Nashville International Airport Development thread

Lexy

So, you ever wondered what happens at our humble airport? I have. I see stuff go into and out of there that just don't make much sense to me. So I decided to embark on a mission to find out every little thing I possibly could. And maybe, just by chance, figure out a way to get up close and personal with a Boeing 747.

Let me just say that the airport here is a HUGE asset for this city's growth. It is my belief that big things may be around the corner once the renovations get underway and are finished five years from now. I can tell you that currently, the airport is seeing rapid growth with passenger numbers climbing to over 9.2 million for last year. That is up from 8.6 million the year before. Of note. BNA grew by 6.5% last year while Memphis grew by 5.5% to 11.4 million. This put's Nashville ahead of (in order) Raleigh/Durham, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Austin, San Antonio & Hartford/Springfield for passenger traffic. With the addition of a second Toronto flight (Air Canada), Philly flight/Denver flight (SWA-WN), and Jetblue (NYC) this place will surely pass the 10 million mark by the end of the decade. There is a $44 million renovation of the terminal and concourses that will start in October and should finish up around 5 years from then. Southwest is a commited airline here as we are fastly becoming one of their fastest growing Focus Cities. (Southwest doens't use hubs as a way of getting you to point A from point B. They use "Focus Cities" which act just like a hub. Nashville has been one for a few years now. They currently have 11 gates at C Terminal.)

American Airlines introduced the 737-800 mainline here a few months ago with their flights to Miami and Los Angeles twice daily. Frontier has gone to ofur a day flights to their hub in Denver and the Saturday flight to Cancun is in full swing. Air Canada has introduced a SECOND flight to Toronto as demand for their other flight increased through the spring (who says hockey doesn't help Nashville's image in Canada?). US Airways continues to fly at near capacity with their fleet of Embraer Jets and 737-400's that fly into here. Delta has been rumored to start back with their 757-200 here again, but that is not a sure thing yet. And the rumor is that Continental will start service here with a 737 as the demand has outgrown their current fleet of CRJ's.

The cargo ramp has seen a lot of activity as well. With the recent completion of a new facility for FedEx, the addition of MD-11's and Airbus 330's will be welcomed to our skies. Currently they use two Cessena double-props for their freight handling. China Airlines is still the largest player in the market with a considerable amount of business going to Dell, they have expanded their reach to other companies throughout the midstate. The future is surely bright for them as they are now on a 6-day a week schedule for Nashville, up from the 4-day a week schedule they started with. BAX Global and DHL have both shown great support in the cargo capabilities of Nashville with their DC-8 and 727's both serving Nashville on a regular basis. The one bad spot is CAT (Custom Air Transport). They were a contractor for UPS and they serviced Nashville daily with their 727's. The company, as of July 6th, ceased operations and parking every plane they owned. UPS will now be flying their (CAT) routes with their own jets. Kitty Hawk (Boeing 737) and Capital Cargo (Boeing 727) are both continuing their succesfull run in the mid-state cargo market as well.

Below are a few of the recent pictures I have taken of some of the above talked about jets. If you are ever in the area, you should check out the overlook. It is really awesome, especially in the morning. Be aware though, it closes after nightfall and they (airport police) will run you off. LOL!!!!

American Airlines 737-800

62470414.rbEebLF3.aamericanairlines737800.jpg

Air Canada

62539457.i7rYvnnU.aaircanadared.jpg

US Airways 737-400

62539197.62YkrMTe.ausairways737landing1a.jpg

Delta MD-88

61329398.adeltalandingsmoke.jpg

Southwest Terminal

62824648.R21qqlyH.aswaterminal1.jpg

Southwest 737-700 "Nevada One"

62816278.ocbFhodj.anevadaone1.jpg

62816503.VRWey03H.aswataxiovercars.jpg

A typical afternoon here

61112256.asouthwestcluster.jpg

China Airlines Cargo 747-409F SCROLL>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

