Richmond Coffee House

JWCJ

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Burt, I've never thought the arts would single-handedly rescue downtown. It's not like we have Broadway (the actual road) here. They could very well book more acts to the Coliseum and Convention Center if that were to be the case. Business people need to stop being yellow, grow some, and take a risk. There needs to be a bigger draw than pawn shops and resturants. If they can pump money into farmland they can surely pump money into downtown to make it the best place it can be. But no one is willing to come to bat.

Cadeho has a point. Big venues are cool and fun and stuff, but they rarely create or sustain growth on their lonesome. What made MacArthur Mall so successful was the 20 year revitalization which built up a good critical mass which meant that MacArthur was a perfect way to announce to the world the downtown norfolk was back open for business.

At the end of the day, the real salvation comes from ground-level business/commerce. And good bars.

Cadeho has a point. Big venues are cool and fun and stuff, but they rarely create or sustain growth on their lonesome. What made MacArthur Mall so successful was the 20 year revitalization which built up a good critical mass which meant that MacArthur was a perfect way to announce to the world the downtown norfolk was back open for business.

At the end of the day, the real salvation comes from ground-level business/commerce. And good bars.

You're right, Mercuex, about big entertainment venues not sustaining growth by themselves. But in light of ongoing improvements such as M&R hotel, Berry Burk, improved streetscapes, removal of 6th Street Marketplace, the Federal Court House, Phillip Morris Research Lab, and new center city housing, the renovation and opening of the Carpenter Center cannot help but brighten downtown's quality of life. All of the combined enhancements will lure retail to the Broad/Grace corridor.

There's already talk of a "major retailer" anchoring the Carpenter Center at the former Thalhimer's Broad Street site.

Speciba! And enjoy Tiblisi. :)

haha! Harasho! Dzalian didi madlobt, megobaro.

Major retailer?! (drool) Any rumors or predictions?? Please let it be an FAO Shwartz lol

Otlichno! Ochen' horosho govorite po-gruzinski.

I'll let you know if and when we hear anything about the retailer for downtown.

But it will be in English. :lol:

More coffee house language please?

So can Doug be blamed for northside's flooding? I don't think so. The line broke, it's not his fault.

I don't think that you can blame a mayor for natural disasters. You can imagine the things it would take and funding to fix these major problems, along with the political crap following behind it. It takes decades to fix these problems. But I guess it goes along with the guy who built his house on the beach saying though. Its also hard to knock down history even though they built in a flood zone like the Shockoe bottom and DT Norfolk. You would have all the historical preservation people going nuts on the city!

Sorry burt, but I don't know Russian (as you probably guessed). What I'm learning here is this ancient and almost completely isolated language called Kartuli (otherwise known as Georgian). It's unrelated to Russian, Azeri, Turkish, Armenian ... the closest relative linguists THINK it MAY POSSIBLY have is ... Basque. So ... yeah ...

:thumbsup:

Being away for awhile is sort of cool because when I get back in two years, there will be all these new things and I can stare gape-eyed at all of them in wonderment. Not the same if you watch it being built over time.

Sorry burt, but I don't know Russian (as you probably guessed). What I'm learning here is this ancient and almost completely isolated language called Kartuli (otherwise known as Georgian). It's unrelated to Russian, Azeri, Turkish, Armenian ... the closest relative linguists THINK it MAY POSSIBLY have is ... Basque. So ... yeah ...

Being away for awhile is sort of cool because when I get back in two years, there will be all these new things and I can stare gape-eyed at all of them in wonderment. Not the same if you watch it being built over time.

It's so nice to see a new name around here, mercuex - welcome, my friend. I just wanted to personally welcome you to the Richmond forum! :thumbsup:

Nice to meet you too man. Basque! that's odd, basque is spoken in NW Spain and SW France. They must be related to Gypcies.

What I think about blaming Doug is (you can do in in some cases but not everything, It's a natral disaster for pete's sake, they people in the Battery Park area know that that park floods almost everytime that it rain hard or for a long time.

Edited by JWCJ

They could improve the drainage for these areas but that can really kill the city budget and it would be very expensive. So I believe there isn't too much the city can do for a quick resolution. You have the people screaming about being flooded and then you would alot of people screaming at how much it would cost to fix the drainage there.

It amazes me how Richmonders think natural drainage such as valleys and ravines aren't supposed to flood.

Well alot of people assume because they are above sea level that they are not going to flood. And you see that their assumptions are wrong. When people purchase a place they don't think about flooding or do any research to the history of flooding in that neighborhood

The thing is, most of Richmond is up on hills where water would flow down into the many valleys. Battery Park itself is in a ravine and some of the areas affected were on built on filled land or former dumps. And in regards to Shockoe Bottom, being at the end of a large drainage area just loses some people.

The thing is, most of Richmond is up on hills where water would flow down into the many valleys. Battery Park itself is in a ravine and some of the areas affected were on built on filled land or former dumps. And in regards to Shockoe Bottom, being at the end of a large drainage area just loses some people.

It doesn't necessarily "lose" people how natural drainage works. What loses people is why the city continuously promotes The Bottom for development, but then when it floods just says "Oh, well, the drains did what they were supposed to, but it's a flood plain, what did you expect?" Like I said before: maybe we shouldn't have built in the place(s) to begin with, but we did. And now that we have "Oh, it's a drainage area" isn't an acceptable answer.

If you build on a swamp, you might expect conditions to get swampy every once in a while. Look at how DC can flood in heavy rains. We humans just have a knack for building in nature's way, then we're expected to tame her when we really can't.