Rowe Hotel- Olds Manor

ericdriver

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have only heard what i have read on here, which was that Dick Devos owns the place and is i guess waiting on the post office to move to another more convenient site for them that way he can have the waterfront property and then develop olds manor into another hotel or something along those lines. The hotel Idea is speculation though, from what i have read on the forum

I have a pic of "Hotel Rowe" from the 40's but photbucket wont upload it b/c its a wierd format. Its pretty fascinating photo though.

One of the amway families owns this, and is holding onto it for possible future development. They had rockford construction go through it and clean it up inside, so it is ready for redevelopment. There is a lot of speculation in regards to it, but nothing firm has been announced. The most common opinion is that they would need to buy out the post office next door in order to redevelop this property. By the way, nice pics.

Here it is

From 1947, I found it on a GRPL website

The description says you can see the Grand Trunk Depot in the background.

It was Rowe Hotel, then later became the Manger Hotel and then Olds Manor

I read somewhere it was olds manor nursing home from 71 to either 81 or 91 when it closed and has been empty since. Not positive though

Rowe.jpg

Can someone tell me the years of construction for this one? The closest I've ever been able to get was that it was built sometime in the 1920's. It will be interesting to see what they do with it. Lansing was lucky to have its historic 14-story Hotel Olds (very similar, but larger) renovated into a state office building. Hotel Rowe looks like a perfect condominium building, though it seems a bit disconnected from downtown from what I can remember.

Hotel Rowe looks like a perfect condominium building, though it seems a bit disconnected from downtown from what I can remember.

Disconnected? Heck no, its right in the middle of downtown! As a hotel, I'd guess it could be successful since the convention center is right next door. Actually, I would like to see it restored as a hotel someday

Mr. Moderator, before you change, it, please let me know why its misleading.

I simply stated what the building started as then its next name change then what its going to be next, which we dont know. The only thing i left out of the title was the name it took for about a few years or so when it was called Manger hotel.

I am new and it was my first post, I'm just trying to contribute.

Disconnected? Heck no, its right in the middle of downtown! As a hotel, I'd guess it could be successful since the convention center is right next door. Actually, I would like to see it restored as a hotel someday

Isn't it right in the northwestern corner of downtown? I seem to remember it was pretty much away from the action. You can have a building right in the heart of the city, and it still be isolated at street level.

Mr. Moderator, before you change, it, please let me know why its misleading.

I simply stated what the building started as then its next name change then what its going to be next, which we dont know. The only thing i left out of the title was the name it took for about a few years or so when it was called Manger hotel.

I am new and it was my first post, I'm just trying to contribute.

It says "Rowe Hotel - Olds Manor - TBA?", assuming it meant "To be announced". It lead me to believe that there was an announcement coming. The Rowe is one of my favorites, and I was disappointed to find out the thread was the same discussions we've had before.

Thanks for your contribution though.

I assumed that the ? mark was asking if there was any expected announcements; But, I did hope the announcement was coming soon.

I assume that if Project X goes through that a LOT of other projects will be solidified, started, expedited, upgraded, etc...

Was the Rowe Hotel considered upscale for its day? For its time, would it be considered an Amway Grand, Radison, Holiday Inn or a Motel 8? ;)

It was considered one of the better hotels in the city at the time. If I remember correctly, quite a few celebrities stayed there, including John F Kennedy when he visited.

Isn't it right in the northwestern corner of downtown? I seem to remember it was pretty much away from the action. You can have a building right in the heart of the city, and it still be isolated at street level.

It's located on Michigan directly east of the PostOffice and west of the GR Press offices.

(The post office is on land the train depot once stood as shown in the older photo)

South across the street is the new convention center where the old GRPolice

headquarters stood. It's a beautiful building and I hope, too, that its dignity is preserved.

Think of all the people who died in there.

Not any more than your typical nursing home. People die, it's life.

An urban "camping" trip would be pretty awesome. What other vacant buildings could you squat for a night?*

*UP does not condone the practice of squatting of any kind, this is just imaginary scenarios.

Archived