62858165.4IoTOwCg.achinaairlinespan1aWITHBORDER.jpg

China Airlines 747

62858306.Tl116riQ.achinaairlinesupclose2.jpg

Frontier Airlines Airbus 319

62468987.jJMR4o2q.afrontierwalrus.jpg

Northwest Airbus 319

63161067.1tQCOn6G.anwaairbus319a.jpg

Kitty Hawk Aircargo 737

61993417.qwEG0CZw.akittyhawk4.jpg

FedEx MD-10

62012799.CsZnlY8H.afedexdc101a.jpg

ATA Boeing 757 (US Armed Forces Charter)

63154818.i5CMtLDI.aata757closeup3.jpg

Thanks for checking out the thread. A link is in my sig for more pictures. That gallery is updated almost daily with pics, so bookmark it if you like. There is an Antonov-124 (largest cargo ship in the world) expected at the ariport tomorrow morning, so I should have VERY up close pics of it as I plan to got out on the ramp with some airport workers. Well see how that goes, I may be relegated to the observation area instead. ANy other airport news, as there will be a bunch soon, I willshare in this thread. Thanks again!

Michael

Edited by Lexy

Thanks for the info, Lexy...I've always been interested in our airport and aviation in general (I've even been up in our control tower :shades: ). If this trend continues we could become one of the better mid-sized airports in the nation. I think we have a nice facility compared to some of the other airports I've been to.

Also, if ever necessary, the airport owns more land to the east of runway 2R 20L where another runway could be constructed.

Thanks for the info, Lexy...I've always been interested in our airport and aviation in general (I've even been up in our control tower :shades: ). If this trend continues we could become one of the better mid-sized airports in the nation. I think we have a nice facility compared to some of the other airports I've been to.

Also, if ever necessary, the airport owns more land to the east of runway 2R 20L where another runway could be constructed.

Well, there is talk (and it's even in the masterplan) for another runway. There is also talk about extending the cargo runway (20R-02L) over the top of Murfreesboro Road. The latter I see happening faster than the extra runway.

Did y'all read in the City paper about all the revisions and renovations happening to the airport?

Yep. I think this will set us apart, in the future, from traditional airports that we so easily fall in line with now.

I thought the 737-800 had a longer fuselage. The first picture doesn't look like an '800.' Nice pics of BNA. What renovations are going on at the airport? I'm guessing more restaurants, possibly taxiways, and ramp renovations.

That is a 800. American operates a set of 2-800's for two seperate destinations from here.

Here is another perspective, keep in mind the angle from which that first picture was taken too. Makes it look shorter than it really is. Also, check out flightaware.com and you will see the 800 on enroute, arrival, and departure to and from Nashville in the mornings and afternoons.

61110338.aamerican1.jpg

Here is a 700:

62541245.aE7ljJiA.aswabluebird3.jpg

Not a BIG difference in the two, but there is some.

The jet is visibly larger than its Southwest counterparts in person. The difference is very easy to see. Larger fuselage and taller tail fin. It's especially apparent when viewed in line NEXT to a 700 or 500 series.

The renovations are to the terminal and all the councourses. Not to mention the runways get an update, which the international runway is just about finished up with (re-paving and re-lighting job).

Edited by Lexy

Well, since this is the definive plan, I'll repost the City Paper link on upgrades to the airport :thumbsup: .

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cf...p;news_id=50823

Additionally, I am really excited about what's going on with the airport and am interested in seeing how they are going to refocus the security into one area. I personally think we need more moving walkways in the airport to incentivize Frontier or any other airline to makes a mini-hub/focus city. It would be interesting to me to have 2 airlines have a "focus city" here at the same time, I don't really know of any mid-sized cities that have a situation like that (although I am certainly not an expert on airports and air travel, I just love using 'em :D ). Just to be sure, the old Admiral's Club in terminal A is a private club now right? And is the old American Eagle terminal even being used? Last time I went down that way I didnt think it was being used at all...

Well, since this is the definive plan, I'll repost the City Paper link on upgrades to the airport :thumbsup: .

