Pete Hollis Gateway

RestedTraveler

Did anybody see the story in the news last week about the Pete Hollis Gateway, a district bordered by Rutherford Street to the East, Pete Hollis Highway (AKA "Buncombe Street") to the West, and Shaw Street to the North, which is slated for restoration, renovation, and revitalization by the City of Greenville?

The Hincapie brothers have already purchased and renovated two or three buildings in the area, including the offices for Hincapie Sportswear and an old Laundromat, which has since been converted into offices.

The city has evidently been quietly planning on bringing new life back to this part of town just as we're seeing with the West End boom. It sounds pretty promising and should be one more step towards revitaliztion of the Poinsett Highway area to the North.

I'd post a hyperlink to this article, but I can't seem to find it online anywhere.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Whenever i drive through this area, I think about how much potential it has. Everything is just old and run down. I think there is enough room for a really nice mixed use development at the plaza where McBee's Diner used to be, but right now it looks pretty rough. There have already been some good road and intersection improvements there so some ground work has been laid. And the area around the McD's, Salvation Arrmy, City Auto Repair could really use some work or new development. But I think the most pressing need in this immediate area is the area just North of Heritage Green where the Cline company buildings are. (As I have mentioned before) these buildings should really be consolidated, opening the other parcels up for redevelopment. These buildigns along with the 1000 year old garages nearby are a stark and unimpressive contrast to much of DT. Any thoughts?

• 6 months later...

Interesting renderings. But (as I have opined before) the bridge and gateway will never look good until the junkyard and Cline Co buildings are gone.

Anyone know how much of this is currently in the city, you don't even see a city limit signb until after the bridge? Any possibility some of this could be annexed?

Interesting renderings. But (as I have opined before) the bridge and gateway will never look good until the junkyard and Cline Co buildings are gone.

Isn't that the whole idea of the gateway.....to clean up and revitalize this area? Give it time, give it time. It's just starting.

Camperdown Bridge USED to keep the falls from looking good and magically, it was gone! :whistling:

I don't think the Cline Company needs to go. I know quite a few people who use their services and buy their products who are extremely happy with them but they could do with making the exterior of their building look better, especially the rusty car on the stick!

I'm not sure what the junkyard is however? Their is a collision repair place that does have cars that have been damaged in wrecks but those are their for a short time as they are either repaired or towed away.

I'm all for making things look nice but I'm not for running businesses out of their location just for the sake of making things look pretty.

I do wish something like the Cash and Carry store would return. Of course the interior would not fly today but a similiar more modern concept would be great. When that store left the whole area started going downhill.

Edited by linkerjpatrick

I don't think the Cline Company needs to go. I know quite a few people who use their services and buy their products who are extremely happy with them but they could do with making the exterior of their building look better, especially the rusty car on the stick!

I'm not sure what the junkyard is however? Their is a collision repair place that does have cars that have been damaged in wrecks but those are their for a short time as they are either repaired or towed away.

I'm all for making things look nice but I'm not for running businesses out of their location just for the sake of making things look pretty.

I do wish something like the Cash and Carry store would return. Of course the interior would not fly today but a similiar more modern concept would be great. When that store left the whole area started going downhill.

Cline will need to relocate in order for this area to reach it's potential. They can make their customers just as happy (or more so) in a new location. Their property completely surrounds the major intersection. Instead of a 9-5 M-F industrial/commercial use, it could be a 24 hour mixed-use project that compliments and augments the Heritage Green complex and presents a grand entrance to DT. Cline doesn't have to go day one, but eventually it will have to in order for this vision to reach reality. I'm sure for the right amount of money, they would be glad to move to brand new digs. It probably won't happen for a few years yet, though.

The Junkyard is further North on Poinsett (between the area in question and Cherrydale). It would be good to remove that eyesore, but it is far enough away to not hinder the Pete Hollis square area. The BIGGER hinderance by far, is the cluster of intenties that serve the homeless population that congregates in the area.

Cline will need to relocate in order for this area to reach it's potential. They can make their customers just as happy (or more so) in a new location. Their property completely surrounds the major intersection. Instead of a 9-5 M-F industrial/commercial use, it could be a 24 hour mixed-use project that compliments and augments the Heritage Green complex and presents a grand entrance to DT. Cline doesn't have to go day one, but eventually it will have to in order for this vision to reach reality. I'm sure for the right amount of money, they would be glad to move to brand new digs. It probably won't happen for a few years yet, though.

