What's Going On In Augusta

PJA

I attended First Friday last night and it was bigger and better than the last one I attended about 8 months ago. There were different vendors and restaurants selling food, different bands performing in different areas of Broad Street with crowds gathered around each of them, and a car show. There were also people doing magic tricks, caricatures, picture taking and just lots of other things to do. I don't recall seeing half of that stuff the last time. And of course there were the clubs. People were piling into all of the clubs. I didn't even go in because most of them were so crowded.

Edited by PJA

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

First Friday is being ended. Well sort of. The authority in charge of governing the event is dropping off and in a sense, "letting it free." This may actually turn out to be a good thing and maybe the event, which will now be run strictly by downtown merchants, can gravitate back to what it was intended to be, an arts festival to showcase our beautiful downtown. Anyway, here is the article: First Friday

• 1 month later...
Didn't know where to put this, put here goes: Is there a reason why our Christmas lights have totally sucked for the last three or four years? Are we that poor as a city? What happened to all the other lights they used to use? Did they burn out? Or am I being petty?

• 3 months later...

You're coming for reasons other than golf? What on earth??? Oooh, I love this part:

1. Go eat at the French Market in Surrey Center. Great place to people watch and the crowd won't be that bad because most of the patrons will not have arrived yet----but you may see some professional golfers and some execs from CBS.

2. Nice little eclectic shops can be found down on Broad Street and up on the Hill on Monte Sano Avenue (there also some cool shops down Central Avenue, but their coffee sucks!!!)

3. Go to Partridge Inn and have a cocktail. Not sure if it'll be crowded, but it's a great spot located right at the Summerville Ridge and you can see all of the city.

4. Go to the Soul Bar if you want to hang out. It's a bar dedicated to James Brown---the crowd is diverse, but respectful, and there is virtually no snobbery or cliquiness (word???) there, which is unheard of in Augusta.

Downtown has really great restaurants. There is Tap Tap (which I've heard is good), La Maison (which has gone laid back from what I understand), the Bees Knees (the original tapas bar), Blue Sky Kitchen (mmmmm), Nacho Mama's (one of the original restaurants to open on Broad), and, I guess, the Pizza Joint (I say that with reservation because they're inconsistent in my opinion, and in all reality, Mellow Mushroom at 10th and Broad is better). Also, good coffee can be found at Metro and Blue Moon. Blue Moon has a bigger selection, but Metro will give you a shot of Bailey's and let you take it with you in a to-go cup. :silly:

Remember, if you really want to act like a local, wear a blazer, khakis, and loafers, walk and drive everywhere with a drink in your hand, and then act upset if you meet someone who isn't from California, New York, or Europe.

I shall write more. What might your interests be George? Interesting sidenote, I'll actually be in your neck of the woods next week, helping my cousin move back from Chapel Hill!!!

Edited by Pillsbury

Pillsbury, so much of your reply centers on coffee.... you're not a java addict r u? :P

I'm actually going to be in the area for a group event at a local hotel. I will be arriving a day early thanks to my work schedule putting me in the area a day early! (I luv it when I've asked off and the day before I go work sends me right to where my fun and frivolities are to start!)

As far as what I like to do, people watch, mingle with the locals, shop (antiquing especially), find interesting things to photograph (as UP has re-ignited the photo bug in me), and at night P-A-R-T-A-Y!!! (um, and that's already handled)

:thumbsup:

Definately get to Riverwalk while Downtown browsing around on Broad street. There are a few good places to eat down there like Boll Weevil, Beamies and King George. Lots of clubs DT on Broad street and in that area. Be sure to take Pillsburys advice and get to Surrey Center for the French Market Grille. There is a club in the same center called Vue I think...never been there though. The gay clubs (Argos and Spectrum) are on Walton Way just down from The Partridge Inn....If thats what your looking for? Seems like alot of us forumers on here are but if not I think many straight people go to these clubs too. Antiquing used to be on the higher end of Broad street but not sure if those turned into Art galleries or not. Where is Augustas antique row now anyway?

Also try to find Park avenue...it should be fantastic this time of year with the blooming Azaleas down the median and the Brick streets. Also Central avenue and the whole Summerville neighborhood. Old Towne is nice for some older Victorian houses but dont wander too far down or you'll wind up in the projects!