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cf...p;news_id=50823

Additionally, I am really excited about what's going on with the airport and am interested in seeing how they are going to refocus the security into one area. I personally think we need more moving walkways in the airport to incentivize Frontier or any other airline to makes a mini-hub/focus city. It would be interesting to me to have 2 airlines have a "focus city" here at the same time, I don't really know of any mid-sized cities that have a situation like that (although I am certainly not an expert on airports and air travel, I just love using 'em :D ). Just to be sure, the old Admiral's Club in terminal A is a private club now right? And is the old American Eagle terminal even being used? Last time I went down that way I didnt think it was being used at all...

That old terminal is still being used for American Eagle flights to Dallas, Chcago, and St. Louis and Midwest Connections to their hub in Milwaukee. All of the concourses are, to my knowledge, being used in some capacity by airlines now. From my understanding, moving walkways are a part of the renovation plans, especially in Terminal C (Southwest's "hub" terminal). C terminal has three open slots in it (read on in next paragraph).

Here is a comparison: Frontier Airlines has their hub in Denver. They utilize 13 gates at that airport for their flights. Southwest, by contrast, has 11 gates in Nashville and options on three more interminal C. And we are just a "Focus City" for them. See why C will get a lot of attention soon. As will the international terminal, which is Frontiers terminal along with Continental, Air Canada, & United.

Here is the current terminal building as it is BEFORE any hammers or nails are removed and stuck in it. LOL!!!!

International Terminal on the far left Northwest, US Airways, Delta, etc. in the middle and Southwest, American, etc. on the right.

61329227.abnaterminalpan.jpg

Edited by Lexy

That old terminal is still being used for American Eagle flights to Dallas, Chcago, and St. Louis and Midwest Connections to their hub in Milwaukee. All of the concourses are, to my knowledge, being used in some capacity by airlines now. From my understanding, moving walkways are a part of the renovation plans, especially in Terminal C (Southwest's "hub" terminal). C terminal has three open slots in it (read on in next paragraph).

Here is a comparison: Frontier Airlines has their hub in Denver. They utilize 13 gates at that airport for their flights. Southwest, by contrast, has 11 gates in Nashville and options on three more interminal C. And we are just a "Focus City" for them. See why C will get a lot of attention soon. As will the international terminal, which is Frontiers terminal along with Continental, Air Canada, & United.

Here is the current terminal building as it is BEFORE any hammers or nails are removed and stuck in it. LOL!!!!

International Terminal on the far left Northwest, US Airways, Delta, etc. in the middle and Southwest, American, etc. on the right.

Thanks Lexy for the info. How many gates are not being used at all? I had counted 1 or 2 (one didn't even have a jetway) in terminal A. In B I thought there might have been one at the end wasn't being used. I have no idea about terminal C or D since I never go out of there. Just trying to figure out where Frontier could expand their operations from (C would be my choice I guess but Southwest already has a large presence there). Did you have any info on the old Admiral's club? Thanks for the updates!!

Thanks Lexy for the info. How many gates are not being used at all? I had counted 1 or 2 (one didn't even have a jetway) in terminal A. In B I thought there might have been one at the end wasn't being used. I have no idea about terminal C or D since I never go out of there. Just trying to figure out where Frontier could expand their operations from (C would be my choice I guess but Southwest already has a large presence there). Did you have any info on the old Admiral's club? Thanks for the updates!!

To my knowledge there is three in the Southwest terminal that are not being used, and perhaps 1 or 2 more in the rest of the airport. The one without a jetbridge is for Corporate Air/Regions Air. They have a turbo prop that flies into and out of here that you actually have to walk out on the tarmac to board. I think that is the same gate we are talking about. I do know that no one outside of American and Southwest (and maybe Delta) is "locked in" to a gate. They are movable if the need arises.

I'm sorry frankliner, I haven't heard anything about the club. But I will be happy to ask tomorrow while we are down on the runway.

There will be an Antonov 124-100 landing tomorrow moning here for the US Army. They are doing a pick-up and drop-off for them. Casey and I, along with about four others from the Nashville Aviation Photographer Group, will be going out on the actual runway to capture this massive bird as it lands and parks on the cargo ramp. (We are a part of this group and are in tight with Ground Ops. at the airport. They are the ones taking us out there.) I'll post pics tomorrow afternoon.

