• Portsmouth, NH
    • Providence, RI
    • Newport, RI
  2. 2. Worst use of the Waterfront

• New Haven, CT
    • Concord, NH
    • Hartford, CT
    • Sprigfield, MA

Now burying I-91 and I-84 in downtown Hartford would do wonders for the city and we all know that....but pigs will fly before that happens.

I don't think decking over a small portion of I-91, say between the convention ctr and the current pedestrian deck, is that all unrealistic. Private developers in Boston are building a huge condo development over the Mass Pike near Fenway called Columbus Center.

http://www.boston.com/news/specials/columb...r/flash_graphic

Entice developers with some public subsidies and I'd say it's very plausible.

• 3 months later...

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

New Haven's waterfront is not that bad - overall, it's actually more accessible than any of the cities you've listed on this thread. Near the downtown, you have I-95/I-91 interchange, of course, but if you just ride your bike about 10-20 minutes in any direction, you have some of the longest public waterfronts in the Northeast. The beaches and coves around New Haven are absolutely beautiful, with a large number of rocky outcroppings of pink granite. The only coastline that compares, in the Northeast, is the coast of Maine.

Also, even within New Haven itself, there are a number of other waterfronts because three rivers run through the city. The waterfronts of these rivers are for the most part highly accessible. There are canoe launches throughout the city, and the parks department sponsors free canoeing every weekend. The city is surrounded by a beautiful ring of 19th century parks, many of which include the river system. All in all, New Haven's detractors are mostly people who drive through and pass a few oil tanks, not the people who live in the beautiful neighborhoods that are close to the water, such as Wooster Square or East Shore.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Some of the best that were left out....

Boston, at least the North End, Charles river section was a lovely place to walk...

Hoboken ( I know it isn't in New England) and the unparalleled view of the Manhattan skyline just steps from the train station.

Fells Point in Baltimore is up there too, has to be one of the best urban waterfronts, Annapolis too..hard to beat eating lunch from the public market next to the docks.

Some of the best that were left out....

Boston, at least the North End, Charles river section was a lovely place to walk...

Hoboken ( I know it isn't in New England) and the unparalleled view of the Manhattan skyline just steps from the train station.

Fells Point in Baltimore is up there too, has to be one of the best urban waterfronts, Annapolis too..hard to beat eating lunch from the public market next to the docks.

• 1 month later...

I'm thinking perhaps I-95 being right near the Sound in New Haven is a mixed blessing. Sure, it being right near the water cuts the beach off from the rest of the city. But then again, look at what's on the other side of I-95. Office buildings, light industrial, etc... If I-95 wasn't there, what would the land use be right on the waterfront? Would it look something embarrassing like the oil tanks near the Q-Bridge heading towards East Haven?

Archived