Have fun!

Broad Street and Monte Sano Avenue are the kings antique shops around here. I'd follow Socaguy's advice on the club scene, only I might add the Modjeska---seems to be a smart club with a diverse crowd (Not really into the club scene). Also, King George closed, but in its place opened Red Hughes Irish Pub--Bill Gates ate there a few weeks ago when he was in town (yeah, we were hanging out :whistling: ).

Also, if you want to walk around go to Summerville aka The Hill. Very pretty area and lots to see. Some of the prettiest churches ever. Walk up McDowell Street and you'll be dead-center of the Pillsbury's stomping grounds (yes, I'm referring to myself in the 3rd person). For fun, go to Augusta Country Club on Milledge Road and ask to buy Masters badges. It gets them every single time!!! :silly:

I'm addicted to coffee---especially expensive coffee. It's horrible.

Old Towne is nice, but don't go below 3rd Street.

For added fun, go to Columbia County and count the Saabs and BMWs. Also count the Tahoes with W stickers (it's like counting the stars my friend). For even more fun, go to the southside and count the rebel flag stickers and cars riding on 26 inch rims (sometimes you're lucky enough to find a car sporting a combination of both!!!) If you really want to get down with the local scene, go get a lawn chair, sit in Daniel Village parking lot, and tell people you're waiting for Tiger's plane to arrive. Yes, people really do that.

If you need directions, let me know.

Edited by Pillsbury

What a great area to grow up in though. My kids will grow up there one day. I grew up in Goshen, hehe.

Hey George, go to St. Paul's while you're on the Riverwalk. Open most days from 9-5, you can just walk in and look around. A lot of our history is there (the parish is only 20 years younger than Augusta!!). If you go on Sunday, they give you Starbucks coffee. A lot of cool stuff on the inside.

For added fun, go to Columbia County and count the Saabs and BMWs. Also count the Tahoes with W stickers (it's like counting the stars my friend). For even more fun, go to the southside and count the rebel flag stickers and cars riding on 26 inch rims (sometimes you're lucky enough to find a car sporting a combination of both!!!)

Broad Street and Monte Sano Avenue are the kings antique shops around here. I'd follow Socaguy's advice on the club scene, only I might add the Modjeska---seems to be a smart club with a diverse crowd (Not really into the club scene). Also, King George closed, but in its place opened Red Hughes Irish Pub--Bill Gates ate there a few weeks ago when he was in town (yeah, we were hanging out :whistling: ).

For added fun, go to Columbia County and count the Saabs and BMWs.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Had a blast in Augusta! We did the Riverwalk and the downtown thing plus on Saturday night we went to Argos. We saw they were having a drag show and I don't think myself, or my friends from Atlanta or D.C. were expecting much but we were GREATLY surprised. Those drag queens put on a "fierce" show! They almost brought the house down.

We were go to try the French Market Sunday, but they aren't open on Sundays! Maybe next time! :(

Pillsbury, we lost count on the rims. It amazes me, they're up to 24's now on the old LTD's and Caprices. Even saw a couple of old Regal coupes. What r they thinking??

While we toured the historic districts, I was unable to take pictures as my camera acted up!!

Again, thanks for the tips!

GeorgeAug1.jpg

Great shot man!!! Glad you enjoyed your trip to Augusta. It's a pretty cool town. I wish Squeaky's Tip Top was still open. That was the birthplace of Disco Hell and the backyard also serves as a graveyard for a guy's finger that was accidently cut off. They had a full funeral Mass and everything for his finger. That is one of the things I like about Augusta: the eccentric behavior of its residents (including myself). I will miss it.

Glad you liked the Drag Shows. Although I'm straight, I used to know a girl whose brother and his partner told me that the Drag Shows in Augusta were great, even better than a lot of larger cities---back in the good old days when Lady Chablis would head up here quite a bit.....

That's great about the rims. I had to help my cousin move back to Augusta from Chapel Hill on Saturday. While stopped at a gas station, an 84 Chrysler Lebarron pulls up, with one SPINNING HUBCAP. The music was blasting, shaking the car around. I looked over and my brother's face was red, he was doubled-over laughing, and pointing at the one hubcap....................What's wrong with people?