Hollywood of the south

brodieseyes

Hollywood of the south  

158 members have voted

1. 1. What city do you think is the hollywood of the south?

• Atlanta
    • Charlotte
    • Miami
    • New Orleans
    • Houston

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think any of the 5 in the poll are that well known for films. However if I had to pick one, it would easily be Miami as it has had the most media exposure in the last 100 years.

I didn't think to look at it from a historical standpoint like this, but I have to agree.

And obviously many others do as well, as Miami has by far the majority of votes.

• 2 weeks later...

Well what do you mean by Hollywood?

If by Hollywood you mean "the film & television production industry," I'd argue Louisiana in general. The industry in Southern California is certainly not limited to the Hollywood district of L.A. so no need to specify Baton Rouge over Shreveport etc.

If by Hollywood you mean "national attention, fame & glamour," that's much harder to answer. I don't think there is a single counterpart in the South so Nashville, Atlanta or Miami could each argue their merits in terms of national awareness & popularity.

• 2 weeks later...

According to the list above.....Shreveport is the Hollywood of the south....then Memphis...and third Miami......soooooooooooo why isnt Shreveport and Memphis included in the list?......Cuz yall didnt know....Now you do....lol....

It's odd how Memphis gets ignored in a situation like this. It really is quietly making an impact on the film-making scene.

As a whole, I think Louisiana can now officially take the crown of "Hollywood of the South."

Louisiana ranks third for film production in U.S.

State is third behind only California and New York

http://www.wwltv.com/local/stories/wwl0305...m.2101a001.html

I would love to see the official report from ERA. Knowing the exact formula used to come up with their results should be essential to knowing if this is completely accurate in the grand scheme of the film industry. Studies often contradict one another. Even so, I am glad to hear of Louisiana's late success in that regard. :shades:

As a whole, I think Louisiana can now officially take the crown of "Hollywood of the South."

Louisiana ranks third for film production in U.S.

State is third behind only California and New York

http://www.wwltv.com/local/stories/wwl0305...m.2101a001.html

It's apples and oranges. Hollywood is a district; Louisiana is an entire state. Maybe this needs to be narrowed down a bit. ;)

• 1 month later...

add to miami:

Superfuzz, 1980, featuring Ernest Borgnine, and a bunch of people who probably never worked again. An earnest cop (looks like that blone airhead from Flash Gordon) goes out to serve a warrant on the Seminole Reservation, when an off-course satellite explodes over the Everglades, showering him with radiation, which gives him superhuman crime-fighting powers, which he uses, while often shirtless and flexing in that famous Florida sunshine, to bust up organized crime syndicates. Close to Ed Wood levels of magnificent, transcendant, entertaining awfulness. Worth tracking down, and - oh yeah - a soundtrack (no soundtrack album was released, unfortunately) that will make you wanna boogie oogie oogie 'till you just can't boogie no more.

• 1 month later...

This thread makes me chuckle. There truly is no such thing. There is but one "Hollywood" and the rest of you do NOT want it. Trust me. ;)

No, but everyone wants to recognize their home city on the big screen and that's the point of this thread.

Over the past two years in Shreveport we have seen the development of three major film studios with two more on the way, one of which is going to be constructed by Hollywood-based Millennium Films who has literally been filming major movie after movie here for the past two years.

This year will bring the return of Jessica Simpson who just wrapped a major film here last year; and Ted Danson, Katie Holmes, Diane Keaton, and Queen Latifah just wrapped up filming Mad Money. A couple months ago Martin Lawrence wrapped a film called The Better Man. In addition to all these recent projects, Denzel Washington is currently making a film here titled The Great Debaters.

The industry here has been big lately, and I hope it only gets bigger!

Check out Richmond in the newly released Evan Almighty. I haven't seen the movie yet so I don't know how much of it you actually see, but I remember street closures while they were filming downtown. I think Steve Carrell even sprained his ankle on the set.

Check out Richmond in the newly released Evan Almighty. I haven't seen the movie yet so I don't know how much of it you actually see, but I remember street closures while they were filming downtown. I think Steve Carrell even sprained his ankle on the set.

Nice! My wife and I are going to see that movie soon (she's been badly ill so we haven't been out much lately) and I'll definitely look for recognizable scenes! I had no idea that was made in Richmond. Very cool!

Archived