in CT and Jersey. So even though tax concerns are real, there are ways to avoid them and still make NYC monies and live NYC lifestyle. Avoiding the high cost of living is a little harder, but also can be achieved.

for the sake of apples to BIG apples,

http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/costoflivin...stofliving.html

using this site, the cost of licing is HUGELY different.

if you made 100,000 in Orlando you would need to make 217,623 to maintain lifestyle in New York City!!!

Comparable salary in

New York (Manhattan), NY

$217,623If you move from Orlando, FLto ....Groceries will cost: 40% more

Housing will cost: 356% more

Utilities will cost: 64% more

Transportation will cost: 15% more

Healthcare will cost: 38% more

• 2 months later...

There is a scooter store about to open next week next to Dynetech where the construction office was located. They only have 2 scooters in there now and it looks like a setup for a band to play the grand opening night which I believe is May 31st.

Also, the post from someone about Golden Tickets to the Plaza Cinema Cafe for May 25-27 was changed to June 1-3. I went down there to watch Star Trek and it didn't happen. I still bought my ticket, but will have to wait until next week. They weren't ready to open yet. They are supposed to be ready for Friday though. We'll see.

They have a sales tax that is almost twice ours and a state income tax. And if you make over 90k I believe, you pay a City income tax.

Taxes is probably the biggest differential between Orlando and New York both locally and at the State Level. I live in Manhattan and work in New Jersey so I have to pay New Jersey, New York State, New York City and the Federal Government. Fortunately, It doesn't destroy my lifestyle, but I can no longer do my taxes on TurboTax! I have to hire a CPA. Regarding taxes levied by the City of New York. They get you on less than $90. When I first graduated from college I was sub $40K and they still got me. On the flip side to the taxation subject here, we do have an amazing amenity base funded by the taxes: World Famous Parks, Mass Transit, World Class Museums and Theatres many of which are funded through tax dollars. I often wonder if Florida and other Sun Belt cities would benefit if taxes were higher to provide better social safety nets to impoverished people. Despite the economic recession, homlessness in the city is at an all time low because people are being tracked down, housed, and provided either the mental rehabilitation/job training/social services necessary. So, while it does cost more. There is a tangible benefit.

Taxes is probably the biggest differential between Orlando and New York both locally and at the State Level. I live in Manhattan and work in New Jersey so I have to pay New Jersey, New York State, New York City and the Federal Government. Fortunately, It doesn't destroy my lifestyle, but I can no longer do my taxes on TurboTax! I have to hire a CPA. Regarding taxes levied by the City of New York. They get you on less than $90. When I first graduated from college I was sub $40K and they still got me. On the flip side to the taxation subject here, we do have an amazing amenity base funded by the taxes: World Famous Parks, Mass Transit, World Class Museums and Theatres many of which are funded through tax dollars. I often wonder if Florida and other Sun Belt cities would benefit if taxes were higher to provide better social safety nets to impoverished people. Despite the economic recession, homlessness in the city is at an all time low because people are being tracked down, housed, and provided either the mental rehabilitation/job training/social services necessary. So, while it does cost more. There is a tangible benefit.

Have you seen the latest poll from rasmussen poll that says %30 of people living in New York city want to move out because the taxes are to high?

I think New York State came in 49th in states listed by Economic Freedoms. I think New Jearsy was number one and California was 3rd.

Taxes have there place but New York is out of control. Especially when %40 of the population reportedly does not pay any income taxes.

We have been getting into politics a bit, but believe the topic to be relevant to the UrbanPlanet forum as to discuss theories on getting economic growth which in turn promotes Urban development. The great thing about the United States is that we still somewhat a Federalism type of govt (until 10th amendment is totally reversed) where state and local govt's have autonomy to enact their own policies to which citizens can migrate to in order to achieve life, liberty and pursuit of happiness (sorry to offend anyone with the Constitutional reference).

Therefore, let's take a look at what has worked and not worked. The states that are suffering this economic downturn the worst are the high tax, spend, and regulated states (NY, CA, MI, NJ). Eventually, those who make up the tax base (higher earners) will say enough and seek out a location which allows them most liberty, or stay in their current locaiton and just work less. With low taxes (minus our high property taxes), FL is in a strong position to attract those high earners (and highly taxed) from such states. TX is a state that has seen 80% of the country's 2008 job growth and budget is even in a surplus (call it bizaro California and their 10% sales and 10% state income tax, ouch) because of such low taxes. It's no coincidence Tiger Woods calls Orlando home rather than his home state of California.

Therefore, the best way to continue Florida's and Orlando's economic growth is to reduce taxes to incitivies those who will create jobs to live and do business here. As much emphathy we may have for the poor, not many of us have received a job from a poor person, nor do they have much spending power to grow our businesses. It may be thought that lefitst policies are better for the poor, but look at the big cities with the highest rates of poverty (Detriot, Cleveland, Buffalo, El Paso, Memphis, Miami, Newark, Phily, Cinci). They have all had Democrats with high rate of tax and spend policies for decades which has not solved any poverty problem (some may say even increased it). Keeping our house in order with low taxes can hope to offset the high tax\spend policies we are now seeing at the Federal level (a view unfortanatly shared by our new congressman).

Coming home from the theatre last friday night I noticed the Trax Scooter Shoppe at 127 N Magnolia Ave. They had a cute set up at night with some tables set up among the scooters as well as an electric guitar player in the middle of Magnolia cranking out some tunes. I don't know if this was a grand opening or an ongoing weekend thing, anyway it was a neat idea.

• 3 weeks later...

I took a different route to Panera on Sunday and I passed by 101 Eola. There was a sign in one of the windows that the Mexican restaurant, Worm, would be opening in August 2009. Can anyone validate this.

I would love a Mexican place I could walk to.

I took a different route to Panera on Sunday and I passed by 101 Eola. There was a sign in one of the windows that the Mexican restaurant, Worm, would be opening in August 2009. Can anyone validate this.

It was in the paper last week that it was opening is 7-8 weeks

Tijuana Flats is only 2 blocks Northeast.

Archived