COMPLETE: The Old Public Safety Surface Lot

have you seen the building? it's really not all that attractive even if it is "historic". yes, the overhead doors can be made into something "creative", but to be honest, after what i've heard of the description of the new design... the facade and overhead doors won't really fit in.

i don't care if members of the WBNA or any other neighborhood group want to weigh in. their opinions are no less valid. if people would actually read my posts, you'd see what i've been trying to say.

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my last post was more a poke at the constant NIMBYism that RI is FAMOUS for. I think we all should have a say (and have the right to say it by law) about projects that effect the region. I understand that people who physically live closer to projects might be impacted more, but that shouldn't overrule the overall positives a project will bring to greater populus. I mean anyone with an alphabet soup association name squeeks about things they (often) aren't even educated about and it creates mass hysteria - it's just sickening to me, thats all.

"That building will be too tall and it will hurt the fabric of my neighborhood."

"The runway doesn't need to be any longer."

"We don't need a container port at Quonset."

Where the hell do these people want ANY economic development to come from? They are the same ones to complain about rising taxes, declining services, and the lack of political interest - gee, I wonder why??

new roads, jobs, and a larger tax base has to come from somewhere...

Lets just scare away all of the investment for crying out loud!

I can assure you that I read your posts, and I see the building all the time. Just last night I was at trinity and afterward spent some time walking around the building. I only had two pints so my eyesight was probably still good. :)

I think this issue here is creativity. The building is not attractive now, I totally agree. By retaining certain elements and being creative, it can be attractive while still retaining a sense of what it was. The fact that the facade and overhead doors do not fit into the TPG design...well that should not deter anyone from advocating for a new design that DOES incorporate the current building if that is what they want.

I'd like to see some effort to do that, or some documentation of the effort spent to determine that it was not a feasible idea. Primarily though, Id like to see some development there and a nice tall building that interacts with the street makes me a happy person.

If you can incorporate the current building, thats great. If not, then be prepared to be more specific about why it cannot be. Simply having overhead doors and needing to fill in that space should be seen as a design challenge, not a deterrent.

+

dude, if they wanted to incorporate the facade, the new design would reflect that. they simply don't give a fig. Designers, and architects are pretty darn creative! The developer isn't interested in doing anything creative, he just wants to make money, which is why we need people to stand up and say "save the cod-damn facade!" or similar words to that effect.

An article I posted in the Manhatten forum.

Donald Does Downtown

Preservationists concerned about impact of 45-foot Trump Hotel / Condo in SoHo Donald Trump is moving downtown. During the May 5 finale of his television show The Apprentice, the developer announced that winner Sean Yazbeck of Britain would work with him on a 45-story hotel condominium at 246 Spring Street, at the corner of Varick Street, tentatively called the Trump SoHo.

Neighbors and community groups in SoHo, Greenwich Village, and TriBeCa are up in arms over the project and have been fighting it for months. The problem for the project

Having seen more than a tiny pea sized rendering myself I'd have to say it is neither ugly nor uninspired, but actually quite nice. It needs much refining from it's current preliminary state, but it's well on it's way to going in the right direction. I'd just like it to be another 100 feet taller.

In truth its unlikely any reduction in height had anything to do with what the public had to say. You really think if they felt they could make money off those floors they would simply reduce them because of some West Broadway group? These are the same developers who are putting up a 380 foot tower a few blocks away.

I'm sure the reduction has more to do with markets, cost and design changes. Everyone needs to remember EVERY render to date is only a concept of what the real render will look like.

In truth its unlikely any reduction in height had anything to do with what the public had to say. You really think if they felt they could make money off those floors they would simply reduce them because of some West Broadway group? These are the same developers who are putting up a 380 foot tower a few blocks away.

I'm sure the reduction has more to do with markets, cost and design changes. Everyone needs to remember EVERY render to date is only a concept of what the real render will look like.

Archived