Columbia Transit

JT Boy

If you suggested the name in a public forum you might be out of luck.  I'm not sure how that works.  You could ask an attorney.

Yeah my Uncle told me to do the same thing. hes like a Pro when it comes to the law. i will check that out. I really just want the reconition really I dont need millions of dollars. just I want people to know that Julius T. Williams was the young buck who helped change the City of Columbia for good.

thats all im asking for.

• 2 weeks later...

You can probably just call them and ask. It could be a good piece of "transit news" to highlight you and your interest in transit and the city in general. Unless you have a copyright (or trademark or whatever) on the term, you can't force them to do anything, not would you be eligible to make any money off of it (as though they have any to begin with- ha!).

I've had some free time on my hands, and the drawings below came from the ensuing daydreaming. I think someday, Columbia and cities of similar size in the US will have some kind of rail transit. When? Who knows. But it's fun to play around with the idea. I started the drawings below trying to be marginally realistic (have lines follow existing roads or existing rail lines). If Columbia got a transit system, I think most of it would be above ground light rail or trams, but maybe some downtown parts like under Gervais or Main St could be underground.

I think something like this would be difficult to be successful without Columbia also building a commuter rail system to places like Camden, Newberry, Lexington, etc. Then commuters could actually get from distant places to their jobs downtown or football games. I imagine the large rail junction south of Blossom next to the Greek Village would be a natural place for a "Columbia Central Station" with Amtrak and commuter lines. Columbia has an extensive existing rail network. CSX and other rail companies would probably never sell these lines or allow passenger trains on them, but it is easy to see how the exising rail goes to the right places.

Also, I'm not saying any of this is politically possible, that there's demand for it now, or that Midlands residents would ever choose to spend their taxes on transit, but in the future (who knows when) maybe this could happen. Either way, it's interesting to think about the possibilities. 

I've had some free time on my hands, and the drawings below came from the ensuing daydreaming. I think someday, Columbia and cities of similar size in the US will have some kind of rail transit. When? Who knows. But it's fun to play around with the idea. I started the drawings below trying to be marginally realistic (have lines follow existing roads or existing rail lines). If Columbia got a transit system, I think most of it would be above ground light rail or trams, but maybe some downtown parts like under Gervais or Main St could be underground.

I think something like this would be difficult to be successful without Columbia also building a commuter rail system to places like Camden, Newberry, Lexington, etc. Then commuters could actually get from distant places to their jobs downtown or football games. I imagine the large rail junction south of Blossom next to the Greek Village would be a natural place for a "Columbia Central Station" with Amtrak and commuter lines. Columbia has an extensive existing rail network. CSX and other rail companies would probably never sell these lines or allow passenger trains on them, but it is easy to see how the exising rail goes to the right places.

Also, I'm not saying any of this is politically possible, that there's demand for it now, or that Midlands residents would ever choose to spend their taxes on transit, but in the future (who knows when) maybe this could happen. Either way, it's interesting to think about the possibilities. 

i drew a similar map but it goes further ou the city of columbia and a few other authrories are actually planning a commuter rail line that runs from Columbia to Newberry Columbia to Batesburg-Leesville and Columbia to Camden. honestly they should added Columbia to Sumter.  my idea also includes a Underground part thats directly under main st. from USC to blythwood.

i can post a picture of my map if you want me too its very similar to yours.

Edited by growingup15

• 1 year later...

An end to train delays in the Midlands?

http://www.thestate.com/2014/09/25/3704530/midlands-leaders-press-for-state.html?sp=/99/205/&ihp=1

It's about time!

(I don't know why the full link doesn't copy here, but just go to the State paper for the article).

I'm loving the project of making a new entrance to cola metro airport. sounds like a great idea

• 2 weeks later...

So?

