Rowe Hotel- Olds Manor

ericdriver

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as people's love or hate of Atwater, I think the rising tide raises all boats in this situation. Beer tourism seems to be becoming a bigger thing and I'm happy GR is represented by Grand Rapids, Holland and Detroit breweries.

Joe

I agree about raising the tide on the entire beer scene in Grand Rapids. I just hope that more mediocre breweries in town doesn't stave off innovation and creativity in favor of wider availability. That being said, this town (and the entire state really) is an embarrassment of beer riches, so we're definitely better off than most areas of the country.

I agree about raising the tide on the entire beer scene in Grand Rapids. I just hope that more mediocre breweries in town doesn't stave off innovation and creativity in favor of wider availability. That being said, this town (and the entire state really) is an embarrassment of beer riches, so we're definitely better off than most areas of the country.

Articles says they're going to have 40 taps, so maybe they'll get experimental like Short's does at their brewery. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/5/2016 at 8:28 AM, ctpgr34 said:

Here are some renderings for Atwater.

Screen Shot 2016-04-05 at 8.24.46 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-04-05 at 8.24.27 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-04-05 at 8.25.00 AM.png

I just noticed when these appeared on another media outlet the Big Ass Fans in the renderings. I love me some Big Ass Fans. The next thing Atwater should do is get a Sninola clock out in front and they'd have a Little Detroit on that corner. In fact, a Shinola outlet store in the other retail space would be a homerun. 

In other news, there's some kind of steel canopy structure going on the Michigan Street side of the Rowe right now.

14 minutes ago, thebeerqueer said:

I don't get it. The article is very comprehensive and well written, but is it trying to say Shinola is a fraud because it is a new brand or because it was launched by the owner of Fossil watches??  

37 minutes ago, discgrab21 said:

I don't get it. The article is very comprehensive and well written, but is it trying to say Shinola is a fraud because it is a new brand or because it was launched by the owner of Fossil watches??  

I don't get it either. I think the headline is written poorly; it makes one think the article is a hit piece, but it's not really.  It's just a profile of the owner written with some dramatic flourish.  The writer points out the superficiality in the brand's marketing, but it doesn't even really read as a denunciation.  And why would it be?  It's just savvy marketing.  She probably didn't write the headline.  If you separate the headline from the article, most of its negative connotation is removed.

If anything, having read that, I probably have more respect for the brand now, just from learning so much about it ;)

I would love to see a Shinola retail store in downtown GR.

Its not a denunciation or a 'fraud alert' just a clarification that Shinola isn't an old-timey, Detroit-rivial brand. Its a fabricated story, a well executed fabricated story. That being said, it seems like a good company, that treats their employees well. 

IMHO the brand smacks of in-authenticity and isn't something I would want. 

Archived