Sparkle City Eateries

Spartan

In what could be a big blow to downtown, Abby's Grill is closing. The owners say their children are getting older and they want to spend more time with them, but I also seem to remember that their 10 year tax incentives for restoring the building were up earlier this year or last year.

While I didn't frequent the restaurant often, it was a big part in bringing people downtown when there was nothing else. I hate to see it go, but hopefully others will fill in the gap.

There is just a blurb on the HJ online but look for the complete story tomorrow.

Ouch! I hate to see Abby's go. They've been a mainstay downtown and a good fit on Morgan Square. Fortunately, a lot of people are looking for space downtown and Abby's is in a prime spot.

This does suck. I ate there about 2 or 3 time per year and it was always a great atmosphere and the food was wonderful. I hate to hear its closing. It seems as Spartanburg gets a few good things happening and then some things fall apart. We need to get to a point where a critical mass is achieved and then if something closes its not such a big hit to downtown.

^Agreed. That critical mass is key.

The article today doesn't highlight anything new. The owner hopes that someone will come along any buy Abbey's and keep it going, but it didn't sound as though there were any takers on it at this point. The optimist in me hopes that someone will step forward.

Are there any good 'meat-and-three' restaurants in town, aside from Wade's? It is always so crowded at lunch time.

Spartanburg Regional Hospital Cafeteria, Mary Black Hospital Cafeteria, Peach Blossom and The Clock at Boiling Springs are a few right off the top of my head.

Are there any good 'meat-and-three' restaurants in town, aside from Wade's? It is always so crowded at lunch time.

The Peach Blossom Diner is a good one. Mullinax's Restaurant on South Pine (waay out near Bethesda Rd just past the Kohler plant) is another good one. Holden's Ranch on 295 is another. Seems like there is one in North Spartanburg or Inman, but I can't think of what its called. Maybe its on New Cut Rd. Does anyone else know? You might also try The Junction. The Clock is a good option, but if you're not in Boiling Springs, Pacolet, or Duncan they can be annoying to get to. In all honesty though, none of these places can hold a candle to Wades :) I don't know about the other ones at the hospitals. I don't eat at hospitals unless I have to.

I hear Groucho's Deli might be looking at the Kiddie Corner building on Main St or Sandella's..... either would be awesome for downtown. The Kiddie Corner would be better to draw foot traffic at that corner of Main....

You heard it here first folks :)

Groucho's Deli is opening its first Upstate location in Spartanburg in the Palmetto Building in what used to be Sandella's. The article also implies that the guy who is opening the restaurant is required to open a second one, in the next 18 months, most likely in Greenville. This is great news for Morgan Square which has had TWO hits in the past month. This is a sure-fire success given the number of USC grads there are in Spartanburg.

Aritcle

I miss WOODWARDS Cafe. That was for real homecooking in cast iron skillets. I wish somehow they could come back. There are still some old houses in the area!! Fried chicken mmmmmmmmmmm

Yeah that was a good one. I think the St John Street Extentsion project really did them in. It was a pain to get there. It was the best place in town to get a coronary, thats for sure ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

^I haven't eaten there, but I hear good things about it.

I got to eat at Groucho's this weekend. Its as good as the real thing in Five Points. I was slightly disappointed that they gave equal share of their wall space to USC, Clemson, Wofford, and Spartan High. The other ones I've been too are very biased towards Carolina. Oh well :)

Grouchos3.jpg

Grouchos2.jpg

Grouchos_1.jpg

My only problem is that there is not any outdoor seating.

Picked up some food for myself and my wife last night. There actually was some outdoor seating, and a city police officer was eating his sandwich out there.

Inside looked to be about 3 tables occupied at 8PM, all apparently local college students. While I was waiting on my food, about 5 girls were paying at the register. As I walked back to my car, they appeared to be walking back in the direction of Converse. I think it would really be helpful to the downtown area to get that kind of foot traffic established. I know one of the things that I'm always impressed with when driving through Greenville is the amount of people on the streets downtown. It makes me think "Hey, it'd be nice to just park somewhere, walk around, and people watch."

As for the food, it was very good and different than the other sandwich places in town. The staff seemed nice, and they have a 50" or 60" plasma TV inside hanging from the wall.

I was glad to see the Clemson stuff on the walls :whistling: , and they had some very nice framed pictures of Morgan Square from the 50's and 60's.

Sure hope this place succeeds. Seems like a very nice addition to downtown.

Speaking to the above point, I went downtown with some friends on Wednesday night and it was packed. I'm told that there was a line to get in to Delaney's, which is unheard of in Spartanburg. Part of it may have to to with the new management which has pumped some money into Delaney's to fix up the front and interior, but I think that as people return home for the holidays, downtown is seen as the place to go. Now all we need are some more options...