I'm quite disappointed about them redoing security into one spot because now if the security line is long at the SW terminal you can walk over and go through the other security line and walk back through in front of the Capitol Grille....works every time. Sadly, with the change we will no longer be able to beat the system, but the Nashville restaurants will be good. I was in the Atlanta airport yesterday and I couldn't find iced tea ANYWHERE (quite sad because I had been in Europe for two weeks and was CRAVING it).

Yeah the whole thing surrounding security checkpoints and all is a hot topic that will stir alot of debate in the board rooms I am sure. But I can see the reasoning and all. It will mean a bit of a wait, but in the long run I think it will work out fine.

They didn't have TEA in ATLANTA? Go figure.

Edited by Lexy

Yeah the whole thing surrounding security checkpoints and all is a hot topic that will stir alot of debate in the board rooms I am sure. But I can see the reasoning and all. It will mean a bit of a wait, but in the long run I think it will work out fine.

They didn't have TEA in ATLANTA? Go figure.

Yeah I get back from Italy for two weeks I've been on a 11 hour flight I just really want some southern comfort (tea, not liquour)....and there's NO TEA! Fortuanatly, I got some, but because I went to Chili's....I think it was crystals stirred in water though.

Does anyone know if the runway expansion will add enough length for the Airbus A380? just curious.

By the way, I was at Orlando International last week...wow! They have an automated elevated tram that runs you from the main concourse to your terminal(about 1/4 to 1/2 of a mile). It's actually 2 trams side-by-side that have really cool glass cages at the entrance/exit to prevent injury. It's quite amazing.

Does anyone know if the revamping will bring improvements to the main terminal where you check-in? I flew out of BNA in December, and a few of the check-in counters are basically right there as you walk in...not all, but towards the end, I noticed some of the Southwest counters are right as you walk in to where if a line began to form, people would be outside

The check in gates in Nashville are exactly like those in Atlanta. They are right as you walk in the door. Depending on which door you walk in, you might be right in front of the Continental, Northwest, Delta, or Southwest ticket booths. The ticket booths used to be further back towards the wall, but that changed recently, I guess because of security? I am guessing the whole fromt will be re-done because surely they will have to have a central location for the security check point.

My father in law says Delta is giving up one of their gates at BNA, which he says doesn't make sense because Delta's flights in and out of here have picked up recently. Maybe rent was jacked up to 'make room' for jet blue? He doesn't know anything about Delta flying the 757's here, but they used to and were able to fill them up. He see's it as a good probability. Delta and several other airlines rent one of the end gates for use on their smaller jets and props. Delta currently flies MD-88's and CRJ's out of BNA.

Edited by rocky top buzz

Great shots, Lexy.

If ever you need a pic of the DHL jet landing, you have to be there about 6 in the morning,(Tu-Sa). I know the spot you take the shots from because I wait on the DHL flights there. I t seems as if they moved US Air over to the SW and American side too.

I dont know what is up with Delta dropping a gate, however if you fly in on Com Air, you have to walk across the tarmac.

Also, what is your source about SW looking to relocate out of Dallas and what cities are on the short list? You mentioned this at the forum meet.

There will be an Antonov 124-100 landing tomorrow moning here for the US Army. They are doing a pick-up and drop-off for them. Casey and I, along with about four others from the Nashville Aviation Photographer Group, will be going out on the actual runway to capture this massive bird as it lands and parks on the cargo ramp. (We are a part of this group and are in tight with Ground Ops. at the airport. They are the ones taking us out there.) I'll post pics tomorrow afternoon.

Isn't that currently the largest aircraft in the world, something like 1 1/2 times bigger than a 747? If so, I'm very anxious to see those pics.

Isn't that currently the largest aircraft in the world, something like 1 1/2 times bigger than a 747? If so, I'm very anxious to see those pics.

Here is the video!! YES A VIDEO of the landing this morning. I will post the pics ASAP though.

See if you see me and Casey.

Edited by Lexy

Here is the video!! YES A VIDEO of the landing this morning. I will post the pics ASAP though.

See if you see me and Casey.

Awesome video, my man! How the hell did you get permission to drive up and down next to the runway? Amazing. That plane is truly enormous!