Charter Square (Site One)

avery

There's a lot going on with this design, but I don't think it's a detriment.  I like that it is somewhat pushing the standard box design.  The staggering of the panes reminds me of the International Gem tower in New York.  I wish there was either a large screen at the bottom corner for a ticker, or that it was cantilevered so as to break up the block-ishness of the design.  But I love the crown top. 

I think that they should either bring the Wilmington side up or move the Fayetteville side down. Either way leaving one building with two different heights makes it look odd to me...still not sure if I like it. It does remind me of the old BB&T/Capital Bank building also on Fayetteville st across from Duke Progress.

I think that they should either bring the Wilmington side up or move the Fayetteville side down. Either way leaving one building with two different heights makes it look odd to me...still not sure if I like it. It does remind me of the old BB&T/Capital Bank building also on Fayetteville st across from Duke Progress.

I agree.  It would be nice to play off of BB&T by having twin spires.  

I guess Marriott Residence at 9 isn't visible behind the Wake County office building. Finally spreading out…makes downtown feel less geographically small…thanks for the post!

I think that got bumped up to 11 floors and it would be visible from that angle, I just forgot about it!

pL0OG8A.jpg

Here's another with the same 4 buildings plus that Residence Inn.

Edited by Spatula
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

It's a bit bland but it's better than the earlier render, which had very poor scaling between the outside details and the structure itself, that made the whole thing look kinda tacky. If nothing else, it will make a huge contribution to the perceived size of the city from the convention center.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...
17 hours ago, bj-26 said:

Gosh has anyone heard anything about Charter North? It seems to have just died.

Probably trying to line up tenants. Sometimes a developer will announce a tower and hope to generate buzz to pre-lease enough space so the backers will sign off on starting construction. The Edison is another example. Now the new developer has new renderings and is shopping the space around. 

The Charter folks are pretty good at 1) drumming up those ore leases and 2) bridging financing gaps. I'd expect it to happen at some point soon. But there is a ton of competition all of a sudden so I'm thinking something will die in this rush to build 20 story buildings all over

5 hours ago, Jones_ said:

The Charter folks are pretty good at 1) drumming up those ore leases and 2) bridging financing gaps. I'd expect it to happen at some point soon. But there is a ton of competition all of a sudden so I'm thinking something will die in this rush to build 20 story buildings all over

I would think this would be the easier one to build compared to Edison office because this had/has a residential component, correct?