Pete Hollis Gateway

RestedTraveler

• 1 month later...

I think some of you finally got your wish. As i drove by the BB&T building today it appeared that work had started on the fountain site across from the Heritage Green site. A backhoe was onsite and some grading was taking place.

Can someone tell me how to post a picture? I am new to this site. I tried to copy and paste and that did'nt do it. When I hit the insert pic button it asks for a URL. Do the pics have to be posted on the internet or do I need to buy a site subscription?

Get a free account at flickr.com or photobucket.com to get your url.

greenvillepics011.jpg

How beautiful would this view be without phone poles?

Well it would look a little better of course but that stretch of road needs a lot more help than removing phone poles but if removing them will keep me from losing power in the next ice storm I'm all for it. BTW, I drive that stretch of road a few days a week as I travel from my house to downtown. I don't live in that section but it's part of the route from "North Berea".

greenvillepics011.jpg

Not only without the utility poles, but with 6-10' wide sidewalks, decorative street lights (like you find in the West End District along South Main between Augutsa/River and the Ballpark), landscaping and trees, and stop lights suspended from arms, not cables. Paris Mountain as a backdrop driving North out of town would be gorgeous, inviting, and noteworthy.

Welcome to UP tech_bus_student!

I totally agree! A new Augusta or "West End" was the exact thought I had when we chose a house in Cherrydale. I see that vision very much. There is an organized group of cherrydale business people trying to make this a reality. They fall under the Chamber and are only the second group to represent a perticular area. The first is a group for the Woodruff and farther east area. They had an open meeting in Furman last year and I have not heard anything else since, but I believe they are still at it.

It would look MUCH, MUCH better. Not likely to happen though, since that part is outside the city, which is the protagonist for doing that work.

Welcome to the site BTW. I'm a Techie as well.

I heard the county has started a study on this area, in order to rezone it similarly to the RDV zoning in the Pete Hollis area. The thing that really stuck out to me was that they really want to push the density with mixed use and 4-8 story buildings. Not sure how reliable my source was though.

Edited by Chickenwing

greenvillepics011.jpg

Poinsett Highway from Rutherford to Cherrydale is an eyesore. I'd like to see bulldozers running up and down either side of the road tearing down everything in their path. I would probably consider the phone poles to be one of the more aestheticly pleasing things along that road.

Are you using a camera phone?

I heard the county has started a study on this area, in order to rezone it similarly to the RDV zoning in the Pete Hollis area. The thing that really stuck out to me was that they really want to push the density with mixed use and 4-8 story buildings. Not sure how reliable my source was though.

Well I could live with that! :good:

They've all been vacant a long long time, at least 5 years. Another prime site is the one that has the "Spinx coming Soon" sign on it at Pete Hollis Hwy and Stone Avenue Ext. that backs onto James St. I know that neighbourhood raised a ruckus over Spink putting a gas station there.

That last picture above was a Hess Station. I remember that did a lot of work on the border around the place when they widened the road. I thought it was going to reopen after the construction work (I assumed they had to shift some tanks etc.) but I guess Hess decided to concentrate on their newer location on Poinsett Hwy. between Cherrydale and Furman. I never understood how the Terry Mart managed to stay in business because it was a bear to get in and out of and it always seemed the cars getting gas their were of the "hillbilly" demographic which is odd because their prices seem higher than other places. That is such a narrow strip of land I don't know what of any significance could be done with it. If anything some interesting landscaping could be put in. I'm not sure how that would effect the warehouse or whatever it is behind it.

BTW, I heard the McDonalds was going to be torn down and replaced with a different form factor. Something along the line of a checker's or Chic-fil-a style since most of the patrons their are drive through anyway.

BTW, I heard the McDonalds was going to be torn down and replaced with a different form factor. Something along the line of a checker's or Chic-fil-a style since most of the patrons their are drive through anyway.

I saw one of these new model McDonald's in Huntington, WV a couple of weekends ago. It's right at the South Endzone of Marshall University's football stadium and it replaced one that had been in that same site on 5th Avenue there ever since I can remember. The only thing that said "McDonald's" about it was the presence of the Golden Arches. Otherwise, it looked completely new and modern in appearance (a large arc for a roof, lots of glass, etc.). It's difficult to describe. It looked somewhat like this:

catoosa-afte-r2.jpg

or this:

338047317_eadd85d120_m.jpg

But it still looked very different.

I'd personally rather see them put something like this on that site (if it weren't for the proximity to the Hollis Gateway):

mcdonalds_041504_big.jpg

Edited by RestedTraveler

Poinsett Highway from Rutherford to Cherrydale is an eyesore. I'd like to see bulldozers running up and down either side of the road tearing down everything in their path. I would probably consider the phone poles to be one of the more aestheticly pleasing things along that road.

That's funny. I drove down Rutherford today and was thinking the same thing. There is one new development, an art caf

anybody know what happening with these places? :sick:

DSCI0001-1.jpg

DSCI0002-1.jpg

DSCI0001.jpg

From the looks of the photos; not too much! :rolleyes:

I think this stretch, 123, and 81 are the three entrance coridors that must be significantly revitalized in order for DT and the city to really be able to expand. Just think how much could be done around the old McBee diner spot, for example. This could be another McBee station, or a collection of Midrise affordable stuff. The possibilities seem endless. Hmm, maybe we can get McChesney to take a look around. :whistling:

• 2 weeks later...

The Fountain Wall at Heritage Green is coming along quickly. They have the water supply piping in for this sticking out of the ground and by the looks of it this will be quite a big fountain.

It'll really going to enhance the entrance to downtown from the Westside.

• 2 months later...

From this week's TBA in the Journal:

"There is a lot of talk right now about the section of Hollis Highway inside City Limits. Rumors of an Atlanta-based developer looking to build a shopping center are rampant as well as talk of the fast food places on the strip being remodeled. There is also talk of a grocery store.

There have been other references to this area in TBA in the past as well. There have also been mentions of a grocery store at Main and Stone and Stone and Wade Hampton.

Obviously Bloom or Bi-Lo or someone is looking in the general area. I'd like to know from some of our knowledgeable architects/realtors/builders/etc. what would be the advantages and disadvantages to each of these three choices, and which location do you think will land the grocer. This assumes there is only one interested party, but that is probably a safe bet, IMO.