NASCAR Plaza at the Hall of Fame

redjeep77

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really hate to be the one to mention this, because I'm usually all kinds of supportive of this type of design. But how many doors are on the ground floor of this tower? I spot one and a parking deck entrance. I guess that since this being tied into a museum, it doesn't really call for there to be a whole lot of retail, I just figured the trend in Charlotte was swaying more towards ground level retail on all major projects.

I really hate to be the one to mention this, because I'm usually all kinds of supportive of this type of design. But how many doors are on the ground floor of this tower? I spot one and a parking deck entrance. I guess that since this being tied into a museum, it doesn't really call for there to be a whole lot of retail, I just figured the trend in Charlotte was swaying more towards ground level retail on all major projects.

I agree with having more retail in the project. Maybe they will do some kind of NASCAR store or something. Some place where they can sell NASCAR trinkets. Just a thought :)

A2

I think they have said from the begining that the retail will be along the back/Stonewall side. At least that spreads the different uses - museum, office, retail around to different sides. There's not much hope of a museum, especially one with this type of architectural design, to have street level retail all around it. A gift shop would've been nice in the tower though.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a correction to make. The city council has not yet approved a deal for the NASCAR tower. Instead back in August they approved a 30 day extention to negotiations...and tonight they approved another 30 day extention. City staff hopes to have an agreement that the city council could approve for the NASCAR office tower by November 6th.

• 2 months later...

City Council is set to approve the ground lease for the NASCAR Tower on Monday. This tower has grown to 425,000 sq ft, about 19 stories tall.

The developer will pay $1 per year for 99 years for the rights to build on the land.

Does that mean exclusive rights, and is there a provision to prevent the developer from sitting on it for some outrageous amount of time?

Does that mean exclusive rights, and is there a provision to prevent the developer from sitting on it for some outrageous amount of time?

Yes, exclusive rights as far as I can tell, and it states:

It is ackowledged that construction of the NASCAR Office Building will coincide with construction of the HOF Parking Garage, New Ballroom, and HOF.

You can read the entire 135 page agreement here.

The media arm of NASCAR will take two floors on the Stonewall side of the Convention Center ball room. That part of the building (not the tower) contains radio/TV studios and other production space. Do you think that it is included in the square footage NASCAR has agreed to?

(BTW, atlrvr...love the new avitar. Shake rules.)

Archived