Sparkle City Eateries

Spartan

its good, but not worth the money in my opinion... gotta love sun king

Sun King? you gotta be kidding me :rofl:

all of those Buffet places taste the same.. gimme somthing exciting! I mean, I go there myself on occasion, but it's not worth mentioning.

I hear Firehouse is pretty good. I have been meaning ot go to the one here in Clemson, but I have yet to go.

I am a big fan of Uncle Poon's for Chinese.

That whole SUmmit Pointe things confuses me. They claimed that it was going to be a great thing, but development has been insanely slow. Its been at least a year since the new theater opened, and we have only seen a handfull of reastaurants open in that strip nearer to Westgate, and City Range. Thats it.

I have heard that Marble Slab still will open in that site if they can ever get it going. I still think it should go downtown though. Anyone know how the one in Hillcrest is doing?

I also think that as those businesses/ restaurants locate there, they will annex into the city simply so they can sell alcohol on Sundays- just like City Range did. Perhaps that is what they are waiting on? I have no idea.

As for annex that area... I know for fact that City Range is in the City because I had a couple of drinks last Sunday evening. Not sure where the line falls.

I've always been a big fan of Uncle Poon's for chinese, and now enjoy the Monsoon Noodle House when I go up to visit the family. Also worth noting is Bangkok for good Thai food. I used to really like Ellis' American Bistro as well as Abby's.

Side note, I used to work at Stefano's during breaks from school. Sad to see it close and hear about Steve. I saw the entire restaurant listed for sale, I think they were planning on auctioning it off if it didn't sell soon. The family just wants to be rid of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just had to add my two cents worth, since I love to eat :D ... and I think I've been to every restaurant in Spartanburg several dozen times!

Best for a nice evening out: The Peddler (awwesome pork tenderloin, and steaks, or course), Gerhard's, City Range, Abby's

Best Chinese: Aloha... and New China has the best lunch buffet (sorry, but Sun King isn't in the same league... cheaper doesn't mean better).

Best Thai: Thai Taste... Monsoon Noodle and Bangkok are both good as well

Best Italian was Stefano's, hands down... I agree that was a real tragedy... had lots of good meals and lots of good memories there. The other Italian restaurants in town are just ok... I'm hoping the new Pranze will help fill the void here.

Best Barbecue: If you're a fan of pulled pork, you have to go with Ron's Hog Pen (highway 9 just north of Business 85). I agree that Mutt's is pretty good, and Southern BBQ is worth the short trip (highway 221 exit off I-85), but IMHO Ron's is the best in town!

Best Spartanburg traditions: Papa's for breakfast, Beacon for the experience and tea, Holden's Ranch for the chicken stew, and Wade's for the comfort food!

Best Burger in town - Ike's

Best Sandwiches/Deli: McAlisters (side note... does anyone remember The Cape? It was beside Corona's on McCravy... awesome sandwiches, opened by some former Flagstar employees... closed several years ago)

Best Mexican: several good ones, but my personal favorite is Monterrey's... try the El Burro de la Roqetta (I'm sure that's spelled wrong, but you'll be able to pick it out)... everyone I know who's tried it won't order anything else)

Best Pizza: Venus Pie

Other: As You Like It and the Rose Cottage both have a reputation for being kind of girly, but the food is always good at both places... the Symposium Cafe is really good for breakfast.

Also, since several people mentioned it... we do have a Firehouse Subs... it's fairly new... up highway 9 (towards Boiling Springs).

• 3 weeks later...

Tried the new Lime Leaf for lunch today. It was quite good. I was worried that it would be a lot like Monsoon Noodle, which I love, but it was a different atmosphere and taste. It is not like the other lunch places where you order and they bring it out to you. It is a 'sit-down" restaurant ordering and paying at the table with nice china etc... It is not huge inside but it has a bar and is nicely decorated. Great addition to downtown.

BBQ has to be Bubbas BBQ and Bash, it rocks! Coming from Texas the Mexican has to be Mexico Lido East or Coronas. Ikes rules for burgers, Holmes for hotdogs. Bangkok for Thai. Beacon just to say you have been, and maybe for the tea. Abbys and Gerhardts are great, but overpriced.

Looks as though Hooters is scounting a location in Sparkle City: Article

They specifically mention a location "near Westgate Mall" which I assume means Summit Point. But they also menitoned sites near stores like Home Depot and Lowes, which I think means potential Eastside in front of Home Depot location or in Dorman Center near FireMountain.

Looks as though Hooters is scounting a location in Sparkle City: Article

They specifically mention a location "near Westgate Mall" which I assume means Summit Point. But they also menitoned sites near stores like Home Depot and Lowes, which I think means potential Eastside in front of Home Depot location or in Dorman Center near FireMountain.

I would bet on the now defunct Gooney Birds on Reidville Road or the old Prime Sirloin on 29 near the new Kohls. I would love, however, to see a real visible Hooters at Summit Point next to the Spartan 16.

Spartan, you are a great moderator for UP and a great Spartanburg booster as well!

I would bet on the now defunct Gooney Birds on Reidville Road or the old Prime Sirloin on 29 near the new Kohls. I would love, however, to see a real visible Hooters at Summit Point next to the Spartan 16.

Spartan, you are a great moderator for UP and a great Spartanburg booster as well!

Those are good locations too. I think the Summit Point offers the most visibility and access, being that its near the interstate, the mall, and the largest movie theater in Spartanburg.

I've heard that Hooters was building in the Best Buy/Lowes Shopping Center.

Where would they build? Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought all of the outparcels in that shopping center were full?

Looks as though the Eastside Longhorn Steak House will be closing. They say it still makes a profit, but its old and small, and it can't handle the new menu items. I hope that Longhorn will decide to reopen further down the street soon. Actually, I dont see why it wouldn't, seeing as how their old location made money for them.

Looks as though the Eastside Longhorn Steak House will be closing. They say it still makes a profit, but its old and small, and it can't handle the new menu items. I hope that Longhorn will decide to reopen further down the street soon. Actually, I dont see why it wouldn't, seeing as how their old location made money for them.

I can't understand why they don't just build a new restaurant and keep the old one running until it opens. Longhorn is always busy and their food and service are excellent.

That's awesome news. I wish they would have placed it over besides the City Range to spur more restaurants over there, but this is still a great location right on Hwy. 29. Can't wait.

Also sounds like Dunkin' Donuts is looking to get back in Spartanburg with two locations.

Edited by hub-city

That's awesome news.

Also sounds like Duncan Donuts is looking to get back in Spartanburg with two locations.

Indeed. its about time!

Also, its Dunkin' Donuts ;)

There has to be something weird going on with the Summit Pointe project. That area is in a great location, but its been well over 2 years since anything new has started there (except City Range)

• 3 weeks later...

Lime Leaf is set to open this week: Article

limeleaf.jpg

Here is an older picture of the bulidings nearby.

MainChurch.jpg

I have had two very good dinners at the Lime Leaf. I highly recomed giving it a try. It is a cozy little resturant, has a nice bar, the service is good, the food great and the prices are very reasonable. Dinner for two with a couple of drinks- $45.00 Let's do all we can to support our resturants Downtown .

I have had two very good dinners at the Lime Leaf. I highly recomed giving it a try. It is a cozy little resturant, has a nice bar, the service is good, the food great and the prices are very reasonable. Dinner for two with a couple of drinks- $45.00 Let's do all we can to support our resturants Downtown .

Thanks Hemlock86 for the review. I'm anxious to try out Lime Leaf.