Sparkle City Eateries

Spartan

Justin's Steakhouse is definitely high quality. That will be a tremendous addition to Morgan Square. :thumbsup:

They started in Taylors, and have recently really expanded into the rest of the Upstate.

Skyliner, while I am in total agreement with your assessment of Justin's Steakhouse as "high quality," I beg to differ with you as to the location of the original . Folks who live in the Lake Forest area will take exception with you saying they are "Taylors". :lol: They may be just east of the Greenville city limits, but Rushmore Drive is still considered Greenville.

Justin's will indeed be a great upscale dining addition to Spartanburg. The food and service is outstanding at the Greer (Trade Street) and Greenville (Rushmore) locations. (I haven't been to the Simpsonville location.) However, it is rather pricey.

FYI:

http://www.justinssteakhouse.com/home.htm

Edited by crescentmoon

Ok, I found that article on Justin's Steakhouse. It sounds like they are doing some quality renovations. They are taking out those marble floors and recycling them to use elsewhere in the restaurant. This is great news. This building is an old bank, and in all honesty it always felt like an old bank. Even when Ellis's Bistro was there, you never lost that feeling. I think that this should help it feel more like a restaurant and less like a bank. Atmosphere is crucial in restaurants, and the last ones didn't have it quite right.

What with people not paying their taxes? Apparantly the Dairy Queen at Dorman Center closed up a few months ago because it didn't pay its hospitality taxes. The article also said that the other two Upstate locations were closed too. At least this one isn't just a Spartanburg thing. :ph34r:

The restaurants are being taken over by a owner, and they are planning on reopening Spartanburg's location first, with the others following shortly.

DQ to Reopen

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My wife and I ate at Justin's Steakhouse on Morgan Square this past weekend and it was great. It was also nice to see the ability to eat outside on white linens and glassware. It is a great addition to the other great restaurants downtown.

Edited by hub-city

• 2 weeks later...

The Four Seasons Steakhouse is coming to the Hillcrest area. Its going to be in the former Pizza Inn site. It will be owned by one of the guys who owned the previous Four Seasons on Pine Street that closed in 1990 (its crazy to think that was 17 years ago!). This is great news for the Eastside, which has been without a good steakhouse since Longhorn left last year.

Link

• 3 weeks later...

Downtown is getting yet another new upscale restaurant!! Rock Water Tavern will be in the old Spice of Life location. It will be right off of St. John and near the CCC. While off the road a little, the sign is already there and it has a nice courtyard and I think the owner is putting a water feature in there for outdoor diners.

LINK

This is good news, and while its in a weird spot now, it will be great in the grand scheme of things. Once performances start happening at CCC and if the Carolina theater in the Montgomery tower actually does what rumors say it will, then this will be a prime pre or post dining establishment.

Rock Water Tavern

Ok, this restaurant is in a WEIRD spot. But I'm optimisic, because Woodrow Street has a feel that is not unlike Ezell Street. Woodrow used to parallel a railroad track, so this area is naturally industrial in feel.

Here is a shot down Ezell St (the lower part):

SPA_ezellst01.jpg

Here are a couple shots down Woodrow St. This is urban grit in its finest.

rwt_01.jpg

rwt_02.jpg

Here are a few shots of the restaurant and the parking lot. The lot itself (which could serve other places, not just RWT is in that weird sunken down area. There used to be a railroad that ran through there and connected to the old rail line that is now the Rail Trail. This area was a loading dock for various things.

rwt_04.jpg

rwt_03.jpg

-Parking Area-

rwt_08.jpg

rwt_07.jpg

rwt_09.jpg

rwt_06.jpg

rwt_05.jpg

In what could be a big blow to downtown, Abby's Grill is closing. The owners say their children are getting older and they want to spend more time with them, but I also seem to remember that their 10 year tax incentives for restoring the building were up earlier this year or last year.

While I didn't frequent the restaurant often, it was a big part in bringing people downtown when there was nothing else. I hate to see it go, but hopefully others will fill in the gap.

There is just a blurb on the HJ online but look for the complete story tomorrow.