Best Skyline in Tennessee

soverbey

Best Skyline in Tennessee  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Which city has the best skyline density?

• Memphis
    • Nashville
    • Knoxville
    • Chattanooga
    • Tri-Cities
  2. 2. Which city has the best architectural design/variation in its downtown?

• Memphis
    • Nashville
    • Knoxville
    • Chattanooga
    • Tri-Cities
  3. 3. Which city has the best vertical impressiveness?

• Memphis
    • Nashville
    • Knoxville
    • Chattanooga
    • Tri-Cities

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will rephrase the question. Is anything new that is currently under construction at the time that is changing the skyline. I don't know how condo conversions can add to the skyline. Are they adding more up to date lighting or someone to that extent to these conversions that would make a difference in the skyline?

I will rephrase the question. Is anything new that is currently under construction at the time that is changing the skyline. I don't know how condo conversions can add to the skyline. Are they adding more up to date lighting or someone to that extent to these conversions that would make a difference in the skyline?

• 1 month later...

That is what I was wondering too Hank. I live in Bristol and while it has the most "verticle impressiveness" I think of the three Tri-Cities, I do not think they rate tops, unless you like smaller buildings. You and "Emporis" is correct- the tallest buildings in the area are 10-11 stories high. Bristol has three that are around 10-11 stories high, one that is about 9 stories high and another that is about 7 stories- then of course- several that are 3-6 stories tall. Johnson City only has a couple that are 10-11 stories and a couple more that are 8-9 high? I am guessing here.

Rumor has it ( I do not know how true it is) that Bristol may be getting a 20+ story skyscraper that will be a "super hotel". There was also a rumor around that a 12-15 story complex would be built as a "low budget housing". But only rumors mind you.... probably like the one that said we were supposed to get a 5 story parking garage in the downtown area - I have yet to see that.... maybe after we are dead and gone? :unsure:

How on earth did the Tri-Cities get three votes for best vertical impressiveness for their skylines? Hard to figure. :unsure: According to Emporis, there are no buildings in the Tri-cities area taller than 10 stories. Nashville has at least 100 buildings taller than 10 stories and at least a dozen more on the way.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I grew up in Arkansas and coming across the river at Memphis was always exciting to me. Memphis was alot bigger than Little Rock, so I always felt like I was coming to the big city. Then...I came to Nashville for the first time in the 90's and was blown away. It feels like home and has a beautiful looking downtown.

I like Memphis...and I hear what you Memphians are saying about proposed projects that will cach you up with Nashville...but don't forget that Nashville is having an explosion of building right now...with probably at least a dozen new proposals on the table. Right now...Suntrust Bldg, Encore, Viridian (just finished), Velocity, Icon, Terrazo, Adelecia (topping out) and looking like the two-tower West End Summitt may be starting up. Also proposed for a Westin Hotel (approved), W Hotel, a tower at Demonbreun and I-24, another tower in SoBro and of course...the 1000' Signature Tower.

I grew up in Arkansas and coming across the river at Memphis was always exciting to me. Memphis was alot bigger than Little Rock, so I always felt like I was coming to the big city. Then...I came to Nashville for the first time in the 90's and was blown away. It feels like home and has a beautiful looking downtown.

I like Memphis...and I hear what you Memphians are saying about proposed projects that will cach you up with Nashville...but don't forget that Nashville is having an explosion of building right now...with probably at least a dozen new proposals on the table. Right now...Suntrust Bldg, Encore, Viridian (just finished), Velocity, Icon, Terrazo, Adelecia (topping out) and looking like the two-tower West End Summitt may be starting up. Also proposed for a Westin Hotel (approved), W Hotel, a tower at Demonbreun and I-24, another tower in SoBro and of course...the 1000' Signature Tower.

I do not think that Memphis will ever catch up or even compete with Nashville as far as a skyline goes. The Memphis Downtown is not the Central Business District. It does not have the demand for office space that allows for the construction of major office buildings. It will continue to rehab older buildings and build one to two major buildings per decade or two. That being said, there are few cities that have the dramatic change from cotton fields to city sid-by-side that you have in Memphis. They are different cities with different strong points. You mentioned Little Rock. I think that Little Rock will have a much more impressive skyline than Memphis in a few years. I am happy that you feel comfortable in Nashville and that it feels like home. It does have an impressive skyline at this point in time. I do not consider that to be the most important feature in a city or a downtown. It is a point of pride to many though and I think that that is great.

I like that view too, coming from Little Rock or St Louis. I don't think that you can say Memphis will never catch up to Nashville. Nashville is going through a building boom just like what Memphis had in the 70's. That being said, Nashvilles boom will eventually end. Memphis is also having a boom but its just starting. We have a few proposals and it will only be time before it starts to pick up. I'm not trying to say that Memphis is better then Nashville or that our skyline will be better then yours anytime soon. I blame the Mississippi river, TDOT, and evil people for uncentralized base that downtown is. Hopefully Arkansas picks up the slack and it becomes the center but thats unlikely.

Good luck with the proposals(especially that 1000fter). It will give me something to look forward too when I pass through.

TDOT makes a lot of mistakes statewide. I think it's interesting that TDOT is supposed to widen I-240 in Memphis to 8 lanes but has yet to really make any progress with it, except for about a 3-4 mile segment b/w Nonconnah and Lamar. It's interesting that pretty much all of Nashville's interstates with the exception of I-440 are 8 lanes.....why the disparity?

I like that view too, coming from Little Rock or St Louis. I don't think that you can say Memphis will never catch up to Nashville. Nashville is going through a building boom just like what Memphis had in the 70's. That being said, Nashvilles boom will eventually end. Memphis is also having a boom but its just starting. We have a few proposals and it will only be time before it starts to pick up. I'm not trying to say that Memphis is better then Nashville or that our skyline will be better then yours anytime soon. I blame the Mississippi river, TDOT, and evil people for uncentralized base that downtown is. Hopefully Arkansas picks up the slack and it becomes the center but thats unlikely.

Good luck with the proposals(especially that 1000fter). It will give me something to look forward too when I pass through.

• 5 months later...

Archived