±

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jersey City Skyline

28 posts in this topic

Posted

The Jersey City skyline is pretty impressive. Of course it is still dwarfed by the Manhattan skyline across the Hudson.

This is the view from Manhattan:

jcskyline.jpg

This is the view from Hoboken:

jcskyline2.jpg

To think this has all been built up in the last 20 years. Not too shabby.

Posted

jcskyline.jpg

New Yorker's skyline bargain

New Jersey's gold coast

Posted

It's getting bigger and badder every day!

Posted

The view from Hoboken is especially impressive. I really think JC has nowere to go but up up up! :)

Posted

If you look at the photos from WindowsLiveLocal you can see the GS Tower still under construction! The shots on WLL are HUGE. I had to shrink this one quite a bit.

122243385.jpg

Posted

Wow, I didn't know that Jersey City's skyline was so nice. I'd love to see some pictures downtown, does anyone have any?

Posted

Wow, Jersey City is definiltly a sight. Ive been to New York City and Hoboken and was very impressed. Guess I need to make my way over to Jersey City

Posted

Wow, Jersey City is definiltly a sight. Ive been to New York City and Hoboken and was very impressed. Guess I need to make my way over to Jersey City

IMO, Jersey City (at least the waterfront area) is a big place to store people and jobs in big buildings. Hoboken is much more fun. Nevermind that I'm eyeing a couple of JC neighborhoods for when I move in summer. Cost is the big factor, though.

Posted

Just Say Jersey. Holy housing stock! Jersey City is a-boom with new homes [NYPost]

re05182006062.jpg

TRUMP'S HIGHER-ED: Who's the tallest in the land? You guessed it.

Posted

Damn, I woulda moved there too if I had gotten a job in NYC. Too bad. Cost of living isn't bad at all either, I found a bunch of 1BR's near PATH stations for $1000/month incl. utilities. Factor in the cheap transportation costs and it aint bad at all...

Posted

Nice pics, enjoyed them!

Posted

That's a pretty large skyline...how many people live in Jersey City?

Posted

That's a pretty large skyline...how many people live in Jersey City?

Posted

+/- 240,000

Posted

It's getting bigger and badder every day!

Posted

Is downtown Jersey City bustling with people, shops, and eateries?

Posted

Interior JC may soon become Hoboken South (or as one of my friends calls it already, Faux-boken)

Posted

Well, I'd rather have that than what some parts of JC are now. Have you been on Ocean Ave and MLK Blvd lately? Say what you will, Hoboken is a nice city. The JC I envision is diverse, but also safe and pleasing to the eye (i.e. not filthy, neglected, and run down).

In the past 15 years, much of the city has cleaned itself up.

Posted

+/- 240,000

Posted

That number is deceptive - the ~240,000 population is in roughly 20 square miles, which is why the downtown is large and compact - if you stretched out Jersey City to more resemble most other American cities it would suddenly jump into the top 20 list. It has a density of over 10,000 per square mile. At any rate, it will be neat to see this area in 30 years or so, may look similar to it's neighbor across the river.

Posted

That's the case with most northeastern cities, though. Cities in the northeast tend to cover small geographic areas, whereas "newer" cities in the South and West tend to have more fluid, expandable boundaries. I once saw someone in a UP South thread brag that Winston-Salem NC had something like 200,000 people in "only" 100-something square miles. I didn't find that very impressive, b/c my entire county is about 120 sq miles and has about 800,000 people.

Posted

I'd rather be in a neighborhood full of working middle-class adults and families (which JC has lots of) than a place where all you hear on the streets at 3 AM is Newark Nickie yelling at people and throwing trash cans in the street b/c some dude at the bar stared at his girl's tits!

Posted

That's the case with most northeastern cities, though. Cities in the northeast tend to cover small geographic areas, whereas "newer" cities in the South and West tend to have more fluid, expandable boundaries. I once saw someone in a UP South thread brag that Winston-Salem NC had something like 200,000 people in "only" 100-something square miles. I didn't find that very impressive, b/c my entire county is about 120 sq miles and has about 800,000 people.

Posted

^You beat me to posting it. I typically think of Newark when I think of NJ suburbs of NY, but what I read about Jersey City really impressed me. If life ever takes me up that way, I'll have to remember Jersey City.