Sparkle City Eateries

Spartan

We may have discussed this before.  But with all the activity lately, I was wondering: what kinds of restaurants do you think we need or would you like to see downtown?

I think we can all agree that we don't really need any more pizza places.  Personally, I'd love to see the Speakeasy reopen somewhere.  Maybe in the old pink building on Wall Street.  Seems like a cool spot for something like that.

Anyway, what do you think?

We may have discussed this before.  But with all the activity lately, I was wondering: what kinds of restaurants do you think we need or would you like to see downtown?

I think we can all agree that we don't really need any more pizza places.  Personally, I'd love to see the Speakeasy reopen somewhere.  Maybe in the old pink building on Wall Street.  Seems like a cool spot for something like that.

Anyway, what do you think?

I know we have Willy Taco near downtown, but I think a Mexican restaurant could make it at Morgan Square. A Salsa's or Taco Boy would be great. A Tex/Mex like Bronco's should also succeed. The Sandwich Factory site or Abby's space are waiting for something to move in.           

Need to find a restaurant concept for the old Bishop Furniture building on East Main, across from Denny's plaza. That is a HUGE footprint, which means HUGE overhead, so as much as I love the locally owned places, I wonder if a chain wouldn't make more sense to become the anchor for that end of Main. Something like a Sticky Fingers or a Carolina Ale House or even a Chili's? Again, I wouldn't go there much, just like I don't go to Wild Wing much. But that kind of popular chain that has the kind of capital to handle the upfit and overhead and that would generate the kind of significant foot traffic might make the most sense there. 

Thoughts? 

We definitely need a restaurant on East Main to help get some foot traffic up there, which would help the surrounding retailers.  I wouldn't mind a regional chain.  Weren't there some rumors of Carolina Ale House coming here a few years ago?  That's not my scene either, but I know that would be a big draw for a lot of people.

Need to find a restaurant concept for the old Bishop Furniture building on East Main, across from Denny's plaza. That is a HUGE footprint, which means HUGE overhead, so as much as I love the locally owned places, I wonder if a chain wouldn't make more sense to become the anchor for that end of Main. Something like a Sticky Fingers or a Carolina Ale House or even a Chili's? Again, I wouldn't go there much, just like I don't go to Wild Wing much. But that kind of popular chain that has the kind of capital to handle the upfit and overhead and that would generate the kind of significant foot traffic might make the most sense there. 

Thoughts? 

I think a willy taco style tex-mex place would do extremely well in downtown. Those restaurants are incredibly popular right now anyway, so that seems like a no-brainer.

I think a regional chain would be a nice boost. Something like CAH would be my preference. Sticky Fingers isn't as good or unique as it used to be, so I don't see that as a win (though it would probably be popular since there isn't one in Spartanburg). 

• 2 weeks later...

Dottie's Toffee opened their new location on Main Street on Thursday.  It's a really nice place.  They've got an observation area in the back where you can watch the toffee being made.  There's a group/party room in the middle.  And the front has the ice cream and containers of toffee for sale, with limited seating (most seating is outside).

While toffee is their main thing, having an ice cream shop downtown is awesome!  It's going to be super popular in warm weather (especially during Music on Main, Jazz on the Square, etc).  They were already seeing brisk business on a pleasant Friday evening.

• 2 months later...

Denny's test kitchen & diner on the ground floor of their corporate HQ downtown will open to the public in a few weeks! (H-J article)  It will be called "The Den."  They have several of them around the country, but only on college campuses and military bases.  It will seat 90 people and serve a non-traditional menu (only two of Denny's classic dishes are on the menu).

I'm not a huge Denny's fan, but I'm super excited about this!  I like that it's a unique concept, different from most Denny's.  And I'm SO glad that they are FINALLY opening a restaurant downtown (seems obvious for a restaurant HQ) and activating the ground floor of their building.  I hope this, combined with the upcoming streetscaping project, will spur more activity and businesses (like more restaurants!) on East Main.

• Like 1

Denny's test kitchen & diner on the ground floor of their corporate HQ downtown will open to the public in a few weeks! (H-J article)  It will be called "The Den."  They have several of them around the country, but only on college campuses and military bases.  It will seat 90 people and serve a non-traditional menu (only two of Denny's classic dishes are on the menu).

I'm not a huge Denny's fan, but I'm super excited about this!  I like that it's a unique concept, different from most Denny's.  And I'm SO glad that they are FINALLY opening a restaurant downtown (seems obvious for a restaurant HQ) and activating the ground floor of their building.  I hope this, combined with the upcoming streetscaping project, will spur more activity and businesses (like more restaurants!) on East Main.

Downtown diners are nothing new, even in Spartanburg!  Papas, The Skillet, and Simple Simon (am I missing one?) are usually busy.  I don't see why "The Den" won't work even with a limited menu.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So, word on the street is that the opening of Hub City Tap House (old Spartan Photo bldg) will be delayed because First Baptist has filed a protest against them.  Presumably because they will be selling alcohol, and it's relatively close to the church.  This is absolutely ridiculous.  I don't think they have any legitimate legal argument, they're just wasting this business's time and money.  I hope this is resolved quickly.  First Baptist's action here also worries me, because it means they would likely make getting any decent restaurant or bar up on East Main difficult as well.  Anyway, screw First Baptist.

• Like 1

Ugh. That's stupid. I can literally walk across the street from my church here in Charlotte and get a beer if I want, and it has not adversely affected the church one bit. I hope the tap house wins this one, because it will help set a new precedent for East Main.

• Like 2

I think its stupid on the part of the tap house to get this far along without

having their license in hand. I don't know if the rumor is true anyway. In the

past First Baptist has been offered several buildings on E Main across from

Denny's and they have refused, with an opinion that businesses or restaurants

should go there.

Update on this: First Baptist has apparently withdrawn their protest.  I've been following a very long FB thread about this, and know that many people e-mailed FBC to express their displeasure.  Glad to see that reason prevailed.

Edit: Here's a Herald-Journal article about this episode.

Edited by westsider28

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I always wanted to check out Refuel but never got down there. 

I am surprised they did not close sooner. Have been there a couple of times. Was never impressed. The last time the owner was on her computer and did not say a word when we left. The time before the server was clueless about wine. Although, a cool place for a new tenant.