Sparkle City Eateries

Spartan

• 2 months later...

• 2 weeks later...

A creperie is coming to the old Sandwich Factory space!  It will be called Chez Madeleine and should open in early March.  Their hours will be from 7:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Friday and 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Saturday.

I'm excited about this because they will serve breakfast.  I think that option is sorely needed downtown.  I was in DT Greenville last Saturday, and there were many breakfast options and they were packed.  I love the food at Mon Amie (a similar concept), but it's such a long drive from the westside.  I hope this place will be of similar quality.

Edited by westsider28
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

This is a sort-of eatery: the owners of The Local Hiker will be opening an ice cream parlor in the Bijou building (147 E Main).  Hub City Scoops will be a 37-seat store featuring 28 flavors of "a premium ice cream brand yet to be named that is currently not sold in South Carolina."  In addition to ice cream, they also plan to have a hot cookie dessert, a range of toppings, malts and milkshakes and a root beer float.   It's projected to open in mid-June.

Of course, Dottie's Toffee already has ice cream down on West Main, but this is more of a full-blown ice cream parlor.  I still think we need a restaurant up on East Main to really activate that block, but this should help by being somewhat of a destination spot.

(BTW, The Crepe Factory is fantastic. Very tasty crepes.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, westsider28 said:

This is a sort-of eatery: the owners of The Local Hiker will be opening an ice cream parlor in the Bijou building (147 E Main).  Hub City Scoops will be a 37-seat store featuring 28 flavors of "a premium ice cream brand yet to be named that is currently not sold in South Carolina."  In addition to ice cream, they also plan to have a hot cookie dessert, a range of toppings, malts and milkshakes and a root beer float.   It's projected to open in mid-June.

Of course, Dottie's Toffee already has ice cream down on West Main, but this is more of a full-blown ice cream parlor.  I still think we need a restaurant up on East Main to really activate that block, but this should help by being somewhat of a destination spot.

(BTW, The Crepe Factory is fantastic. Very tasty crepes.)

I love Dottie's but will give Hub City Scoops a try.   That section of Main Street doesn't have the "action" that West Main has but maybe that's going to change.  

• 2 weeks later...

A Mexican restaurant called Mezcal is coming to the Lundy (stone) building on Morgan Square!  Restaurateurs Janet Tamayo and her husband Isloro have leased the space to bring "a whole new version of a Mexican restaurant".  They anticipate opening in December.

The upper floors of the building will hold four two-bedroom, two-bathroom apartments. There will also be a two-story, one-bedroom, one-and-a-half-bathroom townhouse in the pink building facing Wall Street.

This is awesome!

• Like 3

@roads-scholar I'm also surprised that it and the other building bracketing Wall Street remain empty. All I know is what I read here that a few earlier proposals didn't pan out. Maybe someone else knows more.

And now we have another Mexican restaurant coming downtown, too!  Nacho Taco will be opening in the old Refuel Wine spot on Spring/Magnolia under Olive and Then Some in late June.  Apparently they've had a temporary location open on Dunbar for a few weeks.  I had no idea.  When you put these 2 with Papi's Tacos inside the Growler Haus, we suddenly have downtown Mexican restaurants out the wazoo!

• 2 weeks later...

Mother's Restaurant on the east side in the old Little D's building put out a help wanted sign over the weekend. This never got posted but a Gerhard's alum will be the one opening it with 2 business partners. I looked in the front glass and there was a Liverpool flag hanging inside (always a good sign:)). This will give you 3 pretty cool restaurants (Dudley's & Fratello's included) within about 50 yards of each other and the new tap house on the east side still to come.

http://www.goupstate.com/article/20160222/ARTICLES/160229901

Those of us in Hillbrook and Fernwood are starting to get some serious options to downtown (for the record I love downtown!).

Edited by Sparkleman
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like a new eatery is coming to East Main! Downtown Deli & Donuts will apparently be opening pretty soon in the Bijou building (where Hub City Scoops is). My friend "liked" their Facebook page, which is how I found out about it.  Though a City podcast mentioned a breakfast/lunch spot coming soon, so this must've been what they were talking about.  Anyway, it's great to have a place to eat further up on this block!

Downtown Deli & Donuts will open Monday. Menu items will include breakfast sandwiches, quiche, handmade sausage, grits, biscuits and gravy skillets, salads, sandwiches and doughnuts of all kinds.  H-J article  UBJ article

I also saw a notice of application in the paper for a beer/wine/liquor permit at 307 West Main (former Friends & Co, above Cohen's).  The application is by "Palmetto Bar & Lounge, LLC dba Palmetto Grill".  I hope they do better than the previous restaurant here.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife tried to go to Downtown Deli & Doughnuts on Friday but it was too packed to consider waiting. One thing that really turned us off was 7 tables waiting for food, 1 table eating, and 10 folks in line. If you don't have more than an hour for lunch, don't go here no matter how good it is until they figure this out.

Instead we went over to Nacho Taco. It too was crowded, but there was a table available. The waiter was very attentive but not bothersome. The food was very good. It had a different taste to it than Willy Taco as it tasted like street food or festival food. We will be back very soon and consider this a great addition to downtown.

7 minutes ago, Sparkleman said:

My wife tried to go to Downtown Deli & Doughnuts on Friday but it was too packed to consider waiting. One thing that really turned us off was 7 tables waiting for food, 1 table eating, and 10 folks in line. If you don't have more than an hour for lunch, don't go here no matter how good it is until they figure this out.

Instead we went over to Nacho Taco. It too was crowded, but there was a table available. The waiter was very attentive but not bothersome. The food was very good. It had a different taste to it than Willy Taco as it tasted like street food or festival food. We will be back very soon and consider this a great addition to downtown.

Well, the good news is that both new places are busy - a positive sign. 

Downtown Deli & Doughnuts is owned by the same folks who run Hub City Scoops and the hiking store down the street.  Both are extremely well run and I'm sure they will correct any shortcomings. 

25 minutes ago, roads-scholar said:

Well, the good news is that both new places are busy - a positive sign. 

Downtown Deli & Doughnuts is owned by the same folks who run Hub City Scoops and the hiking store down the street.  Both are extremely well run and I'm sure they will correct any shortcomings. 

It is my understanding that the Deli's main owner is Elizabeth Evans. She is not connected with the Local Hiker or Scoops. But she has a lot of experience and owned Elizabeth's downtown and across from Converse College a few years ago.      

• 3 weeks later...

From Spartanburg  H-J: 

A Greer-based Mexican eatery is bringing its flaming fajitas and fresh guacamole to the east side of Spartanburg.

California Style Guacamole Mexican Grill plans to open its first Spartanburg restaurant at 1071 Fernwood Glendale Road. The restaurant's owners will lease the 7,600-square-foot building, which was formerly occupied by the Four Seasons Restaurant and later Roots Deep South Eats.

Pokerrito, which will serve Hawaiian/Japanese cuisine (poke - kind of like sushi), is coming to 119 N Church Street (recently renovated storefront next to Growler Haus, corner of Dunbar).  It will be the first poke restaurant in SC.  It should open late this year or early next year.  The co-owner is involved with Lime Leaf, and her family owns Monsoon Noodle House, so this should definitely be a quality establishment.  It's exciting to get something unique & different like this.