COMPLETE: The Old Public Safety Surface Lot

Call me crazy, but I like it.

Of course, if 15 stories is the best we can do in that area of the city, we're never going to get that gas station built on -- not anything of note, anyway. Which is a pity, because I think that is just the perfect site for a (full-size!) Providence version of Atlanta's Westin Peachtree. :rofl:

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did anyone notice in the site plan that it shows and mentions a "historic wall" in the middle of the building which is curved? What would this be?

The back part of the building (facing the library) is structured parking and in the rendering is a framed grid of some material (concrete?, stauxn?). In my opinion, it has a bland repetitive look similar to that of the facade of the Civic Center parking garage or really any parking garage built in that time period. Perhaps they could use the existing Public Safety wall for the exterior of that portion of the building?

I still have a Banknorth account from my time in Worcester. My sister works for them and I've always nagged her that they don't have any branches in RI but are moving out as far as New Jersey. I'd love to not have to go to N. Attleboro to deposit a check.

I also found it strange that there's only two TD BankNorth ATMs in all of Boston, and neither is anywhere near the "TD BankNorth" Garden. You'd think they'd pop some ATMs around there..

I still have a Banknorth account from my time in Worcester. My sister works for them and I've always nagged her that they don't have any branches in RI but are moving out as far as New Jersey. I'd love to not have to go to N. Attleboro to deposit a check.

I also found it strange that there's only two TD BankNorth ATMs in all of Boston, and neither is anywhere near the "TD BankNorth" Garden. You'd think they'd pop some ATMs around there..

unless I am missing some TD Banknorth is in CT, MA, ME, NH, VT, NY, PA, and NJ. So they have all of new england and the tri-state area except for RI, does that make it more possible, and is there any reason why it has/is taking so long? Is it the that there is no room with citizens/boa/soveriegn?

I really don't care if the building comes down as long as something good goes in its place. The Public Safety Building doesn't really do a whole lot for me. Really, just this detail on Fountain is worth much in my mind.

pubsafefacade.jpg

Of course having it hidden on Fountain doesn't make much sense, so I'd like to see it moved to the LaSalle Square side of the garage structure. I could see it being the main entrance for a restaurant off the square. I thought maybe it could be moved to Broadway and be the main entrance to the office building itself, but it is not really large enough for that. Here's a very crude mock up of what it could look like on the LaSalle Square facade.

eab-rendering_with_ps_facad.jpg

I'd recycle stone from the rest of the building to finish that facade with ample windows (it would be nice to have all floors facing the square occupied rather than being a garage behind a facade). The use more of the stone along the other sides (Fountain and Green) of the garage in a more modern vertical orientation interspersed with whatever screening the garage needs. I'm not liking the horizontal lines on the garage or the base of the tower. I would not use the recycled stone or similar looking stauxn on the rest of the building (the woer portion), I'd rather they (the garage and the tower) appear to be seperate buildings. That could mean changing the detail stauxn on the tower to brick, or to some other stone/stauxn like perhaps what is seen on the Citizens building.

• 1 month later...

the EDC recently updated their description of this project:

was:

"development of a 500,000 s.f., 22 story office tower, 522 space parking garage, 25,000 s.f. reatil"

now:

"development of a 500,000 s.f., 20 story office tower, 325,000-350,000 s.f. office space & parking garage for 440 cars."

nothing earth shattering, just though to pass on the update...

Archived