CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Magnolia Park Town Center

g-man430

I checked, and our Bass Pro Shops (I assume it will be a BPS Outdoor World) would be the second in the state. The other one is in Myrtle Beach, due to its high tourism, so that says a lot for the Greenville market. :thumbsup:

We will get Nordstrom (or something like it) one day. The fact that they even looked at our market, and did studies to see if they are a good fit, speaks volumes about how far our market (and the area) have come. Nordstrom would have probably laughed at the notion of even investigating it 10-15 years ago. Give it another 10-15 and they will be itching to be in our market.

It is a nice layout. It looks like Costco will be going where Dillards' was. When Bass Pro Shops is announced, it will probably go up pn the former Montgomery Ward.

Thinking about Rooms To Go, their current Haywood Road store is already the same size for the one they wish to build.

It is a nice layout. It looks like Costco will be going where Dillards' was. When Bass Pro Shops is announced, it will probably go up pn the former Montgomery Ward.

Thinking about Rooms To Go, their current Haywood Road store is already the same size for the one they wish to build.

Rooms to go is the one next to Woordruff rd. There will not be Bass Pro Shops.

Rooms to go is the one next to Woordruff rd. There will not be Bass Pro Shops.

There's no room for Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World with what has been proposed at the Magnolia Park Town Center. Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World would, I speculate, be located at the Pelham Road Exit off of I-85 at the new Shopping Center being developed there. I believe this because this is the site where I had originally thought Costco was looking to locate.

Fact:

In a visit last fall, Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World in Concord confirmed they are aggressively seeking locations for a Greenville area location. They are aware of the vast outdoor recreational opportunities upstate South Carolina (and maybe western North Carolina) has to offer.

Opinion:

Apparently the developer of Magnolia Park misses out on attracting a national sports retailer that passionately wants to locate in the area. Unless there's a change in the design plans which usually happens, the center will be a skeleton without vital organs.

Not all Bass Pro Shops are located along interstates. Savannah, GA and Myrtle Beach, SC are examples. Some are located near a city's center and provides a reason to come to downtown.

Downtown Greenville along the Reedy River or at the Pelham Road exit are great locations.

Fact:

In a visit last fall, Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World in Concord confirmed they are aggressively seeking locations for a Greenville area location. They are aware of the vast outdoor recreational opportunities upstate South Carolina (and maybe western North Carolina) has to offer.

Opinion:

Apparently the developer of Magnolia Park misses out on attracting a national sports retailer that passionately wants to locate in the area. Unless there's a change in the design plans which usually happens, the center will be a skeleton without vital organs.

Not all Bass Pro Shops are located along interstates. Savannah, GA and Myrtle Beach, SC are examples. Some are located near a city's center and provides a reason to come to downtown.

Downtown Greenville along the Reedy River or at the Pelham Road exit are great locations.

Do you know when we could expect an announcement on this?

Do you know when we could expect an announcement on this?

Not exactly. Most announcements by retailers announcing new locations are spontaneously released at any time. Much time goes into researching the market demographics, finding a feasible location, how to market the store to its surrounding areas, finding effective ways to meet income etc. Greenville is somewhere in that process.

There's no room for Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World with what has been proposed at the Magnolia Park Town Center. Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World would, I speculate, be located at the Pelham Road Exit off of I-85 at the new Shopping Center being developed there. I believe this because this is the site where I had originally thought Costco was looking to locate.

COSTCO at one time had an option on property where the HoldGold/Met Life used to stand on Pelham Rd. I wonder what will end up on that site now.

This would be a great way to turn around Laurens Rd... :rolleyes:

I do not see a viable location unless it was at I-85. It seems to be a worse location because of the inefficient interchange.

Why not build Bass Pro Shops adjacently to The Home Depot on Woodruff Road? I know Woodfruff Industrial Court has a few offices of some kind, but a developer coming in to buy it to tie it in with Verdae would be a boost in some way.

Bass Pro Shops in the West End or at County Square overlooking the river/park would be a great activity generator and tourism draw. Mayor White and government officials, are you awake? Public involvement would probably be needed to make this happen.

There are far better uses for the County Square / University Ridge than Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World.

True but Bass Pro Shops is a better use of County Square than cheap office space. Buffalo, NY, I think, looked at getting BPS downtown, since the store is a major tourist draw.

I wouldn't ever shop at a place like Bass Pro Shops (not me, at all!) but I think it'd be good to have downtown since the middle-income families who love Main Street would flock there. The same demographic that gets gear at Mast General Store might shop at BPS as well.

But probably yet another anchor that city leaders won't jump on to get downtown.

BPSOW is one of those places that you could definitely consider a "destination." People will flock to it no matter where it is. It would be so huge, suburban/rual, and out of place downtown.

I'd rather see County Square redeveloped into mixed-use office/residential with minimal or no retail component. I'd rather see BPSOW out near I-85 and Pelham. I bet the folks over in Spartanburg would be happy with that location as well, for the most part.

I don't think Bass Pro Shops fits well at all downtown or in an urban location. REI seems to prefer urban locations more than Bass Pro Shops, but I doubt we are big enough yet for an REI.

BPS belongs in the suburbs with easy interstate access (they seem to like the visibility, too). I think Woodruff is too crowded. As someone else mentioned, the new shopping center at Pelham and I-85 would be a good location for BPS (I would also prefer that Costco be there instead of Magnolia Park Town Center, a little farther from BJ's and Sam's, but oh well).