The Junkyard is further North on Poinsett (between the area in question and Cherrydale). It would be good to remove that eyesore, but it is far enough away to not hinder the Pete Hollis square area. The BIGGER hinderance by far, is the cluster of intenties that serve the homeless population that congregates in the area.

Agreed on Cline.

Junkyard - I suppose you mean the steel scrapyard. It is pretty far up from this immediate area, but will definately need to go if all of Poinsett between downtown and Cherrydale is revitalized.

What entities serve the homeless in this area? I know Labor Finders is in the area, but what else?

I noticed the other day that on the corner of Rutherford and Poinsett that the refurbished building has a new sign on it. Snapshot, a photo and art bar, is the name on it. Looked like they were unpacking boxes in there too. Looks good.

Agreed on Cline.

Junkyard - I suppose you mean the steel scrapyard. It is pretty far up from this immediate area, but will definately need to go if all of Poinsett between downtown and Cherrydale is revitalized.

What entities serve the homeless in this area? I know Labor Finders is in the area, but what else?

I noticed the other day that on the corner of Rutherford and Poinsett that the refurbished building has a new sign on it. Snapshot, a photo and art bar, is the name on it. Looked like they were unpacking boxes in there too. Looks good.

It (Snap Shot) and Crosby Stills will make nice additions to that area. They're a bit ahead of the crest on the wave of change that's coming to that area, though, I suspect. I hope they can hang in there for a long time. :thumbsup: I'd love to see more and more and more changes of the nature of this take place along Poinsett Highway. :shades:

Ok, the junk yard on Poinsett, yea that's a mile or two up the road. Not sure if it's their because of the railroad or not, i.e. if the use the location to load scrap metal on trains. I know theirs another junk yard at the Intersection of

White Horse Road and 124 that is also next to a rail line. I had to laugh at the half-hearted attempt a while back to put up that white fence on the bridge overlooking the junkyard and then the person tried to paint a mountain scene on it. Like that fooled anyone. If Cline and other places could find a good place that would be nice but I would hope the city wouldn't run them out like they did in the Billy Mitchell bruhaha. Sure Riverplace looks great but they should have offered him a place inside Riverplace for his land as well as the others there. the whole situation seemed to have had an air that Knox White and Billy Mitchell had been long time rivals or something. I'm all for making things look nice but to me personal property rights come first.

As far as people catering to the homeless. Their is also the Salvation Army and Triune Mercy Center.

If Cline and other places could find a good place that would be nice but I would hope the city wouldn't run them out like they did in the Billy Mitchell bruhaha. Sure Riverplace looks great but they should have offered him a place inside Riverplace for his land as well as the others there. the whole situation seemed to have had an air that Knox White and Billy Mitchell had been long time rivals or something. I'm all for making things look nice but to me personal property rights come first.

The city got burned so bad on Billy Mitchell, that I seriously doubt an emenient domain situation would be even attempted. Besides the laws have changed since then and that will make it more difficult, if not impossible, unless the city used the land for a city building or park exclusively.

BTW, as I understand it, Billy Mitchell WAS offered space in Riverplace. He did not take the offer. I don't know much about it beyond that.

I remember when we built the riverplace building. We were right on top of his house before they tore it down to replace it with a nice set of steps. We could throw bricks into his swimming pool we were so close. They built the building right up to his back door. His wife was always trying to run us over with her car cause she wanted to act like a spoiled mad little rich girl i guess.

I remember when we built the riverplace building. We were right on top of his house before they tore it down to replace it with a nice set of steps. We could throw bricks into his swimming pool we were so close. They built the building right up to his back door. His wife was always trying to run us over with her car cause she wanted to act like a spoiled mad little rich girl i guess.

Billy Mitchell owned the record shop, not the residential dwelling. The person who owned it, was a former student of the architect who designed it. Both structures had sentimental value for the owners.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like something is getting ready to happen at the Pete Hollis Gateway. They were removing all the trees and landscaping from triangle portion that is to be the Pete Hollis Sculpture Garden.

I also see the Snap Shot Cafe appears to be open as well.

Speaking of the Snap Shot I drove by their about an hour ago and notice they had "Leopard Forest Coffee Company" on their marque sign. Does anyone know if the Snap Shot is being done by the same owners of the Leopard Forest or are they just reselling Leopard Forest cofffee? (which I love by the way).