New Tallest Skyscraper in South Carolina

monsoon

Not in Columbia, Not in Greenville, Not in Charleston, but in Myrtle Beach. :yahoo:

There is a really strong rumor that I have heard where there are plans to build a set of 34 story towers in Myrtle Beach. If this is indeed true, these will be the tallest towers in SC, and possibly the second tallest in all of the Carolinas outside of Charlotte. (depending upon the design).

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 40 story ones would be taller than Capitol Center in Columbia, but 34 story residential may not be taller. CC is 349 feet and residential towers are usually no more than 10 feet per floor.

Luxury condos usually have 9-10 foot ceilings now so this means the standard 12 ft between floors. Nobody wants to pay a $500k or more for a place with 8ft ceilings. This is a minimum 408 feet and usually the lobby floor and 2nd floor are usually 35-40 ft combined. So we are talking 450 ft and even higher if they decide to add a spire. This is considerably taller than capital center.

Luxury condos usually have 9-10 foot ceilings now so this means the standard 12 ft between floors. Nobody wants to pay a $500k or more for a place with 8ft ceilings. This is a minimum 408 feet and usually the lobby floor and 2nd floor are usually 35-40 ft combined. So we are talking 450 ft and even higher if they decide to add a spire. This is considerably taller than capital center.

Let's see what happens. I seem to remember Greenville talking about their new "state's tallest" about a year ago and we see what happened with that.

Let's see what happens. I seem to remember Greenville talking about their new "state's tallest" about a year ago and we see what happened with that.

Yep, I think we're all reeling over that one up here, though if you're familiar with Gville it is not a surprise at all. But I also have to say I think that it would be pretty pathetic if Cola actually added floors to a buildign they would otherwise demo, just to keep it the tallest buildign in the state.

Yep, I think we're all reeling over that one up here, though if you're familiar with Gville it is not a surprise at all. But I also have to say I think that it would be pretty pathetic if Cola actually added floors to a buildign they would otherwise demo, just to keep it the tallest buildign in the state.

Ummmm, he was joking; Capitol Center is neither in danger of being demo'd or in danger of having floors added. CC wouldn't be bad if it was reclad, I eat lunch in one of the restaurants there alot and the interior is cool.

In terms of floors, Myrtle Beach already has the tallest building in the state as the Margate Tower has 29 floors to the CC's 25. And currently 2nd tallest in height in the state at 329 feet. This is just the start as they continue to redevelop property now that the city has removed restrictions that have held down height for so long.

Margate%2003%20091-large.jpg

In terms of floors, Myrtle Beach already has the tallest building in the state as the Margate Tower has 29 floors to the CC's 25. And currently 2nd tallest in height in the state at 329 feet. This is just the start as they continue to redevelop property now that the city has removed restrictions that have held down height for so long.

Margate%2003%20091-large.jpg

I stayed in the Margate Tower on the 25th floor in January!!! It's basically the same height as the capitol center. it was beautiful!

And just what has happened?

The building last I heard from an inside source was being redesigned. It's certainly not dead if that's what you're implying.

And just what has happened?

The building last I heard from an inside source was being redesigned. It's certainly not dead if that's what you're implying.

I'm implying that it has been put on the back burner and will probably never be built. Sales were almost non-existent.

Given that most high rise construction in American cities now seems to be residential or hotel, I would guess that Myrtle Beach has the best chance of getting some decent sized high rises in the coming years. There is no real market for large office towers in SC right now (or places like Atlanta for that matter). And the existence of a market for truly high rise residential in the state's big three cities has not yet been proven.

Archived