The Bucket Forum

I'm sure Herb can shed even more light on this subject but here is what I've found.

Pawtucket DOES have a program, Its a 50/50 program meaning that you pay for half and then you are resposible for maintaining the tree.

There is a waiting list as well, we are on it.

If you call public works and talk to Jack Carney he could probably send you literature. He's a good guy.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure Herb can shed even more light on this subject but here is what I've found.

Pawtucket DOES have a program, Its a 50/50 program meaning that you pay for half and then you are resposible for maintaining the tree.

There is a waiting list as well, we are on it.

If you call public works and talk to Jack Carney he could probably send you literature. He's a good guy.

Thanks br, I will check it out!

I Forgot to note this here earlier. The restoration of the City Hall tower seems to be complete. As this is arguably the most interesting piece of architechture in the city, it is a welcome change to see it exposed instead of behind scaffolding.

Thanks br, I will check it out!

Pawtucket does have a 50/50 tree program where the resident pays half the cost of the tree and planting costs. The City will plant the tree. Residents in all parts of the City are eligible. However, there is a certain limit of trees availa ble for planting each year. To be placed on the list call Jack Carney at 728-0500, ext. 236. He'll get you to the right place to sign up. Herb Weiss

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have a good map that shows the Pawtucket neighbourhoods, or would anyone want to draw one?

Contact Mike Wilcox at the Pawtucket's Department of Planning and Redevelopment. He can be reached at 401/724-5200. He can get email you a map of the neighborhoods. -- Herb Weiss, Economic and Cultural Affairs Officer, City of Pawtucket

Contact Mike Wilcox at the Pawtucket's Department of Planning and Redevelopment. He can be reached at 401/724-5200. He can get email you a map of the neighborhoods. -- Herb Weiss, Economic and Cultural Affairs Officer, City of Pawtucket

And after you get it, can you post it here? I'm curious about this as well.

- Garris

when you call, tell him to put it on their website.

• 4 weeks later...

*sigh*

Like many things that are funny in this state, I'd like to rant about something right now. I have put in numerous bids for various things that come across my desk, some I get, some I dont. A state/city contract, though, I never ever ever get. You know why? They go to the lowest bidder by default... no matter the qualifications or portfolio of the applicant. So the city gets crap.

Case in point:

www.film.ri.gov

Lost this one to the lowest bidder... you think Hollywood takes this seriously?

I also applied for and lost (2 yrs in a row) for the Pawtucket Arts Festival website, and the Pawtucket City calendar. Haven't seen the new Pawt. Arts Fest. site yet.

I guess I need to lower my prices.

*sigh*

Like many things that are funny in this state, I'd like to rant about something right now. I have put in numerous bids for various things that come across my desk, some I get, some I dont. A state/city contract, though, I never ever ever get. You know why? They go to the lowest bidder by default... no matter the qualifications or portfolio of the applicant. So the city gets crap.

Case in point:

www.film.ri.gov

Lost this one to the lowest bidder... you think Hollywood takes this seriously?

I also applied for and lost (2 yrs in a row) for the Pawtucket Arts Festival website, and the Pawtucket City calendar. Haven't seen the new Pawt. Arts Fest. site yet.

I guess I need to lower my prices.

We are required to seek bids and yes, its the lowest bid that will usually get chosen. We have purchasing policies that must be followed. Sorry, that's what we have to do in the public sector. In the private sector you can choose any vendor even those that get you the highest price. Herb Weiss

Herb,

Does Pawtucket have a tree planting program like Providence? I could use a couple around my house and would be perfectly willing to care for them.

Wehave a 50/50 tree program. The City picks up half the tab, you pay half the tab. I believe we are budgeted for 50 trees a year. Call me at 724-5200 and I will get you to the right department overseeing the program. Herb Weiss

Does anyone have a good map that shows the Pawtucket neighbourhoods, or would anyone want to draw one?

Contact Mike Wilcox in the planning department at 724-5200. He can probably email you a map of the neighborhoods. Barry Heath of this office has a report the profiles all the neighborhoods and gives the demographics, etc. He can probably get you a copy to post. Herb Weiss

We are required to seek bids and yes, its the lowest bid that will usually get chosen.

OMG!!!!!!!

You actually paid somebody to do that! Waste of Money!!!

It looks like somebody in City Hall was building websites in, say, 1996 and had one leftover. Donated it for the tax deduction.

Makes you, us, the whole effing town look like a bunch of hapless losers.

OMG!!!!!!!

You actually paid somebody to do that! Waste of Money!!!

It looks like somebody in City Hall was building websites in, say, 1996 and had one leftover. Donated it for the tax deduction.

Makes you, us, the whole effing town look like a bunch of hapless losers.

I second this emotion. Maybe with a little less vitriol but I do second it.

Maybe I should go down to city hall and plunk down an old copy of Dreamweaver or Adobe GoLive on the front steps? anything would be better than what they have up there.

• 1 month later...

Is there a public pool for Pawtucket residents?

There is a pool in Fairlawn Veterans Memorial Park off Smithfield Ave south of Mineral Spring Ave. Google Map

I found this info about a 2001 rehab grant on the US Interior Department's National Business Center website.

Encouraging Recreation on Public Lands

* Pawtucket - Fairlawn Veteran's Memorial Park: 2001 Urban Park And Recreation Restoration Grant Program (NPS): T his effort rehabilitated a 25-year old swimming pool and bathhouse, the only remaining public swimming facility in the city. A playground that was severely damaged by fire 4 years ago will also be replaced.

Edited by frymasterspeck

Your correspondent asked a series of pointed questions about sidewalks:

Is there a program for repair?

How is that program communicated to residents?

What about non-existent sidewalks?

What is the law about snow removal?

How is that enforced?

It was with no relish that I grilled Ron Travers [who did me a solid when I had a zoning issue]on the fact that with just two inspectors, there can be no viable enforcement of any environmental program. In addition, The City also confessed that there is no statute compelling sidewalks at existing properties. The snow removal ordinance requires sidewalks be made "safe" but not "clear.

I guess that somewhat answers my question I had asked Herbs.

The Providence one is in desperate need of updating, I haven't really had the time. When I do I'll add Pawtucket projects to the Providence map, I can zoom out and re-center the default map to show that Pawtucket is there.

Where do you get your list of projects? I know of many...

Where ever I can find information. I don't have a lot on Pawtucket, so if you wanted to start a new thread to list some that'd be helpful. I need name, status, description, and an exact address so that I can place them on the map. Status being Proposed, In-Progress, Recently Complete...