Pawtucket Dining and Nightlife

Recchia

I had trouble getting to their webpage a couple weeks ago, but when we went we talked to the manager and she was all up on the place. It was a random weekday evening, and the place wasn't packed, but there were a healthy number of people there. I'm looking forward to going back when their deck is done.

Thanks for the info, Cotuit! I've been by a couple of Thursday nights and the place was pretty packed. I really have my fingers crossed that Madhouse makes it! It's such a great asset to Pawtucket! I as well am looking forward to when they have the deck open.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the info, Cotuit! I've been by a couple of Thursday nights and the place was pretty packed. I really have my fingers crossed that Madhouse makes it! It's such a great asset to Pawtucket! I as well am looking forward to when they have the deck open.

I think they should do fine. The food is good, they have ample parking. If people drive to strip malls to eat at TGIFridays and Applebee's, then I see no reason why they would not drive to Pawtucket to have far superior food. They should advertise heavily in Providence Monthly though.

I'm looking forward to going back when their deck is done.

I think that this is potentially one of the keys to success for Madhouse. I can't wait till the deck opens.. I think its gonna be so great to hang out and have a few drinks with friends while watching downtown..

then I can stumble home.. heh

I think they should do fine. The food is good, they have ample parking. If people drive to strip malls to eat at TGIFridays and Applebee's, then I see no reason why they would not drive to Pawtucket to have far superior food. They should advertise heavily in Providence Monthly though.

It would help if people had another reason to go to that spot, like, say, Trader Joe's? :whistling:

I too think the deck will be key. RIer's think of Pawtucket as grimy and low class, but from that deck will be a nice little vista looking at the Slater Mill and City Hall. with Main St. back on the way to improvement, they will just need to get the bus station cleaned up a bit.

As for East Ave, since at least a month has gone by, I hope that the people who bought it closed it while they consult with the previous owners about making actual good food. :angry:

What bus station?

The Pawtucket Intermodal Center at the Visitor's Center (the Bucket's mini Kennedy Plaza).

On another note, it looks like they put in some kind of turn-around or something in front of Madhouse. Anyone else notice this, in the sidewalk? Could they be thinking valet parking?

Could they be thinking valet parking?

Yes, that is exactly what it is. I think they're probably waiting to get the deck open before they start having a valet. When I spoke with the manager (owner?) she said they were having a bit of trouble getting the contractor to have the correct sense of urgency on getting the deck done. I think they were hoping/planning to have it ready by Memorial Day weekend.

Yes, that is exactly what it is. I think they're probably waiting to get the deck open before they start having a valet. When I spoke with the manager (owner?) she said they were having a bit of trouble getting the contractor to have the correct sense of urgency on getting the deck done. I think they were hoping/planning to have it ready by Memorial Day weekend.

I went on Saturday hoping to sit out on the deck, but no go. Place was packed at 8 though. Didn't last too long through the night, but they seem to be doing great.

Don't think they really need the valet, since they have ample parking about 2 feet away, but hey, whatever floats your boat...

Is it that upscale of a place that they would have a "market" for valet? I can't believe I still haven't been, I could walk there!

Random question, does Pawtucket have a mandatory 1am closing time for bars/clubs? It seems they all close at 1 or 12:45...

Don't think they really need the valet, since they have ample parking about 2 feet away, but hey, whatever floats your boat...

Eltrawn, no wudduvalie, but you ain't beena P't'ck't much, have yuh?

2 feet? 2 feet? I swayuh I gotta packa baga walk allaway frunna Apex lot.

Youanyuh decks. Dey shudda nevera close don Rivuh street. " :angry: " :silly:

Just found this list of late night eats from Quahog.org:

Amanda's Kitchen

54 Smithfield Avenue, Pawtucket, (401) 723-7222

Monday-Thusday, 5am-2pm; Friday, 5am-7pm, 11pm-4am; Saturday, 6am-1pp, 11pm-4am; Sunday, 7am-1pm

Shannon's Place

737 Broadway, Pawtucket, (401) 724-0040

Monday-Thursday, 5ma-2pm; Friday and Saturday, 5am-2pm, 11pm-4am; Sunday, 6am-1pm

Silvertop Diner (Currently closed for renovation)

Blake & Middle Streets, Pawtucket, (401) 272-2890

11pm-6am

Anybody been to Amanda's or Shannon's? I've never really heard of them.

Shannon's Place

737 Broadway, Pawtucket, (401) 724-0040

Monday-Thursday, 5ma-2pm; Friday and Saturday, 5am-2pm, 11pm-4am; Sunday, 6am-1pm

Anybody been to Amanda's or Shannon's? I've never really heard of them.

