USC Projects & Construction (excluding Innovista)

Spartan

I just feel, the BA building should have gone to other schools, such as Journalism and HSRM could have used each side of the this building and finally got out of the basement of the Carolina Coliseum, both of the schools are having a hard time to build their new colleges, Journalism doesn't seem close to building its new building as well as moving into LeCounte, and who knows where HRSM stands as far as its new building is concerned or if they are even still trying to raise funds for it.

I agree Firefox. The BA building, with a little work, could definitely be made to house other colleges.

I hope USC doesn't start to neglect that side of campus. It's one of the nicest areas along with the horseshoe.

well - apparently the feds are willing to sign a very long-term lease for $100M. Hard to turn that down.

With the Inn at USC and the National Advocacy Center there, and with the upgrade they did in front of the humanities administration building, it doesn't look like they have any intention of forgetting that part of campus. The federal agency that agreed to lease the business school building was unnamed, but if a federal agency locates in that building it sounds like a great thing to me.

It just seems a little unnecessary to me. Why can't the feds build somewhere else? Also, what happened to all that money that was supposed to be used to renovate the BA building? Wasn't that like $10 million or something? Darla Moore donated a very large sum of money for it as I recall. I can't remember, but I'm pretty sure I read that in the Gamecock a few years back.

• 4 weeks later...

I certainly don't want to pull anyone away from this forum (which is great by the way), but the following is a great site as it pertains to the USC campus, and includes photos and a forum. The site owner does a great job, so feel free to take a look.

Main site:

USCcampus.com

Forum page:

Forum listing

Thanks Dobboard.....

Excellent web site!

• 2 weeks later...

The State has an article today about the massive number of projects going on around the USC campus, with long term projects totaling nearly $900 million. Here's a summary list- excluding the Innovista projects that make up a large chunk of that price tag.

Under Construction:

• SC Honors College - $47 million residence hall
  • New Baseball Stadium (7,944 seats) - $35.6 million
  • Athletic Academic Enrichment Center - $13.5 million - will replace the Roost.
  • USC Marching Band Hall and Dance Studio - $9.8 million
  • Thomas Cooper Library Special Collections Addition - $18 million

Planned/Funded Renovations:

• LeConte College - $20 million
  • Petigru College - $14 million
  • Health Sciences Building - $18 million
  • Patterson Hall - $32 million

• Preston College
  • McClintock College
  • Wade Hampton College
  • Cliff Apartments
  • Carolina Gardens
    TOTAL - $76 million

Planned/Unfunded Projects:

• Moore School of Business
  • USC School of Law
  • New Health Center

Long Term Projects

• Demolition of the old Benson School - $4.5 million
  • Renovation of Blatt PE Center - $10 million to $37 million
  • Renovation of the Jones Physical Science Center - $80 million
  • Renovation of Barnwell Hall
  • Renovation of Hamilton Hall
  • Demolition of the Byrnes Center
  • Construction of a 200,000 sq ft 'signature building' on this site - $100 million

USC Construction Article

List of USC Construction Project details

I really had no idea that so much was in the pipeline construction-wise for USC. That's definitely an impressive list.

The question is, of all of the projects on the list, which ones are really going to happen (i.e., not be on hold indefinitely or significantly stalled)? This week's edition of the Free Times has as its cover story the issues surrounding the delay in construction of the new law school. Here's the jist of things:

...partly because of a decline in giving following 9/11 and mostly because of an embarrassing revolving door to the dean

Thats great. I just wish they could get that extra 2,000 to bump it up to 90. Oh well... they will still sell out every game :)

With standing room only for the big games, we'll be packing in about 94,000. Currently the stadium seats 80,200, but for the UF Gameday Game (or should I reference Hodge's offical "Gameday Day") and the Clemson game of '01, the attendance was appx. 86,000. We can really pack'em into the ramps.

I hope they include some sort of landscaping (looks like there is some in the rendering). Williams-Brice is missing a nice entryway/plaza, its just a stone stadium stuck on asphalt, but that will really change with the glass front shown in that picture and if there is some trees and the like.

From that section, the yellow area in there looks to have a terrible view. It also looks to roughly have the same slope as the opposite side, which apparently they've never sat in because you can't see the end zone... hopefully they'll get that stuff worked out. It'd suck to spend that much money on such a large addition and then have unhappy fans and donors...

I think that rendering is at least a year and a half old. I've heard that it has change some, but I don't know to what extend. Hyman has said that he hopes to include some sort of atrium feature for aesthetics and to help with fan traffic.

I (and I think the Athletic Dept) hope that the parking/asphalt jungle on the stadium site can be made into green space. But I know some high $$$ donors that will be very unhappy if that happens.

Edited by GamecockEngineer

I think that rendering is at least a year and a half old. I've heard that it has change some, but I don't know to what extend. Hyman has said that he hopes to include some sort of atrium feature for aesthetics and to help with fan traffic.

I (and I think the Athletic Dept) hope that the parking/asphalt jungle on the stadium site can be made into green space. But I know some high $$$ donors that will be very unhappy if that happens.

They would be unhappy, but it would certainly help the aesthetics of the area around the stadium.