Southern Photos of the Day

TBurban

Great photos of Shreveport SBCmetroguy! I remember my last time through Shreveport (several years back) thinking how urban the downtown felt. There was an old department store building (closed) but still with the name on it...Selbers? Felt very "big city". Lots of great architecture. :thumbsup:

Yeah, Selber's. Being only 26 I don't remember the place but I've read and heard a lot about that store, Palais Royale, Rubenstein's, and other local department stores. They were the huge local department stores that were really popular in the 60s and before. At one point there was even a 5-story Sears down there. The largest Sears store we have right now is a 3-story location at Mall St. Vincent.

Oh, and thanks for the compliments on my fair city! :) That always brings a smile to my face.

Here's my contribution for today. It's one I took from my car a few days ago.

The Georgia Capitol and Other Atlanta Buildings

159617290_3665de2fcc_b.jpg

(L-R) The Capitol Dome, The Westin Peachtree, Georgia-Pacific's HQ, and 191 Peachtree

What do you guys think?

Edited by ironchapman

Here's my contribution for today. It's one I took from my car a few days ago.

The Georgia Capitol and Other Atlanta Buildings

159617290_3665de2fcc_b.jpg

(L-R) The Capitol Dome, The Westin Peachtree, Georgia-Pacific's HQ, and 191 Peachtree

What do you guys think?

Hmmm what do I think...

Not bad at all!

I like Atlanta's overall look and I love that capitol. Never seen that particular capitol before, but it's very nice. I've never been to Atlanta, though I enjoy it in photos. It's on my list, dangit, but my list is long. :D

Cool Angle! Looks like a beautiful building from down here!

Thanks...it's one of my favorite buildings downtown...

Here's a few from Richmond's Historic Church Hill Neighborhood... a little after this past Christmas:

Richmond1-8-06095.jpg

Richmond1-8-06080.jpg

Richmond1-8-06061.jpg

Liberty or Death anyone?

Richmond1-8-06071.jpg

Richmond1-8-06087.jpg

and looking east from Libby Hill Park in Church Hill:

Richmond1-8-06084.jpg

Richmond's Crown Jewel - The James River

From Belle Isle, adjacent to downtown

Richmond3-11-2006066.jpg

Richmond3-11-2006060.jpg

Spun around

Richmond3-11-2006069.jpg

Richmond3-11-2006063.jpg

Richmond3-11-2006068.jpg

Great photos!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup: I've always loved the river in Richmond and all the downtown redevelopment Richmond has done along the river has been very impressive!

Great photos!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup: I've always loved the river in Richmond and all the downtown redevelopment Richmond has done along the river has been very impressive!

Thanks... the riverfront is THE place at the moment... And Speaking of Convention Centers, how about a few of the Greater Richmond Convention Center? At 700,000sf, it's Virginia's largest:

From the 5th st side:

Richmond4-28-2006048.jpg

Richmond4-28-2006043.jpg

Richmond4-28-2006042.jpg

I really like Richmond's convention center. It doesn't have that large, hulking, imposing, intimidating presence that seems so typical of convention centers. It blends in with its surroundings and addresses the street rather well. In that regard it reminds me a bit of DC's convention center.

What's Shockoe Slip? :D

:D Shockoe Slip is an area of old warehouses left over from the industrialization era and beyond. Now, they have been converted into shops, restaurants, and lofts. Theyre all on a big hill leading into Shockoe Bottom and the Canal Walk, which are also areas of older buildings converted into shops and restaurants and lofts :thumbsup:

Here's a shot looking up the Slip :thumbsup:

DSC01202.jpg