Charlotte Center City Streetcar Network

Sabaidee

I love this thing. If they ever get their act together with signal preemption it will feel like its moving at warp speed.

That would help a lot.

I feel like a modern-day wuss: When I rode it I had a headache from the noise of the old trolley's wheels, and the 
cabin's echo-y acoustics from some kids laughing. If Phase 2 isn't funded so we can get the modern streetcars, I'm going to cry. But I should buck up and deal with it for transit's sake!

Edited by SgtCampsalot

^I thought I heard the number 1,000 at some point?

if 1,670 is the number then the Gold Line is carrying 1113 riders per mile per day

If the Blue Line ridership is 15,800 (per wiki -- feels low to me) then it carries 1,645 riders per mile

Not bad for the "streetcar to nowhere*"

* if by 'nowhere' you mean connecting the states largest business district to the states largest college to the states 9th largest hospital.

Edited by kermit

^ Don't get me wrong, I am a huge streetcar believer. But $37 million to basically replace half the existing GoldRush might feel a little boondogglly to someone who only looks at the short term. That said, the revival of the (new and improved) Grubb project on Elizabeth along with the promise of Phase II into the west side (giving us a rudimentary E-W rail route) makes the starter segment well worth the $12 million capital expense to the city.

If Phase II brings sub-10 minute frequencies along with signal preemption we will actually have a pretty useful addition to our transit system.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

I honestly think it's premature to have an opinion on it. I love it, but Phase 1 exists in its current form because incremental steps are necessary to get the entire line built. Once Phase 2 is funded and built, it will connect to JSU, and get over the Hawthorne Ave bridge over Independence, which is expensive, and the trolley will be replaced with the modern streetcars.

Right now, I can't help but feel meh, since the trolley is unpleasant to ride, and I keep walking its entire length nearly as fast as it runs it. Also 50% of the time I wait for it, I wait longer than the entire walk would've been. I don't blame anyone for it: it's a very old trolley, and they have limited resources. But once Phase 2 is done it will be judge-able. And whenever Phase 3 is built, it will be a city-wide asset.

Edited by SgtCampsalot

I honestly think it's premature to have an opinion on it. I love it, but Phase 1 exists in its current form because incremental steps are necessary to get the entire line built. Once Phase 2 is funded and built, it will connect to JSU, and get over the Hawthorne Ave bridge over Independence, which is expensive, and the trolley will be replaced with the modern streetcars.

Right now, I can't help but feel meh, since the trolley is unpleasant to ride, and I keep walking its entire length nearly as fast as it runs it. Also 50% of the time I wait for it, I wait longer than the entire walk would've been. I don't blame anyone for it: it's a very old trolley, and they have limited resources. But once Phase 2 is done it will be judge-able. And whenever Phase 3 is built, it will be a city-wide asset.

I'm pretty sure the streetcar you are talking about is about 10-12 years old. It's a replica of Charlotte's older streetcars, but not that old itself. I don't mind the noise or the roughness of the ride at all. I think it adds to the experience to be honest. I hope they find a use for these cars once the new streetcars are in use on the Gold Line.

Ah i didnt know that.

The west side trolley tracks will be excellent when they get up and running. That trolley will be a pioneering force for every abandoned stretch of tracks in the region. They should give it a cartoon character style name.

i really hope you are right about that!