NC State Govt Complex: what are the plans?

citiboi27610

I was driving downtown yesterday and drove from Peace st. down Salisbury St. I noticed a weird looking struture going up in front of the parking deck that also has an entrance from McDowell St.

Does anyone know what it is? Thanks.

How do I put a pointer on the spot I'm talking about on Google maps so I can link it?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. I first start by clicking this link, which I have bookmarked.
  2. Zoom in enough to find the exact spot. The Hybrid option is probably the most effective mode.
  3. Double click on the exact spot on Google maps to center it.
  4. Right click on "Link to this Page"
  5. Click on Copy Link Location
  6. Paste into your browser's URL address bar
  7. Select the coordinates in the URL address bar
  8. Paste the coordinates into Google Maps search bar, hit Search
  9. Right click on "Link to this Page"
  10. Click on Copy Link Location
  11. Paste into UP note as a link

Ok here is a map pointing to the location I'm talking about. Tell me what you think.

I'll ask around the office and see.....its not a chiller tower...even State Gov't is not dumb enough to front something like that on Salisbury St. I think that lot was slated for new office space along time ago...which is why the parking decks were pushed back to the RR tracks.

State Government Master Plan

Just curious where you get your info.....the State master plan only mentions an office building on either side of the Seaboard Building both to house Division of Public Health offices (DEHNR does not exist any more as mentioned in the plan).

This is a good read folks. For all you skyline people, a twelve story DOT building is mentioned at Lane and McDowell to help densify the area near the TTA station plus the block south of the executive mansion has a cool little rendering of an entire block of offices roughly 2-3 stories in scale, plus a State Library at Jones and Salisbury.

Blount Street and the Museum (Green Square) items, as we know, are under way.

State Government Master Plan

Just curious where you get your info.....the State master plan only mentions an office building on either side of the Seaboard Building both to house Division of Public Health offices (DEHNR does not exist any more as mentioned in the plan).

This is a good read folks. For all you skyline people, a twelve story DOT building is mentioned at Lane and McDowell to help densify the area near the TTA station plus the block south of the executive mansion has a cool little rendering of an entire block of offices roughly 2-3 stories in scale, plus a State Library at Jones and Salisbury.

Blount Street and the Museum (Green Square) items, as we know, are under way.

I know people working on the project.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

The state's Law and Justice Building (Morgan/Wilmington/Fayetteville Sts.) has been under renovation for a very long time (at least 2 years). Const. crews just recently finished installing new windows and have removed heavy equip. from around this building. Does anyone know anything about what agency will be occupying this space or when it will reopen?

• 4 months later...

I don't question the necessity of a new capital area visitors center, however, I do question the location and the form it will take. Why can't it be part of a larger building - that lot is a great spot for something a lot more grand than a one level visitors center with some open space. There has to be a way to get a private developer involved and let Wake Co. lease space for the visitors center. Just my two cents.

I don't question the necessity of a new capital area visitors center, however, I do question the location and the form it will take. Why can't it be part of a larger building - that lot is a great spot for something a lot more grand than a one level visitors center with some open space. There has to be a way to get a private developer involved and let Wake Co. lease space for the visitors center. Just my two cents.

Agreed!!!

I wish the state would look into asking developers for assistance. Why can't the state do a mixed use building? Starting with a parking deck and restaurant on one side of the building and the entrance to the CAVC, (Capital Area Visitors Center), on the other. Then add office space and maybe even condo's to help with cost? They could probably do all of this on just half of the parking lot and sell off the rest?

I've thought about this a lot.

State government needs more office space and parking, and now they want a visitor's center. They have a huge resource in those two blocks of parking in prime locations. You could easily fit a parking deck and highrise office space (not even skyscraper) and visitor's center and sell parts to private development to help finance the rest.

Exactly my thoughts. They spent so much money on giving F Street such a great makeover, why don't they put the visitors center in a building there so they can use the street to add to the "wow factor" and give the street even more publicity. Better yet, put it in the new plaza they want to construct on F street where the Plensa project was supposed to go.

The state didn't spend any money on F Street -- that was Raleigh's money, and maybe Wake County's. The state wants a visitor's center on Jones for school trips (and other visitors) to the museums, Capitol Building, and General Assembly. Having Fayetville Street nearby is nice, but not a concern.

A lot of the state's needs -- consolidated office space for the department of Health and Human services (and other agencies), parking (for employees, visitors, and school field trip buses), and the visitor's center -- could be combined with Raleigh needs -- living units for the middle class (and state employees) and retail space supported by workers, residents, and visitors -- in the two blocks bound by Jones, Person, Edenton and Wilmington.

North Blount is a good start, but those surface parking lot blocks (and the Green Square lot west of Salisbury) -- could easily be redevloped to meet these needs. If they are lease-happy, then let a private developer buy the land. I would jump at the chance to put a Quorum Center-type building with a ground floor visitor's center, a few floors of office space above that and residences on top on Wilmington.

Will losing those spaces for construction be that much of a deal killer? Building the deck first and then other parts around it could make those spaces availble in a year or so after groundbreaking. There is already a lot of hidden parking in the area -- below the museum, the GA building, under the grassy mall, and the decks along Salisbury. If state employees are paying so much, why aren't the older decks paid off yet?

The 9-5 only nature of the state government area is a black hole of activity north of Edenton Street. It cuts Glenwood South off from Seaboard and Oakwood. Capitol Blvd doesn't help, but the dead office park doesn't help. Do other state capitals have the same problem? Austin? Columbia, SC? Richmond? Sacremento, CA? Albany, NY? What can we learn from them?

Exactly my thoughts. They spent so much money on giving F Street such a great makeover, why don't they put the visitors center in a building there so they can use the street to add to the "wow factor" and give the street even more publicity. Better yet, put it in the new plaza they want to construct on F street where the Plensa project was supposed to go.

Just so we're all clear, the visitor's center is a State Government project. F Street was under the purview of the City.

I think it should be either 1 of two places. In the City Site One Project on Fayetteville Street of the street level of course or naturally built into the Convention Center. That end of Fayetteville street will already be busy with visitors and such and it would seem they could get plenty of exposure there.

Great thought.. but.. the state's main purpose is a place to register/check-in the many many school groups that tour the capitol and other govt. buildings (museums, etc.). The WRAL story cites that the building will be a place to talk to the kids and store their lunches, etc. I really think site one would be better for a vis. ctr, but the edenton/wilm location is more practical when you're talking about a place for school tour groups.

Archived