Sparkle City Eateries

Spartan

There was a report on Channel 7 tonight on the situation with Hub City Chophouse, Outwest Grill, and Pranza. The owner appears to have skipped town with all of the monet from these three restaurants. The employees haven't been payed and rent is still owed.

The onwer of the Hub City location has filed for eviction as the owner owes $14,000 in rent.

Pranza, on East Main, is still open because it had a business partner, but all of the money was taken from there. The partner said that he is scraping by.... make sure you support that guy and Pranza restaurant.

I've been meaning to add this for awhile, but I'm just getting around to it.

Finally ate at the Spartanburg institution that is Ike's. It's one of those rare places that has placed upon it lofty expectations and lives up to it. I great hole-in-the-wall with great food. The fresh cut fries are worth driving well out of the way for.

Ike's is one of the traditions that we don't mention as much here, but its a great place too!

The papers this week say that Pranza is closing too, due to the owner splitting town and not paying taxes (the same guy that owned Hub City Grille and Outwest Steakhouse).

The good news is that there are now two fantastic locations available for restaurants in Spartanburg who do want to pay taxes. I'm anxious to know what will fill their places.

the Herald Journal is reporting that Symposium Cafe on hwy.29 has now closed. I saw this one coming. The food was not that great and prices were high. I also thought the name was not a good fit with their menu items. Oh well, at least they paid their employees.

They should have located downtown, near Hub-Bub.

Jason's Deli is opening its first Spartanburg location in front of the old Home Depot. This was the site of the former Rock-ola Cafe and one other who's name escapes me. This is yet another example of the excellent job the city is doing of filling those vacant commercial buildings.

This place sounds like it might be good, and they ahve free ice cream. Its a smaller chain, but one that seems to be successful. This quote really struck me: "When we opened in Greenville (across from Haywood Mall) we were almost alone in a vacant shopping center. Now it's full."

So since they are in the old Home Depot, maybe that shopping center will see some new life.

The last week or so has seen four Spartanburg restaurants close: Pranza's, Outwest, Hub City Grill, and Symposium. Bad management, and not lack of patronage, was the cause of all four closing in my opinion. Symposium was always busy when I was there. I never dined at the others.

Driving around town Saturday I did notice that the restaurant scene in Spartanburg will recover from these closings. On the westside there's Olive Garden (W.O. Ezell) nearing completion, Brusters (John B. White, Sr.) almost open, Hooters (Blackstock Road) opening soon, Jason's Deli (W.O. Ezell) opening this week, and a rumored Chili's on Blackstock next to Dorman Center.

In Boiling Springs the Copper River Grill and Pizza Inn are nearing completion on Highway 9.

If anyone's heard of the Chili's rumor please let us know.

3/4 of those restaurants closed because of one guy's bad management.

Symposium always seemed to have a crowd, but I still think they had a bad location. That part of Gville Highway just isn't very condusive to subruban box development.

Reidville Rd, however, is much different. Thats why I think you are seeing the reversal of commercial sprawl back to Blackstock- it connects to Ezell/Gville Hwy as well as Reidville Rd... it gives you access to the north/Arcadia area, and the south/Roebuck area, as well as I-26 (two exits). I think that we will see a gradual shift over to Reidville Rd afer Blackstock emerges as the place to be for commercial retail in Spartanburg.

I hadn't heard of that Chilis! Thats very exciting. I can't believe that they don't have an operation here yet. We need one in Hillcrest too.

Symposium always seemed to have a crowd, but I still think they had a bad location. That part of Gville Highway just isn't very condusive to subruban box development.

Reidville Rd, however, is much different. Thats why I think you are seeing the reversal of commercial sprawl back to Blackstock- it connects to Ezell/Gville Hwy as well as Reidville Rd... it gives you access to the north/Arcadia area, and the south/Roebuck area, as well as I-26 (two exits). I think that we will see a gradual shift over to Reidville Rd afer Blackstock emerges as the place to be for commercial retail in Spartanburg.

I hadn't heard of that Chilis! Thats very exciting. I can't believe that they don't have an operation here yet. We need one in Hillcrest too.

I wouldn't say Symposium's location killed them... Shogun and I-Hop both are there and have great business.

If you are missing Longhorn Steakhouse as I am, then please send them a comment letting them know! http://www.longhornsteakhouse.com/Contact/main.asp. The amount of comments do impact the priority of where/when Longhorn's will be built! So together, let's make Spartanburg one of their high priority locaitons!

Jimmy John's Gourmet Sandwiches and Bruegger's Bagels are opening up in the North Pine area. This is great news for that part of town, which has been picking up a lot of momentum since the Food Lion was announced. Spartanburg will be the second city in SC to have a Bruegger's.

Discuss this in the North Pine thread.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Never heard of it, but thats a great place for a Steak House. Is this an upscale thing or midrange or low end? I hope that they do something unique with the interior. The Hub City Grill's design felt a little awkward.

Justin's Steakhouse is definitely high quality. That will be a tremendous addition to Morgan Square. :thumbsup:

They started in Taylors, and have recently really expanded into the rest of the Upstate.