A long time ago. Maybe 6 or 8 years ago I was living on the West side of Providence when I was not on tour (which was most of the time).. I ended up at Shannon's Place after a gig at Lupos. It was really weird, when we walked in the door I could almost hear a record scratch across the surface as everyone turned and looked at us. Locals we were not. Seemed like everyone in there was smoking and had a mullet. Hers and his!

The food was your standard greasy spoon fare.. now that I live in this area I pass the place all the time but never see it open. Does anyone know if they still do business? I could see trying it out again. maybe after a show at KC's tap but I don't think they are open anymore?

A long time ago. Maybe 6 or 8 years ago I was living on the West side of Providence when I was not on tour (which was most of the time).. I ended up at Shannon's Place after a gig at Lupos. It was really weird, when we walked in the door I could almost hear a record scratch across the surface as everyone turned and looked at us. Locals we were not. Seemed like everyone in there was smoking and had a mullet. Hers and his!

The food was your standard greasy spoon fare.. now that I live in this area I pass the place all the time but never see it open. Does anyone know if they still do business? I could see trying it out again. maybe after a show at KC's tap but I don't think they are open anymore?

I've been to Shannon's Place a bunch of times. My boyfriend lives right down the street, so we've stopped by many a weekend morning. You're spot on regarding the clientele--the best Pawtucket has to offer!! Food's ok--nothing to write home about, but cheap, and satisfies a drunken or hungover appetite. I've been there once late night--same deal as morning, really, just quieter. Convenient if you're hanging out at the Celtic.

I also noticed yesterday a new joint in the former Cafe Neva location, on the corner of Central and Newport. It's called Home Plate Cafe, I think, and signage says it's open late night, until 3AM. Has anyone heard anything about this place? Not sure if it's open yet.

ETA: Bloodyocker, did you mean you didn't think KC's was open anymore, or were you asking about Shannon's (which is still open, btw)?

I also noticed yesterday a new joint in the former Cafe Neva location, on the corner of Central and Newport. It's called Home Plate Cafe, I think, and signage says it's open late night, until 3AM. Has anyone heard anything about this place? Not sure if it's open yet.

Wait, near the Tim Horton's that I love so much?

Oh, wait, sorry--that's Newport and Benefit, not Central, so 1 block north of the lovely new Tim Horton's.

Gotcha. I need to venture up that way some more. I always end up between Central and Armistice and nowhere else.

Speaking of this area, has anyone bought stuff at "Spiceland", it's on the corner of Newport and either Cottage or Benefit, can't remember which. It says "all natural foods" or something on its sign, so I was wondering how it was. Right now I've been buying all my meats and fruits/veggies from Boulevard Meats, but this would be easier to walk to.

I just heard that Millers Roast Beef in East Providence is being flattened for a Walgreens?

Damn it! that place rocks! Its like a little hidden gem, always clean etc.

crape!

When did you report this Frankie? There's an EP thread? Where?! :shok:

I hate Walgreens, ok. Everybody else hates Wal Mart on this board, but WG is the crown prince of ugly, unfortunate urban / suburban development, period.

I hate Walgreens, ok. Everybody else hates Wal Mart on this board, but WG is the crown prince of ugly, unfortunate urban / suburban development, period.

I hate Walgreen's too. Their stores looks like crap even compared to other chain pharmacies. And I can't stand that beige Dryvit stuff that they all seem to use.

There have already been meetings/hearings on this project @ city hall. Could be any day now.

I just took my visiting parents to Madhouse Cafe this evening. A wonderful evening. Others have done more detailed reviews, but the room is nice, has a good volume and vibe. The servers couldn't have been more kind and doting.

The menu is great. It reminds me of Twist's menu kicked up a bit in the imagination category. The food quality was excellent as well. We all ordered different types of burgers, and my ground salmon burger wrapped in Philo dough was outstanding, as was my mother's buffalo burger. The flavors seemed a bit milder and "safer" and the presentation seemed a bit simpler than what similar local restaurants (Twist, Blaze, Red Stripe, Bravo) do, but then again, Madhouse is a bit cheaper...

Desert (we shared a fried ice cream) was merely OK. Certainly tasty, but the flakes encircling the ice cream didn't seem very crispy, didn't taste very fried, but the ice cream was already well on its way toward melting. Perhaps they shouldn't drape the dish in caramel after cooking it, as I think it softens the flakes and holds in the heat...

All in all, though, it's a wonderful value, good food, a great room and vibe, and a wonderful and warm presence on the streets of Pawtucket. We'll definitely be heading back, especially paired with Paw Sox games...

- Garris

Archived