Has anyone heard anything in awhile from the City or County about the whole proposed Commuter Rail or Light Rail Transit idea they've had for awhile in the works? The last time i heard anything about it was after their Penny sale tax thing was past. they talked for a brief moment about future form of transit and I remember having a 1 on 1 meeting with the Director of CMCOG and he gave me this. http://www.centralmidlands.org/COATS_pdf/Commuter%20Rail%20Feasibility%20Study.pdf

then a week later i had a  1on1 with someone at SCDOT and he gave me this.http://www.trainweb.org/capt/brochure/SC_brochure.pdf

I presented both of them with this https://www.flickr.com/photos/25873309@N07/4952425909/ This https://www.flickr.com/photos/25873309@N07/5866872744/ This COMET Rail Line 2011 This  CMRTA Main transit Center

They told me that I was right on track with the ideas i had was very close if not on point to what they was proposing. 

Anyway after that I hear nothing about it. I was wonder are their any meetings with withe city or county coming up soon about the Transit system. because i would love to voice my opinion and bring it up.

Edited by growingup15

So?

Has anyone heard anything in awhile from the City or County about the whole proposed Commuter Rail or Light Rail Transit idea they've had for awhile in the works? The last time i heard anything about it was after their Penny sale tax thing was past. they talked for a brief moment about future form of transit and I remember having a 1 on 1 meeting with the Director of CMCOG and he gave me this. http://www.centralmidlands.org/COATS_pdf/Commuter%20Rail%20Feasibility%20Study.pdf

then a week later i had a  1on1 with someone at SCDOT and he gave me this.http://www.trainweb.org/capt/brochure/SC_brochure.pdf

I presented both of them with this https://www.flickr.com/photos/25873309@N07/4952425909/ This https://www.flickr.com/photos/25873309@N07/5866872744/ This COMET Rail Line 2011 This  CMRTA Main transit Center

They told me that I was right on track with the ideas i had was very close if not on point to what they was proposing. 

Anyway after that I hear nothing about it. I was wonder are their any meetings with withe city or county coming up soon about the Transit system. because i would love to voice my opinion and bring it up.

Wow! You've done some good work. Keep at it. On a slightly related note, I recently saw something about the high speed rail proposed for Florida (it was supposed to have been the nation's best) but the Governor there apparently refused the federal funding, and the project was shelved.

Wow! You've done some good work. Keep at it. On a slightly related note, I recently saw something about the high speed rail proposed for Florida (it was supposed to have been the nation's best) but the Governor there apparently refused the federal funding, and the project was shelved.

Thanks

and yeah i did see that. it kinda made me mad because Florida was going to be the first in america to get the Japanese JR Shinkansens. That would of easily paved a way for GA SC NC and VA to compete and try to make either better lines or complete them to connect with Florida.

Honestly i would love to take a Train from Columbia- Miami on a Shinkansen or a Eurostar or Acela.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Now all this development is going on in Downtown and the surrounding area. has anyone thought about the future of getting those people around. I have and I think its time now for the City to look back into bringing Rail Transit to Columbia. even if it's one line and not the 3 Line commuter Rail idea they had for over 10 years now.

I think if Columbia do what Charlotte did and start with 1 line from maybe from Camden to Downtown or Newberry to Downtown. you know just to start off. I think it would be a start. 

I know the whole fight of CSX and southern Norfolk greedy selves for not wanting to share their tracks. and It will cost the city and more then likely the counties and state more money just to build new rails next to the existing one. but it's something that can be brought back up at least. LRT I believe is ready for Columbia.

The huge economic impacts It will have along with the already existing economic development in and around the city will see great change over the next say 15 years. if they look into it now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The nation's top transportation official says he's more optimistic that high-speed rail will eventually become a reality in the Southeast after Georgia and South Carolina expressed interest in a joint agreement between North Carolina and Virginia to study, coordinate and advocate for the project.

"You look across the country, the Northeast corridor is more than a constellation of states," U.S. Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx told The Associated Press this week. "That multistate coordination just hasn't existed as strongly here in the Southeast. And that would be a really key part of starting something big."

http://www.thestate.com/news/state/south-carolina/article20563902.html

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I was  in Charlotte yesterday and OH MY GOD they have a new Streetcar there. i believe its the new Gold Line.

