Columbia Transit

JT Boy

I've never ridden the trolley, but I see them shuttling people around sometimes between The Vista and 5 Points.

As far as I know, this info is current...

http://www.columbiacvb.com/transportation_details.asp?id=337

Transportation_Pic_2.jpg

If only they hadn't dismantled the rail-based trolley system way back when... :)

Edited by emerging.me

• 3 months later...

Just last weekend I rode the trolley-bus in downtown Greenville. There are three different trolleys. One goes on North Main, the second goes to the west end/Falls Park, and the third goes down Augusta St to Augusta Place. Anyways, on a rainy Saturday, it was pretty full, at least the 6 times I saw the trolley. They are nice to they get around, but I'd rather utilize rail based system on Main St. Not only do they carry more people, but they will be more attractive than an older bus based system.

Or perhaps making Main St a Pedestrian Only Zone, IE Buffalo, and Calgary. Actually, I was in Buffalo over the summer, and I really enjoyed the mall area. All the experts say that it was an utter failure because no one rides. Well, with the exception of NYC, the entire state has been losing business and people. Everyone is moving down here. That said, we've started to really make downtown the go-to place in the area, and if the city were to close traffic one weekend and offer free parking at the two garages, with bus or trolley service, and see how well it works. I think that would be a great idea actually.

Or perhaps making Main St a Pedestrian Only Zone, IE Buffalo, and Calgary. Actually, I was in Buffalo over the summer, and I really enjoyed the mall area. All the experts say that it was an utter failure because no one rides. Well, with the exception of NYC, the entire state has been losing business and people. Everyone is moving down here.  That said, we've started to really make downtown the go-to place in the area, and if the city were to close traffic one weekend and offer free parking at the two garages, with bus or trolley service, and see how well it works. I think that would be a great idea actually.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I find it very annoying that the Spring St garage is not free on nights and weekends, while the Richardson st garage is.

If they were to do that, they would need to have trolleys passing by every 5 minutes or so. Downtown is small enough that I'm willing to walk the length of it to get where I want to go. Everything is either on or just off of Main. That said, I wouldn't walk to the West End. So a trolley might be a good way to increase business in that area.

• 1 month later...

The original trolley in Columbia ran from approximately 1890 to 1936, I believe, before being replaced by buses. (why oh why couldn't they have kept the trolleys?) I know one line ran up Main Street from the State House to Hyatt Park, which is only a few blocks from where I live. This would be a very successful route today, although I think it should run all the way up Main to Blythewood and serve as a commuter train from Blythewood. Many people along Main would use it because there are so many colleges in the area: Columbia College, The Lutheran Seminary, South University and even Columbia International if a spur ran up Monticello Road. Originally, a trolley line also ran through the Vista and down to Olympia and Five Points into Shandon. Today, those routes could be revived along with a route down to Williams-Brice stadium. Think about all of the use the trolley would get for Carolina home football games! A line should also run all the way out Two Noth Road to the Village at Sandhill and on to Camden, out Forest Drive to Fort Jackson and out Devine Street/Garners Ferry Road all the way to Sumter. (yes, I think big!) I think a route out 126/26 to Harbison and Irmo would do well and one to the airport would be awesome. A route circling downtown around Elmwood, Harden, Blossom (University) and Huger Street would be terrific. I think it is way past time for us to have light rail/trolley service again.

Saluda Ave in Five Points used to be centered by a trolley line that served Shandon. I know that if there were a trolley to 5pts and the Vista I would use it. Actually, If there were one to Harbison and/or Two Notch I would go out to those places much more. I abhor driving to those areas.

I think that once downtown gets enough residents there might be a demand for these types of serves to serve them going out, then once they are out there they would be used by suburban commuters to come into town.

I think light rail in Columbia would be pretty cool, and I would love too see it happen! Unfortunatlely I don't think the place has the density to pull it off yet. Of the SC cities I can see Myrtle Beach pulling it off b/c eventhough it's not huge it's pretty congested there year round, and there is enough activity there to keep something like that going (If it's cheap of course). I remeber when I lived there (2001) traffic was always congested. I lived in Cherry Grove (N. Myrtle) and worked just north of Garden City it was about a 25 mile drive and it took me an hour to get there, but then again that was before the Carolina Byways or Parkway was built. Anyway I could see it going to Boadway at the beach, Murrell's Inlet, downtown/Pavilion, Coastal Mall/Outlet stores, Hard Rock Cafe themepark (what ever happened to that anyway?), etc... In Columbia there are just so many interstates and major roads that intersect the city! Those in the fast growing burbs of NE, and Lexington won't be willing to give up to old automobile at least I think. But in about 15-20 years once Columbia breaks that 1million metro mark who knows but they will need alot more residents in the core and the immediate areas around the city, just my take? I figure we should watch Charlotte and see how successful it is there, find out if it's really worth it or not.

Since we're dreaming... How about this? ... 

Monorail! :) Lines running into the heart of the city. Stations at I-26's Peak exit, I-77 at Blythewood Rd, I-20 at Clemson Rd., a route to I-20 at South Lake Drive in Lexington and one from the airport.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL, Sounds great! It will be like that old Simpsons episode! Monorail, monorail, monorail!

I've thought about it for years, but I just drew that up a few minutes ago this evening. There are alot of dense neighborhoods close to downtown that, IMO, would love to have trolley service. I would love to take the trolley to basketball and football games and for going out to dinner. Going to work would be a little more difficult because I'm always running late in the morning. :)

Nice map there. Thats very ambitious :) The advantage Columbia has is that for express rail lines there is already existing rail going in almost ever direction form town that coudl be utilized. Most specifically to Irmo and then along Two Notch. There are some old rail beds downtown (The Lincoln st tunnel) that could surely be used some way.