I was thinking in the wake of Columbia's Development lately I still think a Trolley or Street Car system would be great in Columbia. something that links Downtown to Harbison and also connects all the Main Entertainment districts in downtown. I ca imagine seeing a street car running down Gervais St to Five Points or Running down Assembly turning onto Elmwood connecting the new Columbia Commons and then run down N Main out to past I-20

Just saying. I dont know How Charlottes Street Car is set up and I might need to look into it more but I can see a Street Car system coming to Columbia sooner than a Commuter or Light Rail system. JMO

Streetcars work better as an urban circulator. Charlottes is being set up to circulate people I'm and around uptown in conjunction with the light rail. For Columbia I could see a route that connects the Common to Main St, USC, and The Vista as a viable streetcar link some day. For longer distances, light rail probably makes the most sense.

Streetcars work better as an urban circulator. Charlottes is being set up to circulate people I'm and around uptown in conjunction with the light rail. For Columbia I could see a route that connects the Common to Main St, USC, and The Vista as a viable streetcar link some day. For longer distances, light rail probably makes the most sense.

Makes plenty of sense. street car for downtown starting now and once development grows outside of Columbia. example Sandhills. Killians Crossing, Harbison/Irmo and Lexington then i can see Light Rail expanding off the Downtown Street Cars and out towards other dense areas. I think if any street car circulate through USC Main St Bull st and Like I said N. Main. i can see lots of growth around the street car area. I can see N. Main growing like South Blvd in Charlotte.

Heres the map I made.

I can see 2 street cars traveling in opposite directions in this Main Circle Formation around the city connecting CBC Bull St Harden USC Five Points Innovista Vista and the Main Bus Stop together.

and Future lines connecting Stadium area down Assembly st to Gervais to Main st and All the way down Main st. This is just my idea that I believe would work for the city even in its current state.

18998585563_4473c8ff0f_b.jpg

• 1 month later...

Good article at www.thestate.com on the estimated $800 million plan to address the craziness that is "malfunction junction". Amongst many of the ideas floated (much to my surprise) was commuter rail. :)

This is a very long term project which might not see completion for another eleven years. I agree with the St. Andrews Rd resident who said this work should have been done twenty years ago.

• Like 1

Good article at www.thestate.com on the estimated $800 million plan to address the craziness that is "malfunction junction". Amongst many of the ideas floated (much to my surprise) was commuter rail. :)

This is a very long term project which might not see completion for another eleven years. I agree with the St. Andrews Rd resident who said this work should have been done twenty years ago.

i was just reading that article i wasnt sure if anyone was going to bring it up on here but i guess you wasnt the only one that read it :) I also noticed the Commuter Rail dealio which makes me happy. i went to the first meeting a couple months back and the people from CMCOG  was there talking about Rail transit when i brought i it up to them.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This article from The State reads mostly as the local media trying to drum up controversy. However, there was one interesting nugget that I noticed: "[Senator] Scott said his “transportation management company” provides the city with “technical assistance in light rail, bus routing and administrative direction.”

The mention of light rail is intriguing. I know LRT is something we've talked about here on UP, but this is the first I've heard it mentioned in any official capacity.

This article from The State reads mostly as the local media trying to drum up controversy. However, there was one interesting nugget that I noticed: "[Senator] Scott said his “transportation management company” provides the city with “technical assistance in light rail, bus routing and administrative direction.”

The mention of light rail is intriguing. I know LRT is something we've talked about here on UP, but this is the first I've heard it mentioned in any official capacity.

It was recently brought up in meeting at the Carolina Crossroad Meeting. and its seems to be on a lot of peoples mines now and lot os people want LRT in the city now. even if its 1 Line from like Downtown to Newberry.

Transit is a great idea and out state and country could use more of it.  That being said, at its least expensive, Light Rail currently runs around $20 million per mile, and it's about 40 miles from Columbia to Newberry. You guys can do the math.  Maybe focus on getting a half-way decent bus system first.